Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: windows 10 telemetry a resource hog on weak machines  (Read 3643 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
windows 10 telemetry a resource hog on weak machines
« on: June 05, 2016, 11:07:36 PM »

So I was at my parents over the weekend and doing some hdd diagnostics on my dad's pc, but then he reminded me whilst I was there he got sick of the computer been so slow, (he thought internet was to blame).

I observed whilst he e.g. was waiting for ebay and showing me the stuttery scrolling the hdd activity light was going crazy.

So I loaded task manager, cpu pegged at 100%, hdd not at 100% but busy.

Went to the details tab and ordered by cpu usage, at the top busy was microsoft compatibility telemetry service.  We watched it and it went on for 20 minutes until I killed it.

I did the usual, set telemetry to basic, and disabled the privacy and background app stuff in the normal settings.
Disabled a few telemtry services on top of this.
Then went into task scheduler and disabled all the telemetry stuff in that.

Obviously I cannot be 100% with win10 they will never be turned back on (might well be with a threshold update), but now after he boots up and goes in his browser he is much happier, its noticably quicker.

Also installed classic shell start menu and he is now super happy.  As he is one of the victims who fell to the silent automated update overnight routine.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 11:09:40 PM by Chrysalis »

z1ts

• Reg Member
Re: windows 10 telemetry a resource hog on weak machines
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 11:55:15 AM »

Chrysalis

Thanks for the insight!  My mother-in-law's PC which I recently did a clean install of W7 (Pro) from XP then followed the upgrade path to W10, has been running rather slower than expected and I've noticed high CPU & HDD usage in the task manager.

Would you mind elaborating on the 'usual' settings you have tweaked?  And the 'background app stuff in the normal settings'?

I think it would be good to try this on her PC to try & get it to a less noticable speed!  (If you notice it then it's too slow in my opinion!)

Thanks in advance

z1ts

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: windows 10 telemetry a resource hog on weak machines
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 12:48:30 PM »

off hand cannot remember 100% where they all are as I dont use win10 day to day, It took me a moment whilst there.

from the start menu open pc settings

goto updates, then goto privacy.
In there set telemetry to basic and disable everything else except smart screen.
then in the bottom right area of pc settings window you can goto background apps setting, in that screen disable everything.

There is more can do but I just did those things, but you can also disable location tracking and automated wifi connecting (forgot whilst there).
My belief is tho the bigger impact came from disabling services and scheduled tasks, as setting to basic wont stop the tasks running, it just reduces what is sent to microsoft.

Also in addition I did disable superfetch and windows search services as I know from experience (on all versions of windows) they are a bad choice in machines with low ram and slow storage.

The machine is quite low spec, 2.5inch sata hdd, single core cpu and 3 gig of ram.  The single core cpu was bad in particular as normally windows can put background tasks on a separate core to foreground tasks, but in this case the single core has to handle everything.

apps like shutup10 will do similar but is an easier way to make to make the changes.