Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: huge crc/es spikes since thunderstorm  (Read 4942 times)

j0hn

• Kitizen
huge crc/es spikes since thunderstorm
« on: June 09, 2016, 06:20:57 PM »

Evening folks, was hoping somebody knowledgeable could give me some advice and take a quick look at my graphs on mydslstats. I only started recording my stats a couple weeks ago, but I've always had a pretty stable line. I usually average 1 es an hour, between 20-30 a day. I've never seen any big es/crc spikes over the past 3 months or so.

on Tuesday about 12pm we had a pretty bad thunderstorm, a roof about 500m away took a direct hit. it caused a pretty big crc/es spike, but that's expected. since then though my es/crc rate has been considerably worse, with a further 2 spikes yesterday and today.

I would be very grateful if anyone could spare a few minutes to have a look for me, and perhaps have a look at my hlog too. username on mydslstats is minted. unrelated to that I noticed my snrm went up quite a bit a couple weeks ago, from 6.* to its current 8.3. really wish I'd started uploading my stats a while ago, as I've been using an unlocked hg612 for months, occasionally trying my Asus DSL-AC68U. It's lack of es/ses stats irks me though, making me revert to the hg612.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: huge crc/es spikes since thunderstorm
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 05:17:07 PM »

I've had your circuit selected for monitoring via MDWS and, at a first glance, it seems to be stable & performing well.

On closer inspection, specifically the FEC plot, we can see that the error detection and correction mechanism is working very, very, hard for the DS direction.

To be honest, I am not too sure what to make of your circuit . . . especially as you have mentioned a lightning "near miss".  :-\

If that was my circuit, there is one thing that I would be tempted to try -- at the end of the day, when the connection is no longer required, power down the modem (or modem/router) and disconnect it from the circuit. Leave it like that until Internet access is required the next day. Sometimes just allowing the the DSLAM's line card port, via which your circuit is connected, sufficient "time to relax" would clear odd behaviour of the circuit.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 06:24:17 PM »

That is like what my FEC's used to look when using ethernet power-line adapters

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 07:47:07 AM »

I had similar symptoms before - my modem was faulty. I swapped it with a spare and the problem was gone.

Maybe worth checking out if you have a spare modem?
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 04:46:08 PM »

If that was my circuit, there is one thing that I would be tempted to try -- at the end of the day, when the connection is no longer required, power down the modem (or modem/router) and disconnect it from the circuit. Leave it like that until Internet access is required the next day. Sometimes just allowing the the DSLAM's line card port, via which your circuit is connected, sufficient "time to relax" would clear odd behaviour of the circuit.
well I gave that a try, had my modem off for 14 hours between midnight and 2pm but the FEC count seems about the same. Couldn't even ask to be put on another port as the cabinet is full.
I had similar symptoms before - my modem was faulty. I swapped it with a spare and the problem was gone.

Maybe worth checking out if you have a spare modem?
I'll see if I can borrow a modem from a friend and check if it makes any difference
That is like what my FEC's used to look when using ethernet power-line adapters
I don't have any power-line adaptors. I also tried turning off the 101 electrical appliances i have plugged in right next to the master socket (tv/youview/sky/consoles/pc/router) but that didn't make any difference either.

Could a bad connection into the back of the master socket play a part? or the extension wiring crammed into the backbox?
I fitted my own nte5/mk3 faceplate, and it's probably not a perfect connection. I've since bought a decent idc punch tool as the cheap plastic 1 I was using is now in the bin where it belongs.
For a brand new property the wiring is appauling. When activating my phone line after moving in the OpenReach engineer was very annoyed that he had to pull a cable in from the street as there wasn't any cable feeding into the house from the box outside.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 05:22:33 PM »

For clarification purposes, on new-build properties (of the multiple kind usually ...... Persimmon, Baratt etc ....), then the internal wiring is provided by the builders, as is the duct from the pavement to the premises.
The outside cabling is usually performed by our contractors.

As an aside, you say there was a nearby electrical strike ?? You may unwittingly have been the victim of this strike depending on how it occurred ?? Your master-socket may have seen the capacitor been struck ?? Is there any audible noise on your landline when in use, or does the landline 'ring trip' when ringing your phone ??

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 06:26:58 PM »

As an aside, you say there was a nearby electrical strike ?? You may unwittingly have been the victim of this strike depending on how it occurred ?? Your master-socket may have seen the capacitor been struck ?? Is there any audible noise on your landline when in use, or does the landline 'ring trip' when ringing your phone ??

If The Cattery had been in such close proximity to a lightning strike I would, as a matter of course, replace both the NTE5/A and the SSFP. I would also be questioning the "fit for purpose" condition of the modem's analogue front-end.  :-\

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2016, 06:43:12 PM »

^^^^^ he knows.  :yay: :thumbs:

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
    • Newton Poppleford Weather
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2016, 11:19:38 PM »

Always gets me how most people on here are so incredibly knowledgeable! ;D

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2016, 12:38:50 AM »

looking back 60 days into the FEC history but only see 7 days worth of stats, I don't see anything happening suddenly in fact it looks kind of constant maybe with a bit more noise in early june

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2016, 10:49:52 AM »

looking back 60 days into the FEC history but only see 7 days worth of stats, I don't see anything happening suddenly in fact it looks kind of constant maybe with a bit more noise in early june
that FEC spike on 7th June was the lightning strike.
I only just donated to mydslstats so previous history has already been deleted.
If The Cattery had been in such close proximity to a lightning strike I would, as a matter of course, replace both the NTE5/A and the SSFP. I would also be questioning the "fit for purpose" condition of the modem's analogue front-end.  :-\
when is the newer nte5c & mk4 SSFP likely to be available. if I'm going to replace both I'd rather buy the latest model.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2016, 04:11:48 PM »

[W]hen is the newer nte5c & mk4 SSFP likely to be available. if I'm going to replace both I'd rather buy the latest model.

As I understand it, they are currently in stock at BT's Magna Park depot and will be issued once the existing local stock holdings of the current style have been depleted.

To the best of my knowledge, the manufacturers have not yet released any stock to independent traders . . . so nothing on eBay or Amazon, etc.

I'm sure Black Sheep will let us know once he has installed one.  :)

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2016, 04:26:57 PM »

when is the newer nte5c & mk4 SSFP likely to be available. if I'm going to replace both I'd rather buy the latest model.

You may want to see my quote from the OTA2 at http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,16699.msg325146.html#msg325146

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2016, 10:21:13 PM »

still a high volume but pattern of FECs changed quite a bit since resync. I'll hold off and get the newer nte5+ssfp soon as something pops up on amazon, cant imagine it'll be too long before some pop up

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2016, 10:37:51 PM »

Just musing . . . If there was a lead, RJ11 plug one end & a pair of crocodile clips at the other end, available and the SSFP & NTE5/A somehow just "fell out" of the backing box, disconnecting the latter from the incoming service feed cable, then I would be tempted to connect the modem directly to the incoming pair, using the above mentioned lead (purely as a temporary test), before putting it all back together again.  ;)

Could you borrow a modem, just for a quick check, to rule out any possible HV damage to the analogue front-end of your current modem? 

Pages: [1] 2