Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Can a PPP re-connect conceivably affect error rates  (Read 1578 times)

aesmith

• Kitizen
Can a PPP re-connect conceivably affect error rates
« on: July 05, 2016, 01:48:13 PM »

Hi,

Our DSL is struggling on until a copper line issue is resolved, hopefully later this week.  Till then it goes through episodes of really high error rates which from time to time cause the speeds to be knocked right back.   What I noticed the other day, and this could be a pure coincidence, is that errors dropped to effectively nothing after a PPP disconnect/reconnect.   Could these possibly be related?   On the A&A page they taking snapshot checks every hour, these were all showing between 20 and 80 ES in the last 15 minutes.  From the disconnect/reconnect these are all showing either 0 or 1 ES.   DSL Stats shows the same, CRCs dropping to almost zero, FECs dropping right down.

Can it possibly be anything but a coincidence?   There was no disconnection at the DSL level.

ejs

• Kitizen
Re: Can a PPP re-connect conceivably affect error rates
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 06:17:43 PM »

I wouldn't have thought the PPP reconnection could have caused the errors to cease. What caused the PPP to reconnect though, do it happen by itself or did you trigger it? It is possible to have so many errors that the PPP connection will drop (possibly due to the LCP traffic being lost), but without the DSL itself dropping. So I suppose the PPP reconnection could have been caused by some source of interference switching off with a final big burst of noise.

aesmith

• Kitizen
Re: Can a PPP re-connect conceivably affect error rates
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 07:29:08 PM »

PPP disconnect/reconnect was manual from my end in order to pick up correct BRAS profile after a speed increase a few days ago.

Edit - wasn't really thinking that the PPP could affect the DSL line itself, but whether in some way that could have given the DSL circuitry or software inside the equipment some sort of kick.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 07:58:31 PM by aesmith »

anything