Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Technicolor TG589vac  (Read 24061 times)

highpriest

• Reg Member
Re: Technicolor TG589vac
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2016, 10:20:35 AM »

I'm surprised telnet is not working, that's usually one of the strengths of Technicolor routers.
It can sometimes take two or three goes to get in, the username is often "admin" and the password is usually the 11 character serial number.
May be worth doing a factory reset, just in case someone has changed the password, and giving it another go.

As roswellgrey mentioned, telnet is definitely disabled. I have done a factory reset; had to do one anyway as the previous owner didn't reset the device and I couldn't login to it.

On earlier models, there was a trick where you could export a config backup file (which was in plain text), alter it, and re-upload to the device. That doesn't work on this device as the export is in binary format.
Zen | Zyxel VMG8324-B10A (with RFC4638 patch) | EdgeRouter PoE | UniFi AP AC Pro + Lite

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2016, 06:37:52 PM »

would be handy to get your hands on a retail model. If it's being sold retail there must surely be an unbranded firmware somewhere. I would be very surprised if they were selling it retail with ISP branding on the firmware.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

npr

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2016, 08:32:50 PM »

Some older Technicolor routers allowed different login usernames which gave higher privileges such as telnet.
Some usernames to try:
Superuser, SuperUser, superuser, root, Administrator
All with serial number as password.

Shame the the config file is encrypted, that may have helped if in plain text.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 09:06:00 PM by npr »

highpriest

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2016, 06:26:35 AM »

Some older Technicolor routers allowed different login usernames which gave higher privileges such as telnet.
Some usernames to try:
Superuser, SuperUser, superuser, root, Administrator
All with serial number as password.

Shame the the config file is encrypted, that may have helped if in plain text.

I'll give that a try, thanks. Although, when I login as admin, the only user account I can see on the system is 'admin'.
Zen | Zyxel VMG8324-B10A (with RFC4638 patch) | EdgeRouter PoE | UniFi AP AC Pro + Lite

Leew1988

• Just arrived
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2016, 06:18:04 PM »

I have the exact same router, bought from Carphone Warhouse when I was a customer there.
No longer with them, I am now Sky Broadband customer using this router.
Had no troubles getting the router to work with Sky but what does annoy me is all the Carphone Warhouse branding in the routers portal.

Did you ever manage to figure out how to remove all the branding? Ive been googling for it on and off for over a year....
Would really appreciate it removing it as I had a bad experience with Carphone Warhouse so I want nothing to do with them but seeing their branding annoys me

highpriest

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2016, 09:41:03 PM »

My version never had SSE branding. It is stock, as far as I can tell. The only thing they added was the SSE login details (username). I currently use a ZyXel VMG8324 so haven't used the Technicolor for a while now.

I did manage to gain access to the device using SSH using the account 'tech'. The password is printed on the bottom of the device, in the 'Access Key' section. See if SSH is enabled on your device. But no matter what I did, I couldn't get telnet working. Having said that, my OpenWrt knowledge is pretty rudimentary. All configuration is done using the UCI System, which is easy(ish) to learn.

Not all commands are allowed for user 'tech', even the ones they claim are allowed. It is a restrictive interface and I couldn't figure out how to drop into a full shell.

The branding could be more tricky to remove without having access to vanilla firmware.

highpriest

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2016, 09:59:37 PM »

Oh, I also removed the TR-069 ACS URL from the config.

Code: [Select]
cwmpd.cwmpd_config.acs_url='http://nld-acs.com'

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2016, 01:06:39 AM »

I have used some 'Free' ones off ' freecycle and used them for WiFi access points in dead zones. ;D these were 'locked' but that did not matter.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

soydemadrid

• Just arrived
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2017, 01:00:08 PM »

Oh, I also removed the TR-069 ACS URL from the config.

cwmpd.cwmpd_config.acs_url='http://nld-acs.com'

You can also disable CWMP/TR069 by accessing the gateway on 192.168.1.1/?debug=1 and there is then an option there to disable it.

What I'm struggling with is finding out how to take the preconfigured ISP settings out so that when you do a factory reset there not there again. Does anybody yet have a firmware that will take this router back to stock/vanilla? Or can this also be done somehow from ssh?

ejsolutions

• Just arrived
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2017, 07:58:37 PM »

Using the ssh method used by highpriest ( :graduate: Thanks!), enter the following:
uci set system.config.export_unsigned='1'
uci set system.config.export_plaintext='1'
uci system.config.import_plaintext='1'
uci system.config.import_unsigned='1'
uci commit
..import_plaintext is set to 1 by default on my router.
Now when you export the config in the web GUI, it will be viewable/editable. I managed to remove sse specific info, for example.
Good luck.  :fingers:

« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 12:52:40 AM by ejsolutions »
Pages: 1 [2]

anything