Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: How to increase your download speed  (Read 4890 times)

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
How to increase your download speed
« on: April 03, 2008, 08:52:30 PM »

Upgrade to Max Premium!

I've just upgraded to Plusnet's Max Premium for the 832k upload speed and have found that results of speed test show significant download speed increases.

Previous best around 6500 but more usually around 6200.

On RIN:  http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results/id/120724073298633529966.html

On normal Plusnet connection: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results/id/12072507158086661289.html

Previous best on TBB: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results/id/1200089053321845763.html But usually below 6000.

Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Broadband1

• Reg Member
Re: How to increase your download speed
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 09:21:40 PM »

Meh I seen faster, I get almost 17Megs on Virgin Media upto 20Meg Cable Fibre

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 09:39:36 PM »

I'm pretty sure I couldn't get a speed anything like that on cable.

Broadband1

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 09:44:23 PM »

Maybe the speed is more toward 13Meg. But I have seen pretty fast on Be's upto 24Meg.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 09:51:10 PM »

No, I'm absolutely positive I couldn't get anything like that on cable here. The fact that there's no cable in the village is a bit of a problem to start with... ;)

(Nor anything else come to that http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/SDHRSTP)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 09:54:15 PM by jelv »

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 11:26:04 PM »

UKO line synchronised at 19110/764kbps :

Edit - intended to demonstrate that sync rate most definitely does NOT equal throughput speed when an interleaving depth of 64 is applied. ie when a line is commonly called "interleaved". I suspect that cable doesn't have quite the same hit.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 11:29:33 PM by rizla »

Broadband1

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 10:48:45 AM »

I just wish the UK could catch up to Say Sweden I heard from a BBC site that sweden are about to soon going to be testing connections Like upto 80 and 100 Meg i think. But at the moment BT are soon starting that 21st Century Network thingy now not many ISP's themselves even have much info about that. So maybe England may have to wait another 10years to be where Sweden or Germany for that matter are with Internet and Connectivity, But to be fair the Swedish have given us good stuff like, Volvo, Saab, Skiing :P and im hoping Ice Cream  :D

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 11:05:14 AM »

Unlike Sweden our population is pushing 60+ million people, is falling apart at the seams and seems to be totally incapable of building any new infrastructure whatsoever.

New roads and bypasses which are desperately wanted are halted by a selfish handful of environmentalists, a new gas pipeline from Wales has ground to halt in Gloucestershire, the severn tidal barrage [could produce 5% of UKs power) is opposed by environmentalists etc, and in Wiltshire a farmer wasnt allowed to dig out a ditch to save his listed grade 2 farmhouse from future flooding because the ditch is home to a rare type of newt  :wall:

[/rant]

Basically I doubt that in ten years time we will be any better off given the lunacy of the government and the nation as a whole. I expect 100Mbps fibre to your doorstep will be stopped by some nut case wanting to save a patch of moss or something.

Broadband1

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 11:14:25 AM »

I know who we could get to sort out those Environmentalists *Drum roll* We just need MR T and his Tank and a handful of snickers and we will have those pesky nature fans all gone by tea time :)

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2008, 11:17:22 AM »

Sweden isn't the panacea you think it is.

Eg In some parts of Stockholm you can "only" get 8Mbps as your maximum service and unless things have changed it was virtually impossible to get either a static IP address or a block of IP addresses unless you paid €€€€€€€€

Swings and roundabouts really - I find that usenet is the only application which will max out this line 24/7. Most websites are I/O bound as they're shared boxes anyway so me having 3MBytes/sec (for example) instead of my current 2MBytes/sec would make little difference as the bottleneck is frequently at the other end.

I don't think that currently having speeds much above 10Mbps is actually noticeable to the average user. I'm not even sure its useful at this point in time but most people will follow the big numbers even if some big numbers don't add up *cough*Virgin*cough* :D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 07:19:22 PM »

>> Previous best around 6500 but more usually around 6200.

Just a thought jelv...   what was youre previous "Plusnet datarate".  Ive had the "discussion" with them many a time that I get much better speeds at 8000 rather than the 7000 that I sometimes get landed with.

But then again Im possibly talking rubbish cause it wouldnt affect your RIN speed anyhow..  I think what Im trying to say is keep an eye out for the 8000... because for me on Max Premium it does make all the difference... and I can push it just that little bit further than I could even when on RIN.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2008, 12:30:21 AM »

My data rate has always been on 8000 since I was maxed. When I upgraded to Max Premium it dropped to 7000, James poked it back to 8000 for me.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2008, 12:40:29 AM »

>> James poked it back to 8000 for me.

Excellent :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything