Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Moving mobile number  (Read 8388 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Moving mobile number
« on: January 07, 2016, 12:33:08 AM »

My daughter has just got a new phone on a 2 years contract with EE, she got it from 'Carphone warehouse' and came with a new sim and New  Number.
She told them she has a EE PAC code so she could keep her old mobile number, they said they could not use it and contact EE.
She phoned EE from her old phone and they said she could not transfer her old number (iphone 4) to her new phone (iphone 6) Which have different size sim cards !. :'(

Any idea how she can get her number moved ?, other people have got this done  >:(
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

loonylion

• Reg Member
Re: Moving mobile number
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 01:11:03 AM »

they're fobbing her off, I transferred my number when I changed network and the sim card size was different, the sim card size is irrelevant.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 09:32:04 AM »

I agree, sounds like they are fobbing her off.

Strange, because when I got my iPhone 5c (PAYG) it also needed the new tiny SIM, whatever it is called.   That was just a case of taking it together with the old SIM, from the Apple shop to the Vodafone shop down the road. 5 mins later, new SIM installed and working, free of charge and of course, same number etc. :)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 09:35:53 AM »

Perhaps it was a support staff member who was just making it up?

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 12:07:37 PM »

Re.. you say "changed network"  That's the problem she is Not changing Network  :'(  She  is on EE and wants to keep her EE number on her new phone.

If she had been on another network then the porting code would have worked (PAC).
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 04:11:01 PM »

I'd hazard a guess that the problem has nothing at all to do with SIM sizes, but is related to some administrative difficulty in moving a number between two different EE contracts.

A quick google brought up what appears to be the same issue.   The suggested solution is not a pretty one. :(

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/EE-Mobile-Network/Keep-existing-ee-number-for-a-new-ee-contract/td-p/253649

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 06:02:31 PM »

Just an update, I contacted 'Ofcom'     OCCtelecoms@ofcom.org.uk     and they said they had no rules for internal 'porting' but give me a reference number and a contact number for EE.
EE Executive Office can be contacted on: 0800 0790 134.

But all this came too late as my daughter started using her new number and told all her contacts. :(

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2016, 09:48:05 PM »

Tbh Mike I don't think you can transfer your number using the same company.The way round it is to get a PAYG sim from another operator and place in the new phone,transfer the number to that sim and then back to EE.Sounds crazy I know but when I wanted to do it that was the advice given to me. :-X

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2016, 10:48:39 PM »

You certainly can, I transferred my number from a steam age PAYG mobile to an 'HTC ONE' smart phone monthly contract  with no problem at all on Tesco mobile.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2016, 12:31:35 AM »

A bit of info here about the subject.

http://www.best-mobile-contracts.co.uk/buyers-guide/am-i-able-to-transfer-my-number-from-an-old-phone-on-the-same-network.html

With respect Uncle, that is not a website I'd heard of before your post.  It  appears to be a highly commercial, ad-laden website - not one that I, personally, would choose to revisit in a hurry.  And not one that I'd trust to be an authority on anything at all.  These comments are purely person of course, based on casual observation,  I may be mis-judging them, and/or others may think differently.  :)

But regardless of that website I think we have established that, for whatever reason, EE's administrative procedures excluded tickmike's request.   The question as to whether EE had any good excuse for doing so, or whether other mobile providers would have allowed it, is academic.  ;)

One thing I would say is, as a long-term (PAYG) customer of Vodafone, I have never encountered any administrative barriers that compare to Mike's experience with EE. :)

MrBelter

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2016, 12:51:48 PM »

My daughter has just got a new phone on a 2 years contract with EE, she got it from 'Carphone warehouse' and came with a new sim and New  Number.
She told them she has a EE PAC code so she could keep her old mobile number, they said they could not use it and contact EE.
She phoned EE from her old phone and they said she could not transfer her old number (iphone 4) to her new phone (iphone 6) Which have different size sim cards !. :'(

Any idea how she can get her number moved ?, other people have got this done  >:(

Im using the same number i had when SIM cards first came out and were the size of a credit card, i have transferred it to every size since as they have got smaller.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2016, 04:18:19 PM »

Maybe EE is an exception, but "normally" a mobile network supplier will have a process to swap your sim to new one of a different size.

I happen to have done this a few times recently and on the network I was using it was free and simple - go online, request a new sim and when it arrives (by post a couple of days later) go online again to activate it. Wait a short while and it's working.

Depending on your phone/technology there may be additional processes to move contact details across and they can be problematic with different size sim cards.