Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: HG612 Line Stats - help needed  (Read 4600 times)

jimmyca69

HG612 Line Stats - help needed
« on: July 12, 2016, 01:11:30 PM »

Hi all

I wanted to get someone more knowledgeable than me to check my line stats to see if anything jumps out. I moved from Sky 80/20 FTTC to PlusNet's unlimited fibre extra. I had the Sky SR102 previously, but moved to a tweaked firmware HG612/RT-AC68U setup when I moved to PN.

On Sky I was getting around 60/20 connection but with PlusNet I am getting around 39/20. I checked the BT wholesale speed checker and it seems I have a 39/20 IP profile.

I have some basic line stats below but do have access to the HG612 Modem Stats software so can provide more if needed.

thanks in advance

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: HG612 Line Stats - help needed
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 01:30:58 PM »

I was going to say it looks like you're on the wrong profile,  but there isn't a 40/20 profile. Your sync speed shoukd be much closer to you're attainable speed. It's possible your down stream speed has been banded.

I would suggest posting on the Plusnet forums or contacting them.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 01:37:02 PM »

Can you go to http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ and run the tests there - including the 'Further Diagnostics'  one and post what it says here.

jimmyca69

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 07:34:30 PM »

Can you go to http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ and run the tests there - including the 'Further Diagnostics'  one and post what it says here.

Results below:

Download speed achieved during the test was - 35.83 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is  25.93 Mbps-37.05 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 37.05 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 14.86Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 08:11:02 PM »

You moved to plusnet did they give you a free Modem/Router and have you tested it ?

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 08:32:50 PM »

were you syncing at that before leaving sky? and have you been doing anything recently that would involve your line resyncing multiple times in the day? like testing different modems, rebooting them over and over or turning the power on and off.

if you just joined Plusnet and your syncing at 19999 upstream, you certainly shouldn't be syncing at 39999 downstream with that attainable and snrm. The line looks banded, and that would require an OR engineer visit to fix.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 08:45:41 PM »

How long since you moved ISP? What were the sync speeds on day 1? If they were different to the current sync speeds, when did they change?

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2016, 09:29:14 PM »

Could you also provide screenshots of the RT-AC68U settings please?

Asus are well known for some of their models not playing well with Openreach kit..

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 12:10:39 AM »

Could you also provide screenshots of the RT-AC68U settings please?

Asus are well known for some of their models not playing well with Openreach kit..
That couldn't possibly affect the sync being way lower than attainable, and the sync figure looking banded. throughput speeds yes, but we can see the sync.

jimmyca69

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2016, 10:23:15 AM »

Will try to answer all the questions put to me below....

- Didn't get free modem with PlusNet
- As original post I was getting around 60/20 sync and equivalent d/l speeds
- Haven't done anything recently to cause re-syncs (until yesterday when looking into it), in fact before yesterday it stated up time was around 180 days
- Joined PlusNet around Jan, when you say im sync'ing at 19999 up I shouldn't be getting 39999 down, do you mean it indicates I should be getting more down?
- As above joined fair few months ago, speed has been consistent - at start it was higher as I checked to compare and was around mid 50's but that was before any initial training etc.
- As per recent comment I don't see how the RT-AC68U settings would affect the sync speed of the HG612...

I contacted PlusNet technical support last night and the guy said it didn't look right as they had given me estimates of 52-72 speeds initially, he tried something and asked to reboot router to see if it worked. He said if it didn't sync higher then to raise a ticket and he sent me the link to do so. So will try that avenue as well.

If there are any other stats from the HG612 Modem Stats program that may be useful for me to post then please let me know!

Thanks all for your help so far  :cool:

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2016, 03:47:19 PM »

the point being made was that you appear to be on 40/20, but Plusnet no longer sell this package. but now you've confirmed you joined in January, when they were selling 40/20. you're either on a 40/20 package, or you're on 80/20 and your line has been banded by dlm, and it's a massive coincidence that it's banded exactly at the 40 figure.

when you log into your Plusnet account, does it confirm what package you're on? if it is definitely the fibre extra, and Plusnet confirm they are not limiting your downstream, your line is banded. that will require an engineer visit and a dlm reset.

I wonder if Black Sheep could let us know if there's any recent policy on this? as he's stated a number of times engineers are told only to perform a reset if a fault has been found on OpenReachs side of the master socket. The applying of banding and said banding sticking appears to be becoming more and more common.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2016, 03:51:10 PM »

Even if he was on the PN 40/20 product I'm sure the modem would be synced nearer the attainable and PN would limit the speed to 40.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2016, 04:35:16 PM »

- Joined PlusNet around Jan, when you say im sync'ing at 19999 up I shouldn't be getting 39999 down, do you mean it indicates I should be getting more down?

Openreach sell packages (to ISPs) at 40/2, 40/10, 55/10 and 80/20. The speeds are limited by Openreach in such a way that means the modems will not sync any higher than the package speed. So ... the only way to have a 19.999Mbps upstream sync speed is with an 80/20 package at the Openreach wholesale level.

However, the 80/20 is a maximum ... and other limitations can restrict your actual sync speed. The most obvious limit is distance - where a long line simply cannot attain a sync speed of 80 Mbps, so settles for something lower.

The other limit is an artificially-imposed one, where BT's quality-monitoring process "DLM" decides that your line is too unstable (too many bit errors, or too many resyncs), so imposes a lower speed limit in one or both directions. When this happens, it is known as banding, and usually results in a sync speed that is a few kbps below the band. 39.999Mbps is often seen as the sync speed of a 40/2 or 40/10 package, but it can also appear as a "banded" sync speed for a 55/10 or 80/20 package.

When you combine the analysis of both upstream and downstream together, it looks like you have an Openreach wholesale package of 80/20, where the downstream has been banded (by BT's DLM process) to a limit of 40Mbps.

- As above joined fair few months ago, speed has been consistent - at start it was higher as I checked to compare and was around mid 50's but that was before any initial training etc.

The "attainable" speed gives you some idea what you could achieve if the banding weren't in place. Your's reads 52Mbps, and you probably could get that - and probably used to.

You also have to remember that, as takeup has increased, so has the interference from crosstalk. FTTC suffers from this more acutely than ADSL, and as the consequent noise increases on a line, speeds drop somewhat and bit errors increase.

jimmyca69

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2016, 04:47:35 PM »

Thanks all

Yes definitely on the 80/20 Fibre extra package. I may have confused things by saying 40/20 but was only using it to show what I was sync'ing at.

Yes unfortunately aware of the crosstalk impact due to increased takeup, my house was on new estate and got full 80 before further new houses built and increased volume meant I went down to 55-60  :'( but no more houses in last 2 years so at least it peaked somewhat.

Will follow up with PN and see what they say as it does appear to be a banded line.

jimmyca69

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2016, 04:46:00 PM »

For reference i have registered on mydslwebstats (username jimmyca69) so if anyone gets chance my data should be uploading now  ;D
Pages: [1] 2

anything