Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: SSE - Daisy Wholesale - FTTC  (Read 4651 times)

Oldjim

• Reg Member
SSE - Daisy Wholesale - FTTC
« on: July 05, 2016, 11:45:51 AM »

Does anyone know if this is via BT or is it LLU
If LLU whose is it
Jim
Plusnet

roswellgrey

Re: SSE - Daisy Wholesale - FTTC
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 05:06:25 PM »

It is not LLU (definately so as I have no LLU options at all on my Market A exchange)
Billion 8800NL

Oldjim

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 05:36:27 PM »

thanks - I thought that as I only have Sky, TalkTalk and Vodaphone on mine
Jim
Plusnet

Oldjim

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 05:42:08 PM »

Are you on fibre or ADSL and how are you finding the actual speeds
Actually just realised that you may not be using them and if so the above is meaningless
Jim
Plusnet

roswellgrey

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 06:13:52 PM »

I am with them - FTTC - migrated to them (away from BT) almost a month ago.

I can expand on my experience if interested,  but in a concise summary :

- 100% uptime so far
 - the phone service is just fine
 - during the day, it is "snappier" than Infinity and ping times have reduced significantly
 - despite what you might have read elsewhere (hotukdeals thread for example - this is some serious misinformation there), my observations and logging shows that it is traffic shaped a la their T&Cs, and this kicks in mid afternoon -> midnight
 - single threaded http downloads are hit hard during this period  - this is what people are moaning about elsewhere due to not understanding the underlying difference between types of traffic (not being nasty here, honest)
 - streaming (in my case Amazon Prime Video) has worked extremely well - HD 1080p every evening with no problems (and I have burnt through about 180 GB of Amazon streaming).
 - During periods of high load (high profile euro footie matches), it has seriously run out of capacity  - I didn't actually realise that BBC iplayer would put out such low bit rates :) , however, this really is the exception, not the rule, and from what I read on TBB even Zen had a problem as well.

Happy punter here BUT I walked into this with my eyes open after reading their T&Cs and accepting that a "free" service must have its limitations.
However, if you expect to download, for example, Linux ISOs in the evening using standard single-threaded downloads @ near sync speed, go elsewhere - you will be disappointed. Cannot comment on p2p as I don't do it.

If, however, you want a zero cost fibre service with known limitations, I think it's a bit of a bargin (ymmv of course)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 06:19:20 PM by roswellgrey »
Billion 8800NL

Oldjim

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 09:20:39 PM »

Looks like the 80/20 package has been dropped and all you get is either 40/10 or 40/2 (I haven't found the upload specified anywhere)
EDIT
It depends on whether you go to https://www.sse.co.uk/phone-and-broadband#Phone-broadband or https://www.southern-electric.co.uk/PhoneAndBroadband/
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 09:26:45 PM by Oldjim »
Jim
Plusnet

roswellgrey

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 07:59:32 AM »

I just checked my line with their checker and it is showing the 80/20 product as available. Does the BTW checker show theoretical sync of say < 50 Mbps for your line  ?
It's just that I think I remember reading somewhere that others were not seeing the 80/20 package offered if theoretical sync speed made that package relatively worthless.

Regarding upload - as you spotted, the upload is not detailed by the checker. If I had been looking at the 40/10 offering, I would have rung them to be 100% sure it wasn't the 40/2 product, but I haven't seen any mention of it elsewhere .... (Are there any other ISPs other than Plusnet offering the 40/2 product ?)

One other personal opinion I should have added to my post above - if a potential customer is going to use speedtest results (especially single threaded results) as the yardstick of happyness, I would avoid this service. If you fall into that camp, you will probably never be happy. There are quite a few people who are seeing poor speedtest results and hence think the service is rubbish. And lets face it, traffic management is rare thesedays. This is not an unfettered service - they do make that clear in their product documentation but seemingly some people don't read before they buy .... It will fit some peoples requirements (i.e. ours) and won't meet others ....
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 08:17:57 AM by roswellgrey »
Billion 8800NL

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2016, 09:15:01 AM »

Daisy have their own core transit and use BTw's WBC for backhaul. 
As such they are responsible for purchasing their own bandwidth/MSILs at each of the interconnects. (ie like Enta)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Oldjim

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2016, 09:19:55 AM »

the Southern Electric checker shows up to 53.9 same as the BT checker (actually sync 46Mb/s)
Jim
Plusnet

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2016, 03:04:36 PM »

.... (Are there any other ISPs other than Plusnet offering the 40/2 product ?)

TalkTalk are another CP who supplies the Openreach 40/2 product.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

roswellgrey

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2016, 06:06:30 PM »

Billion 8800NL