Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: G.INP Reactivation.  (Read 11716 times)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: G.INP Reactivation.
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2016, 06:17:12 PM »

The ISP cannot trigger a DLM reset, only the DLM software/firmware will automatically do this when a change of Profile is seen IE: DLM Speed to Standard and Standard to Speed or an OR Engineer visit.

maniac886

• Just arrived
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2016, 06:36:36 PM »

Just as a matter of interest if GIN.P doesn't get activated automatically is there anyway requesting for it be be activated remotely?

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
    • Newton Poppleford Weather
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2016, 06:44:56 PM »

The ISP cannot trigger a DLM reset, only the DLM software/firmware will automatically do this when a change of Profile is seen IE: DLM Speed to Standard and Standard to Speed or an OR Engineer visit.

I'm only going on what an Openreach engineer said.

gazaai

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2016, 07:05:52 PM »

gazaai, are you on Plusnet?
I was previously on BT then just switched to plusnet two days ago, hopefully my 76mb will be activated soon. You can see my previous banding on myDSLWebStats under my username: GaZaai

Edit:
Reading through the posts you seem confused to what I mean.
While I was on the 76mb package with BT I got banded at 66999 on the downstream, I was going to change ISP Provider anyway after my contract was up so I decided I would try going to plusnets 38mb package then upgrade to 76mb again a few days later to see if it removes the 66999 banding, just an experiment.  :)

I will find out by tomorrow what happens...
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 07:10:40 PM by gazaai »
Plusnet: 80 / 20
MDWS Username: GaZaai

Modem: Billion 8800NL (Bridge Mode)
Router + AP: NETGEAR R7800 (OpenWRT/LEDE)
APs: 2x Linksys Linksys EA6700

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2016, 07:12:10 PM »

Not entirely true. I was banded on Plusnet for about a year. Switched to same product on Sky and the DLM reset which happened during the migration also removed my banding.

This is what I perceive to happen, and can't find any material that says otherwise. However, some members on here say otherwise from their own experiences ?? I personally don't think a DLM reset had happened for them, in their case ??

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2016, 07:13:30 PM »

As NS states ........... the ISP's can NOT perform a reset ...... they can request one, but not perform the action themselves.

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
    • Newton Poppleford Weather
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2016, 07:31:03 PM »

Interesting, thanks for confirming Black Sheep. Gazaai, I'd say your banding will be removed then, I can't understand how the DLM would remember the banding from before you changed product, just imagine that.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2016, 07:38:29 PM »

Just as a matter of interest if G.INP doesn't get activated automatically is there anyway requesting for it be be activated remotely?

I can't see any situation where G.INP would not be activated again on your line since the ISP transfer other than the new ISP modem or it's firmware is not compatible with G.INP on Huawei cabinets

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2016, 07:40:52 PM »

I personally don't think a DLM reset had happened for them, in their case ??

If it wasn't a DLM reset on my line, what was it that caused a resync, removed G.Inp, introduced Interleaving etc?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 07:44:13 PM by licquorice »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2016, 07:47:31 PM »

I don't know ..... that's the very same question I'm posing ?

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2016, 07:56:11 PM »

Are there any logs available to Openreach to see the history of any DLM activity on a line?

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2016, 08:04:24 PM »

There is obviously a difference of opinion here between our own Black Sheep and what I and perhaps others have been told by their OR engineers who visited and there is nothing we can do here to resolve that. The guy who visited me was adamant that one ISP (in his case SKY) had done DLM resets in the past where perhaps it was inappropriate and caused him problems because the reset masked the issue and left him with no errors, he was also adamant that other ISPs could do resets but some may either deny this or be reluctant to either do it or admit it.

Now this is a matter for the OR guys to sort internally and there is nothing we can do or say to change that. I'm sure that BS and the others are quite sure in their beliefs and I am quite prepared to believe that ISPs cannot actually DO the reset but may be able to REQUEST it, no one here knows and no one here can confirm or deny what the OR guys believe is happening because we are not in the front line.

It may be that somewhere down the line something will come out which clears this up but right now all of us users can only assert what we are told by various OR employees who may or may not have got it right.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2016, 08:05:28 PM »

Good question ............ engineers can definitely see DLM interventions on ADSL (Whoosh) from the previous 28 days, but I can't say I've ever seen the relevant 'tab' on VDSL (Whoosh) ?? I shall report back.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2016, 08:08:59 PM »

There is obviously a difference of opinion here between our own Black Sheep and what I and perhaps others have been told by their OR engineers who visited and there is nothing we can do here to resolve that. The guy who visited me was adamant that one ISP (in his case SKY) had done DLM resets in the past where perhaps it was inappropriate and caused him problems because the reset masked the issue and left him with no errors, he was also adamant that other ISPs could do resets but some may either deny this or be reluctant to either do it or admit it.

Now this is a matter for the OR guys to sort internally and there is nothing we can do or say to change that. I'm sure that BS and the others are quite sure in their beliefs and I am quite prepared to believe that ISPs cannot actually DO the reset but may be able to REQUEST it, no one here knows and no one here can confirm or deny what the OR guys believe is happening because we are not in the front line.

It may be that somewhere down the line something will come out which clears this up but right now all of us users can only assert what we are told by various OR employees who may or may not have got it right.

Stuart

I genuinely believe the engineers who are stating a DLM reset can be performed by ISP's, are talking about ADSL products. They are either ill-informed, newly trained, unawares or trying t appease an EU ??  :)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2016, 08:17:32 PM »

Are there any logs available to Openreach to see the history of any DLM activity on a line?

Well I never, from a bit of 'buggering about' on the navigation side of things, it is indeed possible to see some kind of DLM time-stamp ................ however, it is very, very limited compared to what we can see on ADSL DLM time-stamps ?? I may need to continue down the 'buggering about' route ??  ;)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4