Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: BT re-contract, DLM?  (Read 7018 times)

planetf1

BT re-contract, DLM?
« on: July 05, 2016, 11:22:14 AM »

I just renewed my BT broadband contract on Saturday. BT Infinity 1 unlimited before and after. I was on a 35 Mbps downstream. this had been solid for 60+ days, though I had a power trip about a week ago, and again yesterday :-( That being said I checked and was still at 35 Mbps last night. G.INP was in use. Frustratingly my speed seemed capped at a solid 35 Mbps, down from ~ 38 Mbps prior to some "experimenting" with a BT Hh5 vs AC900 vs HG612.

I just checked now and notice my speed has dropped to 31.4 Mbps. Interleaving has increased (ping 14 ms -> 30ms) and G.INP is now disabled (no bearer 1). This surprised me as there was no service change. I'm guessing a DLM reset has happened. Either that or a co-incident policy change (I'm on Huwaii) . Also a chance it could have been the power blip at the weekend (wish I'd remembered to unplug the modem!) .   I also assume that over the next few weeks that process will continue and most likely I'll end up back at 35 Mbps or above, with G.INP

Just thought I'd mention as it caught me unawares.

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
    • Newton Poppleford Weather
Re: BT re-contract, DLM?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 04:17:05 PM »

You've experienced the worst DLM reset, I had it when I re-contracted, it applies interleaving and removes G.INP but worst of all doesn't remove banding.

planetf1

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 07:24:46 AM »

It's very odd since the connection seems to be stable, certainly the number of errors seconds was around 1 or 2 per day. The blip was near instantaneous (RCD trip) so just one odd loss of sync. Sadly my logging wasn't enabled to be sure of what was being recorded.

So I guess it was recontracting.

:-( sigh.. though if so hopefully recovery will be quick, at least to the previous 35 Mbps band (which had stuck for months .. that's annoying too)

planetf1

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 12:11:47 AM »

A few days later and I'm stalled at 31400 sync (stable for 3.5 days) with no G.INP. I assume I just need to wait longer

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 03:55:47 PM »

I assume I just need to wait longer

Yes. I realise it can be frustrating but the best advice is to just make use of the service and try not to be concerned about the finer details of the connection. When the moment is ripe, the DLM will take the appropriate action.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

planetf1

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 09:54:32 AM »

Nearly a month on, and no sign of G.INP coming back.
I've had one drop only (a power off for a few hours to move furniture/kit around). VDSL very stable, though down 10-12% on my stable long term speeds before first some short term instability (due to crappy HH5a modem - caused DLM speed cap),[then stable for 60 days] and then the product switch which knocked out G.INP (huwaii cab) - the latter was around 7.5% of the drop.

:-( Not disasterous, though a tad frustrating in both cases especially as recovery doesn't seem to be happening....

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
    • Newton Poppleford Weather
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 09:57:10 AM »

Hmm, it took several weeks for G.INP to come back on my line.

KIAB

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 10:05:39 AM »

Took nearly four weeks here to get G INP back, after engineering work, just have to be patient.;D

Interceptor121

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 01:58:55 PM »

From my experience the upgrade does not result in a complete reset. It changes the RAS profile and if you use the bt homehub reboots the router. If you don't use the BT hub the modem will not reboot by itself. Have you checked your HG612 logs? After the change my connection went from no error correction to retransmission high and interleave low to retrasmission and interleave low. However due to bad weather the line had some rocky days and am now banded at 40 vs 43.5 max

gazaai

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2016, 03:14:30 PM »

I'm now over four weeks and still no G.INP for me yet  :'(
Plusnet: 80 / 20
MDWS Username: GaZaai

Modem: Billion 8800NL (Bridge Mode)
Router + AP: NETGEAR R7800 (OpenWRT/LEDE)
APs: 2x Linksys Linksys EA6700

peterj

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2016, 08:19:56 PM »

I don't know if it's just a coincidence of timing, but since the rollback of G.Inp on ECI the DLM behaviour seems to have become much more conservative. Like BT decided to throw baby, bath and all out with the bath water.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2016, 09:08:45 PM »

The worst bit is that, while the timing went with the ECI fiasco, this "Donald trump" level of conservatism is liberally spread to Huawei too.

Interceptor121

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2016, 09:31:59 PM »

I would just say use a modem with the broadcom chipset.
Until I used the ECI modem I did not get G.INP which was my original situation with plus net for two years when I was interleaved
But with the HG612 or BT Homehub 5b you will get it
I do not know what chipset the AC900 comes with in doubt I would leave the HG612 connected

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2016, 10:13:40 PM »

Have to say as a BT wholesale customer kind of worried here to have to wait 7 weeks for G.INP to kick in by changing ISP provider or even getting an OR Engineer out to reset the line as both will take G.INP offline for near to 2 months crazy tactics.

I can remember back a year ago once a line was reset by OR Engineer G.INP came back online in 2-4 days
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 10:37:18 PM by NewtronStar »

Interceptor121

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2016, 08:50:10 AM »

Have to say as a BT wholesale customer kind of worried here to have to wait 7 weeks for G.INP to kick in by changing ISP provider or even getting an OR Engineer out to reset the line as both will take G.INP offline for near to 2 months crazy tactics.

I can remember back a year ago once a line was reset by OR Engineer G.INP came back online in 2-4 days

This looks like intentional code design. The procedure goes from no error correction to interleaved and finally to G.INP. Maybe it needs information on how good or bad interleaving performs in order to set the INP level appropriately?? You would argue it could start with retransmission low then high before changing interleave depth but this not the way it seems to work
Pages: [1] 2

anything