Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: ZyXel VMG8324 and Sky Fibre  (Read 7531 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: ZyXel VMG8324 and Sky Fibre
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2016, 10:17:06 AM »

I did read somewhere else that the Option 61 data does not seem to be being checked any more so perhaps it depends on how you specify the data in the router gui. You may or may not have to prefix the hex data with '0x', have you tried it both ways?

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2016, 10:35:45 AM »

IPv6 is incorrect. What do you actually see when IPv4 is correctly selected? A screenshot would help ;)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 10:38:39 AM by Dray »

aruba

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2016, 11:17:28 AM »

Thanks for your replies...

I've had a go with the 0x prefix, but no joy.

The options when IPv4 are selected are the same as npr's screenshot. The IPv6 ones are removed, but they are further down.

The issue I guess is not knowing what's supposed to go in the IAID and DUID parts. The IAID wants just 8 hex digits and can't be left blank, so I've been using the first eight from the sky user name/password combination and then either omitting or repeating the digits in the DUID box.

I really appreciate everyone's help, but also don't want to waste people's time so I'll probably just go get a router that's proven to work on Sky, rather than trying to get this to work.

npr

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2016, 11:54:23 AM »

Have a look at post #218 here:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/technical-discussion/46464-skys-mer-why-does-not-work-other-routers-22.html

That give a link to a hex password generator

Also says the 61 option hex should start 0x3d:

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2016, 12:25:56 PM »

Do you have any other option for encapsulation type, because I'm successfully using DHCP?

aruba

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2016, 08:27:54 PM »

Thanks for the link. I ran the Sky credentials through the hex generator, and it appears Wireshark adds an equals sign at the beginning which I removed. I tried with and without the 0x3d beginning without success. I also tried various values in the IAID section, but again I'm not sure what it supposed to go in there and the 8324's manual is a tad vague.

The only type of encapsulation available for VDSL is IPoE or PPPoE.

I think overall, it's a no-can-do!  ::)

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2016, 09:03:30 PM »

Reading round it seems IPoE is the same as DHCP. The issue really is down to what goes into the DHCP client identifier and hostname and where are they?

My router sends the same data in both, which is the username and password concatenated by | like this:

xxxxxxxxxxxx@skydsl|yyyyyyyy

I've replaced my username and password with x and y ;)

aruba

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2016, 07:46:24 PM »

Yes, it's a shame the 8324 doesn't make it simpler - the requirement for two set of hex digits seems to be only used on ZyXel and some TP-Link routers.

If I an opportunity, I might fire up Wireshark again and see if there's any clues during the router's boot up cycle to what the first hex digits should be.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything