News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: bridge  (Read 4331 times)

d2d4j

• Kitizen
Re: bridge
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2016, 10:55:16 AM »

Hi

I'm sorry I cannot think of the user who posted but it was not me but they posted that they use garden hose to lay external network cable, to act as protection

Just thought I'd mention it here if your going to lay cable in garden, which I agree, I would run cable and not use bridge (probable use PoE AP)

Many thanks

John

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2016, 03:07:35 PM »

Hi

I'm sorry I cannot think of the user who posted but it was not me but they posted that they use garden hose to lay external network cable, to act as protection

Just thought I'd mention it here if your going to lay cable in garden, which I agree, I would run cable and not use bridge (probable use PoE AP)

Many thanks

John

cheers sounds like a good idea  :)

door_bell

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2016, 06:57:11 PM »

I'm sure I posted similar to this before, but I can't find it. I'm having a stupid day (like most days). I needed a PTP link between two houses "for a short time" that has actually ended up being two years. It's flawless in every way - plus, when I'm finally done I've already sold the kit for exactly what I've paid for it. Basically free broadband for a year. Setup in bridge mode with an access point, it's exactly the same as being at the main house. I used the Ubiquity Loco M5 (5GHz model) which is capable of up to 10+KM links - WAY more than I need, but it's perfectly suitible for smaller distances too as it tunes the power needed to get the most stable connection. https://www.ubnt.com/airmax/nanostationm/ You can see the size of the Loco here - very unobtrusive: This is the link distance and stats. You can use their website highlighted to work out any issues - height is usually a problem (read about fresnel, beam width, etc). It's a tiny link here - no issues. Kit arrived, which was: Two M5 Loco's 2 power leads for the injectors (UK style) 2 Omni brackets for pole/wall mounting Here is the loco front and back - nice and simple, doesn't draw attention: Power injector (it's powered over ethernet, making the installation outdoors VERY simple). The mounting brackets...... All put together, which took minutes: and Where unit A is being installed - this is where the Virgin connection is (just a 60/2 or whatever they sell these days). Prepping the wire.... All crimped and ready to test.... Perfick.... Connecting to the Virgin super hub.... Done side A - you wouldn't even notice.... Glory shot.... This is side B - the other house up on the aerial: A view of the shot from the back of Loco B..... I actually found a tip for doing the alignment (aside from using the link lights on the back....). Put a bike reflector on unit A and a GREEN laser on unit B and move it around. When you get the alignment nearly night and the laser hits the reflector you get a MASSIVE starbust lol For confirmation, the Loco's have LED indicators of the link strength. These can be tuned in the software if you want to be bang on the money..... Final install at side B - you wouldn't even spot it as you walk past..... The unit goes down to the POE injector and ethernet goes to an AP - job done. Speed test at side B - 1ms of latency added with full speed. Final link stats..... Summary..... It's been running for nearly two years. Never skips a beat, uptime (other than my own doing) is flawless and it's performed WAY better than I'd ever imagined it has. Rain, snow, sun - the works, never drops the link or reduces in speed, not that it matters with the over head. With a bit more tweaking, I'm sure I could hit the full 300mbps, but I'm not going to loose any sleep over it - the internet link is only 60 anyway. If you need an option to digging, this is it! Hope it helps! Happy to answer any questions if I can. D_B

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2016, 08:01:49 PM »

Wow, wow, wow !!! Great write up door_bell ..................... even a thicko like me followed it. Never even knew such things existed. Wow again.  :) :) :)

door_bell

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2016, 08:36:48 PM »

My pleasure. It was fun doing the install, although I'm not a fan of heights. All of my family don't seem to bounce well......  :lol:

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2016, 09:05:37 PM »

Its kind of having Microwave 5G wireless

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2016, 07:22:29 AM »

brilliant  :) if all else fails think with your instructions even I could do it  ;D

door_bell

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2016, 12:33:31 PM »

No worries.

Just for completeness, I got them from www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk and costs from my confirmation are here:

ORDER DETAILS:

1 x Ubiquiti Nano Universal Bracket (Wall or Pole Mount) @ £5.63 each
1 x Ubiquiti NanoStation Loco M5 airMax Outdoor 5Ghz 13dBi WiFi Point-to-Point PtP Link Kit (150Mbps) @ £89.99 each

Sub Total £95.62
Delivery £3.00
VAT £19.72
Grand Total £118.34

If you are going for the burial route, then you should look at gel flooded cat5e cable - it's designed for direct in the ground burial, but it's messy as hell to work with when terminating  ???

Customer service was spot on and I'd use them again in a heartbeat. I ordered the M5's and then realised I needed different mounts. Done a seperate order as it was late and accepted the £3 quid delivery for both.

They rang me in the morning first thing and asked if I'd cocked up, which I had, then rolled them into the same order and refunded the extra £3 - nice!

Top service.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything