Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Technicolor TG589vac  (Read 24140 times)

highpriest

• Reg Member
Technicolor TG589vac
« on: July 09, 2016, 06:26:28 PM »

Any users of the TG589vac here? Looks like a good bit of kit, and I managed to nab one for cheap off eBay (was a unit supplied by SSE to one of its customers).

Problem is - I can't find unlocked/generic firmware for it anywhere. The firmware on it currently is SSE specific but the only customisation appears to be that the username is pre-populated. There's probably some TR-069 config buried in there somewhere but I'm not able to unearth it.

Does anyone know how to install generic firmware on this device? Indeed, does such a thing even exist? Is there a way to enable telnet access?
Zen | Zyxel VMG8324-B10A (with RFC4638 patch) | EdgeRouter PoE | UniFi AP AC Pro + Lite

highpriest

• Reg Member
Re: Technicolor TG589vac
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 01:25:54 AM »

No one?
Zen | Zyxel VMG8324-B10A (with RFC4638 patch) | EdgeRouter PoE | UniFi AP AC Pro + Lite

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 05:14:53 PM »

:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 05:26:46 PM »

highpriest

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 11:07:12 PM »

Thank you. I tried phoning them but even the support staff tell me that they don't have access to the firmware!

Apparently it is never supplied to consumers directly; only to ISPs who have an active agreement, and only firmware that is specially customised for them. Oh well, time to sell it on I think :(

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 01:01:49 AM »

Broadband Buyer are definitely selling it direct to the public at http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/products/23623-thomson-tg589vac/

I imagine they won't be the only ones (not that I have looked!)

highpriest

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 01:17:04 PM »

Broadband Buyer are definitely selling it direct to the public at http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/products/23623-thomson-tg589vac/
Sorry, I meant the firmware, not the device itself which, as you mentioned, is sold by a number of online vendors. I emailed Broadband Buyer support and apparently even they do not have access to the firmware files! Also spoke to my ISP (Plusnet) and they can't support this either.

My only hope is if the likes of OpenWrt produce a firmware that's compatible with this hardware.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 02:54:09 PM »

It's extremely unlikely that OpenWRT would produce a firmware for it, or if they did, then the DSL wouldn't function because Broadcom DSL drivers aren't open source, and then it would be very difficult to install any custom firmware.

npr

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 03:39:16 PM »

If it helps, the usual way to disable TR-069 on a Technicolor routers is to disable CWMP via telnet.
http://npr.me.uk/telnet.html#cwmp

Are you sure it's locked to a ISP?

If it is, I would guess it's also locked to that ISP's firmware.

highpriest

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2016, 12:33:41 PM »

It's extremely unlikely that OpenWRT would produce a firmware for it, or if they did, then the DSL wouldn't function because Broadcom DSL drivers aren't open source, and then it would be very difficult to install any custom firmware.

Thanks, didn't know that.

highpriest

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2016, 12:37:16 PM »

If it helps, the usual way to disable TR-069 on a Technicolor routers is to disable CWMP via telnet.
http://npr.me.uk/telnet.html#cwmp

Are you sure it's locked to a ISP?

If it is, I would guess it's also locked to that ISP's firmware.

I don't believe it is, I'm sure it will work with Plusnet as the username/password fields are all freely accessible (just pre-populated with SSE details but they can be removed).

Also, with this firmware, I don't have telnet access to the device. Plus without continuous access to new firmware releases, I'm missing out on technical, security and stability improvements.

npr

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2016, 09:45:55 PM »

I'm surprised telnet is not working, that's usually one of the strengths of Technicolor routers.
It can sometimes take two or three goes to get in, the username is often "admin" and the password is usually the 11 character serial number.
May be worth doing a factory reset, just in case someone has changed the password, and giving it another go.

roswellgrey

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2016, 08:44:07 AM »

I have one of these (makes for a good spare) and telnet is definately disabled, unfortunately.
btw : on the sse firmware, the default user/pass is "admin/admin" (it's not the usual serial number == password)
And regarding PPP lock - it did work with BT PPP credentials on Infinity before I migrated (can't speak for any other ISPs obviously)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 08:55:33 AM by roswellgrey »
Billion 8800NL

RayW

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2016, 09:34:15 AM »

I don't own one of these units, but their seems to be quite a lot of information it @ http://www.nickdj.co.uk/internet/router-guides/technicolor-tg589vac.html?ckattempt=1

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2016, 01:02:29 PM »

I don't own one of these units, but their seems to be quite a lot of information it @ http://www.nickdj.co.uk/internet/router-guides/technicolor-tg589vac.html?ckattempt=1

As mentioned by gt94sss2 in Reply #3, above.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: [1] 2