Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: BTO G.fast cabinet 'pod'  (Read 14253 times)

RayW

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
Re: BTO G.fast cabinet 'pod'
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 03:01:17 PM »

Seems ideal as if the G.Fast cabinet was next to the FTTC cabinet it could knock anywhere between 10-50m off the range.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 03:54:20 PM »

My fttc cabs right next to the PCP anyway, but either way I  doubt it will be much use to me at about 450 meters, hopefully if/when they go to the next stage out it will be on my door step.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

mlmclaren

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 04:33:40 PM »

The article certainly doesn't make it sound promising....

Meanwhile Virgin's about go the extra mile for there network...

BT needs to bring the fibres closer to the premises or not bother... putting another DSLAM next to the other one would just mean a boost for those within a range but would extend the speed and coverage which is what is required and then theres the still existent issues of crosstalk which seem to be saying that the new technology would be rendered useless or extremely limited by the lack of vectoring and using the super lossy copper/ally pairs.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 04:52:26 PM »

I think you need to remember that this is just the first stage of the rollout.

Pods will be deployed deeper into the network over time - but do remember that 90% of Openreach customers are within 1km of their PCP (I can never find the graph when I want it but many are a lot closer so will be in range of g.fast from the cabinet)

As for vectoring - it's built into the g.fast standard..?

edit: not the graph I was thinking of but TBB gives the distance from the PCP vs number/% of premises at http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/7416-have-accountants-put-paid-to-g-fast-from-distribution-points.html
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 06:03:32 PM by gt94sss2 »

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 05:34:10 PM »

As far as G.Fast is concerned I figured it would have a range of 450-500m before FTTC is faster.

Will they make it so that you have to be able to recive the package speed or will it be up to again?

Im just waiting to see the graphs of the increased power spec of G.Fast before I get my hopes up to high considering I am 300m from the PCP.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 05:48:45 PM »

It's got to be advertised as 'upto' unless the ASA change the advertising rules.

As I understand it, the average loop is 350metres and Openreach are looking for g.fast to be initially capable of 300MB at this distance - which they have already achieved.

If I recall, the entry level g.fast product is likely to be 160MB.

Sadly, I am closer to 500m from by PCP so it's likely I will be waiting for fibre deeper into the network/other technological improvements.. Though that also gives time for my 'demand' for such speeds to increase as well..

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2016, 06:43:35 PM »

Do we have any idea on how far the 160 will reach?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2016, 09:02:24 PM »

Probably the upper limit already quoted which I think was 350m?

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2016, 09:22:25 PM »

edit: not the graph I was thinking of but TBB gives the distance from the PCP vs number/% of premises at http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/7416-have-accountants-put-paid-to-g-fast-from-distribution-points.html

Will this do? This comes from a Sagentia report on the access network, and shows the distribution of D-side lengths; I added the actual percentage numbers after spending time with a ruler.

I've added the graph that shows the distribution of exchange line length too (E+D-sides)

Both graphs were created from source data of attenuation values (electrical length) rather than actual distances. Sagentia converted them back to distances using properties for 0.5mm copper.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2016, 09:25:22 PM »

The article certainly doesn't make it sound promising....

Certainly not at first, it doesn't.

On the other hand, we know that BT had to have a decent solution for co-location with the PCP, otherwise G.Fast products wouldn't get off the ground at all.

Meanwhile Virgin's about go the extra mile for there network...

Well, for the 20% of their network that is new, yes.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2016, 09:30:41 PM »

Pods will be deployed deeper into the network over time

Or will it be an update of the "all in one" cabinet that can house a G.Fast node instead of a VDSL2 DSLAM? Or perhaps both?

Getting power to it remains the perennial question. Which brings up one other point...

The design of the pod makes me wonder about how they will get power to it too. A 240V feed from the FTTC cab? Or a ~ 50V feed over copper pairs from a power pillar, as they've done in at least some of the trials.

I'm not particularly sure that Openreach will enjoy the prospect of a 240V line through the PCP....

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2016, 09:36:07 PM »

A 240V feed from the FTTC cab? Or a ~ 50V feed over copper pairs from a power pillar, as they've done in at least some of the trials.

My current feeling is that the latter will be the method deployed.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2016, 10:31:16 PM »

Or will it be an update of the "all in one" cabinet that can house a G.Fast node instead of a VDSL2 DSLAM? Or perhaps both?

Getting power to it remains the perennial question. Which brings up one other point...

The design of the pod makes me wonder about how they will get power to it too. A 240V feed from the FTTC cab? Or a ~ 50V feed over copper pairs from a power pillar, as they've done in at least some of the trials.

I'm not particularly sure that Openreach will enjoy the prospect of a 240V line through the PCP....

I'm with B*Cat on forward power being supplied via copper pairs using 'Step-down - Step-up' transformers, being the preferred method on remote G.Fast pods.

Of course on the current 'Cab pods' they are bolted to the existing DSLAM which already houses 240v, and all that will be used is a multi-cable which carries live, neutral, earth and 2 fibres within it.  :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2016, 10:45:49 PM »

Of course on the current 'Cab pods' they are bolted to the existing DSLAM which already houses 240v, and all that will be used is a multi-cable which carries live, neutral, earth and 2 fibres within it.  :)

Hmm . . . ??? 

All the examples that I have seen (in today's photographs) are of "G.Fast pods" bolted onto the side of the PCP and not the "fibre twin" cabinet.  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4