Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Plusnet FTTC.  (Read 4284 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Plusnet FTTC.
« on: July 06, 2016, 11:05:51 AM »

I am trying to help the chap who we rented the holiday bungalow in Suffolk with his FTTC connection.

He upgraded two months ago to FTTC, he is about 600 metre from Cab 8 and he has done some speed checks and it is sometimes 4Mbps other times 24Mbps it should be about 35Mbps down and 8 up.
I got him to to re-boot the router with it off for more than 31 minutes, but it was just the same.

He has got a 'Plusnet Hub One made by Sagecom'

I'm trying to get the router stats & QLT, from him , I ask him to do speed check over an Ethernet cable and not WiFi..

I also told him to follow the basic tests on the on the 'Plusnet' website Etc. also on the video

https://youtu.be/br8Q3S-fOl4

I know some of you are on 'Plusnet' what's best for him to do raise a 'Ticket' ?
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
Re: Plusnet FTTC.
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 11:23:04 AM »

Hi tickmike

I could be wrong so apologise in advance but this sounds like the difference in understanding connected speed to throughput speed

What is the router actually connected at

Which speedtest site were you testing on

I do not use plusnet but I think they should have their own speedtest

Many thanks

John

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 02:05:51 PM »

I am 120 miles away from him all I can do is to get him to provide me with the info in my first post.

His speed test vary between 4 and 24 Mbps down  :o, it should not do that.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 02:19:50 PM »

Hi tickmike

Sorry, yes speedtests can and do those results for various reasons

Programs running in PC

State of any 1 or more hops

Test server under load

Hardwired to wifi difference

Antivirus

State of the PC

The above are just a few reasons

The general rule I go by is if the router is connected at correct speed to Internet, problem usually lies on LAN side (note usually not always)

We have a test server on speedguide.net, which I know the condition of network and server, as they are ours

Good luck in resolving the issue and hope you post an update

Many thanks

John

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 02:31:53 PM »

it should not be varying by that amount.

mlmclaren

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 02:54:30 PM »

Possibly a congestion issue... does it happen at certain times?

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 05:51:15 PM »

speed tests on external sites can vary massively, and is no definite indication at all as to what speed the line is performing at. d2d4j gave you just some of the reasons for inaccurate speed tests, there's 101 other reasons it could be. getting them to login to the modem would be my 1st action. If they are really computer illiterate, ask them to run tests on different sites, including the bt speed test.

if I ran 10 speed tests right now all on different sites I pretty much guarantee at least 1 of them would be ridiculously low compared to the others.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Iain

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2016, 06:04:24 PM »

The first thing I would suggest is get him to log into the Hub, go to the Troubleshooting Tab, then Helpdesk Tab and post the results in there, exclude the personal stuff like username and perhaps SSID's. Then you can start to determine if it is the line, of the local connections.

Also send him across to the PN Community, he will get lots of help over there, and maybe save going through "middlemen" ;-)

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2016, 09:40:39 PM »

As I put in my first post 'I'm trying to get the router stats & QLT, from him' and other details.

I did try to see the detail but it needed un & pw , while we used his holiday home as we could use his poor broadband connection across the road (that's another thing I am going to help him with a 'WiFi Bridge link' ).

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2016, 10:51:04 PM »

His speed test vary between 4 and 24 Mbps down  :o, it should not do that.

As others have mentioned is can and does.  I was had a similar convo just last Sat with someone calling their ISP speeds rubbish, when in fact it turned out to be wifi and the connection itself was perfectly fine :(
Unfortunatley an awful lot of people genuinely dont realise that performing a speed test over wi-fi or when some other person/app may be using the connection is not a good guide to performance.
I could in fact repeat similar results with my own connection.  I may get 75Mbps whilst in this room, but in the kitchen I may only get 5Mbps.

I did try to see the detail but it needed un & pw

See here:- Plusnet Hub One Line Stats
The Hub One is based on the HH5A so stats are very limited but you should at least get the sync speed.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2016, 11:03:29 PM »

see it everywhere, read some random post on a forum, the person is getting bad speeds, then an hour later they admit they using wifi, and its all good on ethernet. :)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2016, 07:33:24 AM »

I also see this on a weekly basis ........... used to be pretty much a daily basis, so maybe the ISP's are insisting on the EU using a wired speedtest ??. The only serve-ball with this is, a lot of younger families only have smart phone devices rendering them unable to perform a wired test.

Ironically, my very first job today is a 'Slow speed' issue. WHOOSH RRT (28 day history) shows this circuit has been as close to pure perfect as you could hope to ever get !! The EU's attenuation is rock-steady, the MTBE's are 3600 constant, there are no 'Loss of link', there are no 'Intiialisations', both up and downstream speeds are at their full product values and remained constant .................... blah-de-blah ............... so 95% of the time I can hazard a guess that the issue is Wi-Fi related ?.

However, there's always an 'however'   ;) .............. I've had a few occasions where exact (or similar) pre-visit checks have me feeling smug and it's come back to haunt me with wired tests against my works laptop constantly giving lower than expected speeds.
The rare reason is down to 'Low light levels' which lies on OR's side of the fence, a poor optical splice in other words. But more often than not it will be the ISP's server or similar causing the issue. Thankfully BTw can by-pass the ISP's path, so we can prove conclusively that the throughput issue lies in their domain. Right ..... off to work.  :)

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2016, 10:34:45 AM »

Thanks all.
I have still not had an feedback from him yet, I know he has to go to London often as he is an important musician in a famous Orchestra. ;)

As well as asking him to do some tests over Ethernet cable I also ask him to talk with his neighbors and see what if any problems with speed checks they get.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2016, 03:03:25 PM »

The only feedback had from him is that BTOR is coming out to check for dry joint on the pole outside his house where he has previous problems .

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
    • Newton Poppleford Weather
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2016, 04:36:54 PM »

Did you get any other information from him?

anything