Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: possibly being switched cabinet (hopefully)  (Read 4996 times)

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
Re: possibly being switched cabinet (hopefully)
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2016, 04:26:46 PM »

Yes, it will trigger a DLM reset. However, it doesn't remove banding if that has been applied to a line.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2016, 04:40:04 PM »

For what its worth a couple of cabinets in my area which were not FTTC enabled got enabled earlier this year and they both hauwei with the rest of the area from the original rollout been ECI.  They are both on a business estate near me which openreach didnt enable when they did the residential areas.  I am pretty sure they fed from my exchange but I dont know for sure until I get confirmation back on it.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2016, 04:59:31 PM »

were they funded by BDUK though? as all the BDUK cabs appear to be Huawei. I've seen 2 Huawei together, 2 ECI together, but haven't seen a mix from the same PCP.

The Magenta database lists every commercial cab on my exchange as ECI. every cabinet installed after 2015 is Huawei, but they are all BDUK funded. Is OpenReach still installing ECI cabs?
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2016, 05:24:02 PM »

I'm happy with my outcome. I'm probably now a few peoples favourite neighbour lol. Have tried over and over to get the database updated with no success. I've had so many different replies from the general OpenReach enquires email including;
1) the database can't be updated
2) you must be mistaken, you can't have fibre (lol what)
3) didn't read my email at all, and replied with the default "we are continuously investing in our network, please keep checking fibre may come to your area soon"
and 4) just wait, after 1 year it automatically updates the database (pure lie).

the lovely lady at DSO/Customer resolution assures me they have created a new form for the enquires team to complete when someone raises this issue again. the CEO must be getting fed up with all the emails lol.

random question Black Sheep. I just checked the road works map and OpenReach are doing heavy impact works at my cabinet next week. Hopefully a new cabinet. Can they place a Huawei next to an ECI? all the new cabinets I see being fitted are Huawei, but I'm not sure if that's just because they are BDUK. The original run of cabinets were all ECI.

I'm afraid I wouldn't know, J0hn .............. cab installation isn't even on my radar when it comes down to my day-to-day tasks. Sorry.  :)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2016, 05:43:32 PM »

Doesn't seem like much has changed in the last four years regarding these types of problems, hopefully this new form will bring about changes.

PS. Am I your favourite forum member for making the suggestion  ;D

Regarding 'change' within Openreach.

Since the recent appointment of Clive Selley to CEO, things are changing .......... rapidly and for the better. I've been at BT now waaaay long enough to have heard all the usual sh1t that comes with a new CEO .... how "Exciting" the journey will be, how if we all "Get on board" the EU will have a marvellous "Experience". Sh1t, sh1t and more sh1t.
However, whenever someone at my level had the audacity to say those above were getting it wrong, we were targeted as being bad for the business touting their favourite buzz-word ........... "Negativity".

Well, Mr Selley (Who started at BT 25+yrs ago as an engineer), appears to be listening to us now. Not just the usual lip-service and forget about it ..... in the short space of time he has been in the chair, massive sea-changes have taken place !! Ownership of high repeat-reports by the managers is one of them, they have to go on daily conference calls explaining what is being done and they are getting their ar5es kicked severely if progress isn't being made.

But for me, the very latest change ..... only announced this last week ...... is how we are moving back to team-based measures. Not the micro-managed individual stats that were tearing the company apart by different departments loathe to co-operate as it would harm their 'dashboard' (Stats on a page) as it's called.
The upper echelon have stated just today in a voicemail to all engineers, "We got it wrong, we were micro-managing and productivity biased" (or words to that effect) ............ I have never, ever heard this level of management say this before about something as huge as what this is. I suppose you have to work in the company to understand the impact of it all ??.

So, CEO's come and CEO's go ...... all have a new broom with which to sweep, but I haven't felt as good about a CEO since the days of Ian Vallance.  :) :)
Hopefully all good news for you guys.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2016, 06:51:00 PM »

All sounds very promising, hopefully things improve for everyone.

However, whenever someone at my level had the audacity to say those above were getting it wrong, we were targeted as being bad for the business touting their favourite buzz-word ........... "Negativity".

