Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT Biz  (Read 7325 times)

EVIL-SCOTSMAN

BT Biz
« on: October 16, 2006, 08:32:48 AM »

Well, I am now on BT business, and all i can say is, they is an extreme difference between bt total and business, webpages no longer load in drips n drabs even with a good speed like i have, they load all in one go, and the net generally seems to be that tiny bit faster/smoother.

I had no doqwntime, I was still using total and got an email this morning saying biz has been activated, so I just put in the different usernam and password and off I went.

i would advise most if not all who are on bt total option 3 or 4 to change to business, as it seems to be alot better bandwidth wise and also unlimited downloads, my sync speed is still 8128 and i still get same average speed 850s of thereabouts, I will test during peak hours to see how badly it get hit, but I cant see any problems there as my area hasnt got alot of business's so I think after 6pm the majority of ppl using the 50-1 cotention ratio will be offline ???

But I am liking it alot better than I did with bt total for the first few hours.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: BT Biz
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 11:41:03 AM »

please do let us know and keep us informed how things are going.

With having no downtime (or if it happened in the wee small hours for a few mins) then I suspect that you are on one of the new "super VPs".

Traditionally if you went from 50:1 to 20:1 then it required a "lift and shift" at the exchange by an engineer, since the to 2 types were provisioned on different VPs.
With the "super VPs" it can be done with a flick of a switch remotely.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

EVIL-SCOTSMAN

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 08:51:13 PM »

Ow no, I am still on 50-1 so i think, but i mean no downtime from changing from bt total to bt biz, i was online and i got an email at 5.30 saying biz now activated, so i signed off my router and signed in with my biz name and it works, and i was using the net for a few hours before they sent the email, so basically i had 0 downtime except changing username and pw in router.

I have noticed that my snr is going down tho, its at 7-8 whereas before it was always at 10-11ish, and i had a couple of disconnects but not lose sync, but disconnects from router to pc, not from exchange to router, but i think it maybe them just messing with line since i have basically started 10 days of training again.

so far so good, except that bt total never got cancelled and i had a pain in the ass trying to get it cancelled without them wanting me to pay for the extra 11 months out of the 12 month contract, so it took me 2-3hours on the phone to finally get somebody who actually knew wtf they were doing and didnt offer to transfer me to someone who wud know how to help me but in reality they wouldnt, thus i went threw about 10 transfers, bt have gone to poo with there phone service, i have never ever came across a company that is as terible as them for answering phones and for transferring ppl, and for them to be the sole provider in the uk for telecom stuff if you know what i mean, it is diabolical, they only act like that as they know nobody can do anything about it.

but so far my speeds are ok, not much change from before, but i spose i have to wait ten days til things settle, i was put on a 7150kbps profile straightaway, so i am not sure if i restart the training procedure again or if i just moved to another service without retraining ? but odd little things are happening that makes me think dark forces are at work on my line :D

[slight language edit by admin]
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 10:48:28 PM by kitz »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 09:27:01 PM »

Downtime is when your router will have not been able to sync with the exchange.

Historically home and business connections have always been provided on separate VPs at the exchange. 
Therefore when you swap between products then an engineer has to go to the exchange, disconnect your phone and existing adsl connection.. and then wire it up to a different port on a different VP. This normally takes about 1/2 an hour.
(More info on VPs).

Your SNR Margin will likely have changed..  but your upstream SNR..  Business has a higher upstream sync speed (832 v 448). Therefore more speed = lower SNR Margin.

>> but so far my speeds are ok, not much change from before

You should immediately notice the higher upstream speed.  Downstream you may not notice unless your exchange is busy in which case biz should get priority over the home accounts and see better speeds.

>> i was put on a 7150kbps profile straightaway,

Im not 100% certain but if youre on a super VP, because it all shares the same backhaul, and if you havent been *moved*, then I see no reason why your existing profile isnt carried across. It doesnt (normally) restart when you move ISPs either.

>> odd little things are happening

Possibly adjusting to the different sync and SNR Margin of the higher upstream?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

EVIL-SCOTSMAN

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 09:58:41 AM »

Hmm, i never noticed any downtme whatsoever and i was always connected, then I got an email and i just swicthed username and pw.

my upstream is the same as bt total 448 and ds is 8128, which was the business package that I chose, the cheapest one might i add, sorry second cheapest one, i use bt single, and i cant find anything about the upload speeds, I know that for the dearest network ackage you get 800kbps, but i cant seem to find anything that says my package should get that, but i will go check it out now that you mention it :p

but nothing lost sync as far as i am aware, even my router logs says i never lost sync and never dropped til I actually rebooted the router with new pw and username. I take it that my old username and pw wouldnt work and allow me to connect to the inet ? i really wouldnt put anything past bt at this stage.

so I dunno, but i am using a weird username now and the router they gave me has all my info already built into it, and the username starts B something and is a mix of letters and numbers and isnt an email address like a normal isp woud have you use.

so basically, there was no downtime that I could see, unless my router just didnt detect it and i was asleep at the time ???

the router they gave me is pretty cool, has uber loads of options and i just havent seen anything like it compared to my other routers i have, whether it is a good router remains to be seen, but so far so good.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 10:13:28 AM by EVIL-SCOTSMAN »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 01:22:15 PM »

>> my upstream is the same as bt total 448 and ds is 8128

Sorry my mistake then, when you said biz and had mentioned contention ratios, I assumed you were moving over to one of the business accounts which are normally provisioned on what was traditionally known as 20:1 (or Office).  The other alternative is 50:1 (Home).

