Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Major Difference In Speed Between Two Properties On Our Lane  (Read 9756 times)

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
    • Newton Poppleford Weather

Hi guys,

Just been looking at this link: https://windows.mouselike.org/be/index.asp?DoAction=BrasChecker

I have checked both ours and next door neighbours BRAS IP Profile and the differences are very interesting. Our Downstream BRAS IP Profile is just over 41 Mbps, whereas next doors is just over 20 Mbps! This means that our download speed is nearly double next doors (just 100 meters up the road connected to the same cabinet). Has anyone else on here seen such a difference? Would you think they have a significant line fault? I'm tempted to go round to try and fix it but my parents said "They'll be fine!" LOL!

« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 08:18:35 PM by William Grimsley »

ejs

• Kitizen
Re: Major Difference In Speed Between Two Properties On Our Lane
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 02:58:25 PM »

I imagine it could be due to almost anything, not necessarily a line fault. They might have a load of extension wiring connected, particularly if it was self-install FTTC, or they might have some local source of REIN in their property.

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 03:02:16 PM »

Yeah, I'd love to try and improve their connection, it shouldn't be that slow, to say they have BT Infinity (not BT Faster Broadband). I suppose I could go and check and see if there's any underlying issues with their wiring setup e.g. extension wiring, Hub in the wrong socket etc.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 03:05:04 PM »

I suggest that your parents' advice is good. If the neighbours are happy with their connection, why bother them?
  Eric

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 03:17:31 PM »

Well, they run a business, so surely they'd want the fastest speed their connection can handle? There's always point in trying. Plus, my parents think differently now anyway. ;)

Also, I'd be able to improve their connection for no cost or certainly much less than ISP's charge. ;)

Why be negative anyway? :(
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 03:21:48 PM by William Grimsley »

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 03:40:54 PM »

And what if something goes wrong, you make it worse, or you break it somehow?

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 03:52:43 PM »

William, I would have thought you had learnt your lesson by now.

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2016, 04:46:37 PM »

How can I make it worse when I've already done several bits of work for people on this kind of thing? How is simply moving the Hub from one socket to another socket, seeing if there's extension wiring by removing the faceplate and seeing if there's any REIN going to actually "break" their connection? If there was a risk of making it worse, then I wouldn't attempt the job. Anyway, thread closed.

I love the way some people try to patronise others and breaking forum etiquette at the same time.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 04:54:11 PM by William Grimsley »

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2016, 05:27:10 PM »

You could make it worse like you made your own connection worse

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2016, 06:23:39 PM »

Moving the hub from one socket to another indicates the presence of unfiltered extension wiring, which in itself tends to be a problem for FTTC. It won't necessarily be solved by plugging the hub into a different socket because the extension wiring will still be connected to the line. Filtering off all the extension wiring with a filtered faceplate is a possibility, if they have a modern NTE5 type master socket, and if the extension wiring is connected to the master socket. But they might not have a modern master socket, and even if they do, there might still be extension wiring connected to the line at some junction box elsewhere.

How could removing the faceplate break their connection? Well, you could remove the faceplate, and old brittle poorly secured bits of wire could detach from the faceplate or even break. Yes, sure, you could probably reconnect everything quite easily, assuming the remaining bits of wire are long enough. There's always an element of risk that something will go wrong or you'll make something worse somehow.

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2016, 07:08:38 PM »

You can't assume that I will make the connection worse, you are wrong. I did not make my connection worse?!

Again, most of you have not thought correctly. I would only move the Hub to a different socket if it was connected via an extension socket not the master socket, why would I move it from the master socket? I thought everyone on here was knowledgeable. Anyway, I'm fed up of your false accusations!

Plus, if I removed the face plate I'd do it carefully, there's a lot of people on here that seem to think I'd just go round and break someones connection, how rediculous!

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2016, 07:47:56 PM »

100m is not insignificant.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2016, 07:58:38 PM »

As far as I can see, there are 3 possible outcomes - you make it worse, you make it better or there is no change. All the evidence I've seen of your impact on your own connection indicates you'll be best off making no change.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2016, 07:59:46 PM »

I thought that if extension sockets are daisy-chained, then the best place for the modem would be at the end of the chain. If they are star-wired, which socket would make very little difference, they would all be equally bad.

I wasn't saying you definitely would make it worse, I was challenging your idea that nothing could possibly go wrong and nothing you might do could possibly make it worse.

Out of interest, what would you do if you found there were a few LJU type sockets, star-wired to the line at some junction box containing a big mess of wires?

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2016, 08:05:30 PM »

Exactly, hence why I was surprised to see the speed was so different!

I know there's a possibility of possibly making it worse, I haven't even organised or even thought about going round yet!

If I found that, I would simply say that an Openreach engineer is required. If moving the Hub to the master socket didn't change anything, I would simply say that you'd need an Openreach engineer visit, I would not fiddle with any of the wiring as I may break the wiring, I would only remove the face plate off (but still leave the wiring connected) to connect the Hub into the test socket. Also, I'd conduct a quiet line test in the test socket to check for any noise, at that point I would also recommend an Openreach engineer visit.

Dray, I am completely disgusted with that response. I didn't make that impact on my connection for the fun of it, in fact what I did didn't impact the efficiency of the connection and I was only testing to see what DLM would do.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

anything