Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Would going from "76Mbs" to "52Mb" back to "76Mbs" reset your line?  (Read 9868 times)

Geekofbroadband

• Reg Member

Would it have the same effect as a DLM reset? ;D

licquorice

• Reg Member
Re: Would going from "76Mbs" to "52Mb" back to "76Mbs" reset your line?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 08:35:46 AM »

In my experience it would perform a DLM reset but not remove any banding applied.

N0STIE

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 06:18:36 AM »

From my experience, indeed it does perform DLM reset.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 09:29:36 AM »

In my experience it would perform a DLM reset but not remove any banding applied.

I'm confused here, licq ?? I my experience, whenever I perform a DLM Recalculation (Reset) after repairing a circuit, whatever banding was applied is always automatically removed.
The only time a DLM reset won't happen, even though it has been requested, is when the circuit in question is already on the open profile ...... ie: 128kbps-40Mbps, 128kbps-80Mbps .......... unless I'm missing something here ??

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 09:30:11 AM »

Well all I can say is there was a DLM reset when my Infinity1 cap was changed but I was still banded afterwards (and still am). There was a thread some time ago positing that there are 2 levels of DLM reset.

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
    • Newton Poppleford Weather
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 10:55:07 AM »

Yeah, if you don't have a banded line, then changing products will mean a DLM reset, however if you do, then everything but the banding is changed in a DLM reset. All I did was talk to BT live chat and they sent me a broadband boost engineer (the guy who picked up the job was a guy called Glenn who we know very well) and did a DLM reset from his van, this removed G.INP but a few weeks later it came back and haven't had a better connection since! :D

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 11:28:15 AM »

Well all I can say is there was a DLM reset when my Infinity1 cap was changed but I was still banded afterwards (and still am). There was a thread some time ago positing that there are 2 levels of DLM reset.

Really ??? I've never heard or had discussion with anyone, (including Btw and our DCoE) about 2 levels of reset ?? There are certainly levels of manual intervention that can be applied, but this is a new one on me ?? Que sera ….. we live and we learn.

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2016, 11:35:32 AM »

Perhaps as DLM doesn't appear to want to remove banding automatically, it doesn't like removing it when applied manually!!  :) :)

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2016, 11:41:08 AM »

Was this aimed at me? All along I did say I was "testing" how DLM worked, but after a while it should of reset itself but didn't hence the Openreach engineer visit was required.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2016, 12:39:18 PM »

Perhaps as DLM doesn't appear to want to remove banding automatically, it doesn't like removing it when applied manually!!  :) :)

Ha ha ......... tis' a stubborn bar-steward for sure !!!  ;) ;D

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2016, 01:15:32 PM »

Was this aimed at me? All along I did say I was "testing" how DLM worked, but after a while it should of reset itself but didn't hence the Openreach engineer visit was required.

Err, no. Why would it be aimed at you? It was a slightly tongue in cheek (with a hint of the reality) reply to BS

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2016, 01:17:25 PM »

it doesn't like removing it when applied manually!!  :) :)

Ahh, ok. No worries, just thought this was aimed at me, but it's true isn't it? ;)

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2016, 11:58:44 PM »

Really ??? I've never heard or had discussion with anyone, (including Btw and our DCoE) about 2 levels of reset ??

It was my speculation, amidst Kitz's discovery that we saw some resets remove FEC+interleaving, while some put it in place deliberately, at least for 2 days.

Alongside this, there seemed to be something "above" DLM that controlled the permissions that "ordinary" DLM was allowed to work within - particularly whether various forms of retransmission were permitted on a line, in response to the client modem capability.

The fact that banding does not appear to be removed in a DLM reset (or at least some forms of reset) continues this speculation. After all, surely, there must be a form of reset that *can* remove banding?

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2016, 12:15:12 AM »

After all, surely, there must be a form of reset that *can* remove banding?

Yes, the NGA reset removes banding which was performed on my line earlier in the year.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2016, 04:48:53 PM »

It was my speculation, amidst Kitz's discovery that we saw some resets remove FEC+interleaving, while some put it in place deliberately, at least for 2 days.

Alongside this, there seemed to be something "above" DLM that controlled the permissions that "ordinary" DLM was allowed to work within - particularly whether various forms of retransmission were permitted on a line, in response to the client modem capability.

The fact that banding does not appear to be removed in a DLM reset (or at least some forms of reset) continues this speculation. After all, surely, there must be a form of reset that *can* remove banding?

Hmmmm ?? There is more literature to be read on DLM than there are stars in the sky  ::) ::).

From what I can glean though, whether it's a 'Baseline reset' or a 'DLM reset' ...... the variable memory is removed, and all DLM counters and history will be reset, basically putting the circuit back to 'Open profile' on whatever policy is in use (40M/80M DS ... 2M/10M/20M US).

I can't find anything that mentions holding on to the banded profiles via a DM reset (or recalculation - both the same) ??.  Strange.   
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

anything