However with Max the product sets are:-

Code: [Select]
Product       Old Ratio   Downstream    Upstream

BT Max          50:1      > 8128 kbps   > 448 Kbps
BT Max Premium  20:1      > 8128 kbps   > 832 kbps

If you are still syncing at 8128/448 then your adsl is still being provisioned on exactly the same VP/backhaul/pipe as when you were on the home product.  - That also explains why you didnt have any downtime.

Therefore you wont see any difference in your connection as when you were on total.
The only real difference is the *Unlimited* Im afraid.
-----

EVIL-SCOTSMAN

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 04:52:57 PM »

What i do see now tho is, many errors after i have been error free for 1 week, and since midday yesterday i have started to get errors, so if they havent changed anything, why i am starting to error out after 1 week of bliss ? any ideas ?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2006, 07:11:16 PM »

Sorry I really dont know.

Because you are still on a 8128/448 line then nothing will have been changed on the exchange/backhaul part of your connection.
It will be a config change on the BT (ISP) part only.
Although the they have involved BTw in order to change your SSB authentication for login.  But this is a remote config change and doesnt involve any hardware changes, especially not at the exchange or backhaul.

Therefore I can only assume that any changes you are seeing are more of a co-incidence :/
The only other thing I can possibily think of is now that you are on "biz" then BT (the isp) route you over their part of the network differently..  but this should not have any effect on how your actual connection behaves when it come to sync and errors.   ???
-----

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2006, 09:26:14 PM »

Well I've finally got my BT business BB up & running. It was activated overnight and I'm getting 6000kbps atm whilst my Plusnet is down to 1250kbps. I assume the BT will get faster as the training period proceeds. I don't know whether they've upgraded our exchange a bit but I got my best ever speed of 6700kbps on Plusnet a couple of days ago, although they did have to run in new drop wires and put a double phone socket for the bus. & res. lines, but I wouldn't have thought it would makethat much difference.

Main benefit is no more fighting over computer with the boy any more. I can now park myself anywhere comfy with the lapdog now.

Current line stats;

Downstream Rate: 7616 kbps 
Upstream Rate: 448 kbps 
Channel: Interleaved
Current Noise Margin: 18.0 dB (Downstream), 24.0 dB (Upstream)
Current Attenuation: 16.3 dB (Downstream), 10.0 dB (Upstream)
Current Output Power: 19.7 dBm (Downstream), 11.9 dBm (Upstream)

My Plusnet service syncs at 8128 so hopefully will BT in a day or two. Any chance of me getting top whack on the BT line?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 10:24:02 PM by Astral »

EVIL-SCOTSMAN

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2006, 01:22:47 AM »

Good to see you joined the club astral ;)

As for your speeds, I get a minimum of 4-5mbps peak and offpeak I get 850ish down, saying that I also got  850 down with bt total off peak, but  atleast the customer support should be better :)

overall you should get decent speeds I would think, as for the few weeks I have been with biz, the peak speeds seem to be anything between 1-2mbps faster than bt total peak speeds, which where at times 2mbps minimum but it would generally hover around the 3-4mbps speed, but with biz its usually 4 minimum and 5-1/2mbps highest, roughly 500-600kbps peak.  It has never went as low as bt total peak speeds did.

I hope it goes good for ya ;)

p.s.

If you are only getting a few errors or none at all, after your training period, ask for interleaving to be removed from your line, as your sync speed and bras profile with go up thus you should get more throughput.

I have about 30 error seconds in 24 hours and interleaving is turned off, and I dont notice anything happening with my internet connection with those 30 missing seconds in 24 hours, I spose its a tradeoff, if you want error correction and a more stable line then have interleaving turned on is probably the way to go, if you want your fastest sync speed and a higher bras profile and dont care for the odd error that you probably wont notice anyway, then try getting interleaving turned off.

You will never sync at 8128 with interleaving turned on, 8096 is the highest you can sync at, but where your syncing at now is genereally in the area where you should be syncing with interleaving turned on.  If you want 8128 then you will have to get interleaving turned off.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 01:39:01 AM by EVIL-SCOTSMAN »

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2006, 01:45:29 PM »

Funnily enough, it depends on your router. I was syncing at 8128 with interleaving on. I also have heard that 7616 is the fastest sync speed you can get with Interleaving. Obviously rubbish, I'm the living proof!
Chris

EVIL-SCOTSMAN

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2006, 10:36:41 PM »

Thats what I heard also, that you would never sync at 8128 with interleaving on and 7600 something was the highest, but i was a constant 8096 but never ever got higher with interleaving turned on, once turned off it went to 8128 straight away.

But I think in the majority of  cases you will not sync at fullspeed, as no matter what i tried, it would never hit 8128 with interleaving on.

I think most ppl with interleaving will be snycing somewhere inbetween 7600-8000 assuming that they have a line that supports the fullspeed to start with...

All 4 of my routers would sync at the same speed with interleaving on and another would sync at 79**, so their is something weird happening as I couldnt hit 8128 with it on, with dlink, linksys,zoom, bt home hub :) and another linksys, the zoom was the p00 sync one.

are you still on interleaving or are you on auto at the exchange ? as if you are on auto, the interleaving supposodly switches itself on and off automatically when your line needs/doesnt need it, so maybe you were syncing 8128 at a time when IL was switched off but you thought it was on? thats what I think was happening, as I have heard it is impossible to sync at fullspeed with interleaving being active on the line, so I think you are on auto at the exchange and IL is turning itself on and off and you just happened to sync at 8128 when IL was off for a while....  thats my theory anyway.

got a screenie of router and telnet info? as I would like to see if it is possible to sync at fullspeed after being told that it is impossible, as I was always led to believe that it is impossible ...
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 11:04:32 PM by EVIL-SCOTSMAN »

anything