I work for a small company, but I know the above only too well, I keep my head down below the parapet these days.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2016, 07:09:23 PM »

Yes, it will trigger a DLM reset. However, it doesn't remove banding if that has been applied to a line.
i don't understated that at all. my line is technically "banded" at 39994 as part of my product, it's never dropped below that. so... that makes no sense to me at all

edit: I'm not arguing that point. I literally don't understand that scenario.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2016, 07:13:35 PM »

That's the thing though, Ron ........... 'we' see it as realistic, they call it negative. Then, as has happened in my business, they admit they got it wrong and all of a sudden realism is acceptable ??. Really gets my goat !!!!  >:( >:( >:(

I'm not daft enough not to realise that's how it is with higher management and us. I just hate seeing a tried and tested way of working, gradually going downhill because of changes sake. There's only so many ways you can pour a glass of milk, but industry seems hell-bent these days on doing it faster, cheaper and not looking at the end-game. Hopefully, the moves being put in place at OR will curb this madness ??.  :)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2016, 07:19:14 PM »

i don't understated that at all. my line is technically "banded" at 39994 as part of my product, it's never dropped below that. so... that makes no sense to me at all

edit: I'm not arguing that point. I literally don't understand that scenario.

In laymans terms, the 'bit of kit' that controls your connection speed (DLM), will adjust certain parameters on individuals circuits. You could end up with a scenario whereby you are 'banded' between lets say 18-20Mbps due to a line fault condition, whereas in reality, if that condition was repaired, your circuit could achieve between 35-40Mbps ??

There's a mind-set on here that there are different types of DLM reset ............ I personally have only ever seen a DLM reset remove any banding put in place by DLM, however the thinking on here is that the banding will remain if you just change ISP's ??

The good news for you is, you appear to be on a DLM 'Open-profile' which means it is looking at giving you the highest speed achievable.  :)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2016, 07:23:17 PM »

were they funded by BDUK though? as all the BDUK cabs appear to be Huawei. I've seen 2 Huawei together, 2 ECI together, but haven't seen a mix from the same PCP.

The Magenta database lists every commercial cab on my exchange as ECI. every cabinet installed after 2015 is Huawei, but they are all BDUK funded. Is OpenReach still installing ECI cabs?

nope I am in a city area, not BDUK cabinets.

No mixed cabinets either, these are PCPs which had no FTTC cabinet before.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 07:27:17 PM by Chrysalis »

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2016, 07:27:15 PM »

In laymans terms, the 'bit of kit' that controls your connection speed (DLM), will adjust certain parameters on individuals circuits. You could end up with a scenario whereby you are 'banded' between lets say 18-20Mbps due to a line fault condition, whereas in reality, if that condition was repaired, your circuit could achieve between 35-40Mbps ??

There's a mind-set on here that there are different types of DLM reset ............ I personally have only ever seen a DLM reset remove any banding put in place by DLM, however the thinking on here is that the banding will remain if you just change ISP's ??

Sorry BS, as far as I'm concerned there are 2 types of DLM reset despite what you say. Switching from 38 to 55 caused a DLM reset on my line but did not remove banding. Fact.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2016, 07:46:59 PM »

Switching from 38 to 55 caused a DLM reset on my line but did not remove banding.

Is your circuit still banded or have you finally managed to get that condition removed?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2016, 07:54:25 PM »

Its still banded. However, I have made no attempt at getting it removed 35M is plenty fast enough for my needs and life is too short to speak to the BT 'helpdesk'. I await the miraculous decision by DLM to automatically remove it.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2016, 07:56:42 PM »

I don't think your line is banded in the sense we mean it - where DLM has artificially limited the speed due to a poor line/disconnections.

Looking at the all user charts on MDWS, an actual sync rate of 39994 looks like a consequence of being on a non G.INP ECI cabinet with a 40MB product that has a INP value of 3.5 and a delay of 8ms - so its a consequence of the framing parameters applied by the DSLAM

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2016, 08:07:48 PM »

nope I am in a city area, not BDUK cabinets.
is that an assumption, or have you checked that on the likes of Magenta? there's BDUK cabinets in the middle of Edinburgh city centre, and commercial cabinets in the middle of nowhere
Sorry BS, as far as I'm concerned there are 2 types of DLM reset despite what you say. Switching from 38 to 55 caused a DLM reset on my line but did not remove banding. Fact.
that's a confusing way to put it. 38 to 52 or 40 to 55 surely, depending on wether your using ISP/OpenReach figures.

so if a line is banded below 40, going up a product on the same speed/standard profile keeps the banding? very confusing
Pages: 1 [2] 3