Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: FTTC Line Bonding?  (Read 19847 times)

d2d4j

• Kitizen
Re: FTTC Line Bonding?
« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2016, 07:58:34 PM »

Hi rizla

I have not noticed any difference to upload and our upstream can be maxed a few times a day

I did notice this morning though, our upstream interleave went from 0 to 1 then back to zero (I understand 0 and 1 mean no interleave applied) but I am wondering if the small upload reserve is for dlam communication to hg612 perhaps

It's just a thought and is most likely wrong

Many thanks

John

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2016, 08:52:31 PM »

What happens to your latency when you turn QoS off and max the upstream?

I wonder if you have seen the observation, a little earlier above, that there are no QoS rules defined?

As distributed, the HG612 has QoS turned on but with null rule(s).
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2016, 10:35:53 PM »

Hi burakkucat

I hope you don't mind, but I think rizla is trying to find out if QoS off, and max upload reached, is there are loss or buffering.

I could be wrong so I apologise in advance

Also, I don't think the state of the hg612 is known prior to the wolf firmware been installed, which then gives access to login, to see

If it helps, we have hg612 as standard supplied, so could swap out for BT standard and rely on mydslstats/samknows to see if the upload decreases or increases or remains the same

I hope that makes sense and sorry if I'm wrong

Many thanks

John

« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2016, 09:06:07 AM »

Spot on d2d4j.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2016, 06:39:45 AM »

I tried this when I first read about it in the TBB forum - possibly as far back as 2011.

As my HG612 had been running with QoS enabled by default when I swapped it to a newer 3B version some time ago (I had forgotten to disable it), I disabled it this morning & also forced a modem resync & a router reset.

For essentially no change in US sync speed (from 4784 Kbps to 4789 Kbps), US throughput speed using the BT tester went from 3.72 Mbps to 4.32 Mbps.

« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2016, 04:13:46 PM »

OK what I was looking for was whether the latency went into thousands of milliseconds when QoS was off & you max the upload but not when it was on.

I'm pretty certain that in many (all?) of the busybox builds QoS had prioritising ACKs built in by simply reserving a percentage of available bandwidth up to a maximum value.

If that's the case then there ought to be enough bandwidth for ICMP to show a significant difference in latency between QoS on & QoS off while upstream bandwidth is "maxed".

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #66 on: July 08, 2016, 11:15:25 AM »

I’ve finally managed to get my hands on a second user Firebrick 2700 from AAISP and have successfully bonded my two lines from them. It was a fairly straightforward process following the configuration snippets on the support site. Speeds are impressive as is the Firebrick itself. I’m on the Home::1 product with an extra broadband service sharing the one usage allowance.  :)
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

jjpearce05

« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2016, 08:41:17 PM »

Which options from AAISP did you select and what does it cost ?

thanks

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2016, 12:39:31 PM »

Here's what I currently have from them all under the Home::1 product:

Copper pair for broadband service                                       
Broadband 100GB usage allowance
Add-On: VDSL/FTTC
Add-On: 80/20Mb/s cap on  VDSL/FTTC/FTTP instead of standard  40/10 cap                               
Extra broadband service on same login (no extra usage allowance on my BT line)               
Add-On: VDSL/FTTC
Add-On: 80/20Mb/s cap on  VDSL/FTTC/FTTP instead of standard  40/10 cap

This totals £75 pm :'(. I still have my original line with BT until my LRS runs out when I will move it too + £10. No PSTN calls can be made in their lines, but they can port original BT numbers to their VoIP service I believe.

The Firebrick came in a little bit under half price for the fully loaded version. :)
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

jjpearce05

« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2016, 12:51:02 PM »

thank you !

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2016, 03:48:31 AM »

A (belated) warm welcome to vic0239 into the Firebrick-bonded A & A club!

As you may already know, I run a bonded set of three ADSL2 lines, extremely long. Speed : ~ 2.2 Mbps downstream each, so combined is ~6.6 Mbps, and the combined total upstream is ~0.7 Mbps at the moment (for some reason, it has dropped, it used to be > 1.0 Mbps until recently).

I'm on the "units tariff", I buy a varying number of usage units, but my usage isn't very high. I don't pay "line rental" to anyone else. I buy three copper lines for DSL from A & A, no voice service on them, and I also pay for three lots of BTW priority ("premium" what's it called?) at ~£10 pm per line. I also buy an AA 3G data SIM service for one of my devices plus I have to pay for traffic on that connection. My total bill is typically something like ~£150 per month, I think.

I run a Firebrick FB2700 which I love. I get a very nice IPv4 /26 block, so no NAT at all, and I have an IPv6 /48 of course. I have a single static IPv4 address for my 3G mobile connection (and no IPv6, yet). At some point I'm going to get round to testing VoIP, to see if I've got it set up right.

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2016, 09:30:09 AM »

Thank you weaver!  :drink:

Yes, I love the Firebrick too, great functionality. I have just recently taken a VoIP number from A & A to enable me to get to grips with it prior to porting my existing land line to them. I have set up the Firebrick as a back-to-back SIP endpoint and register my N300 and SPA3102 to the Firebrick. It all feels (and sounds) very stable. I did consider the data SIM, but mobile reception is patchy and prone to going AWOL for a few days here so not much use as a backup service.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2016, 02:47:59 AM »

I have a Siemens N300 VoIP box as well. I had some trouble getting VoIP to work, possibly because I don't have enough free bandwidth, I don't know. So I got AA support to configure the device properly for me.

I have to get round to testing it thoroughly anyway, both with and without heavy load on the Internet connection in both directions. I should have done this ages ago, but I've been seriously under the weather, and then some, a poor excuse.

Shame it doesn't speak IPv6, AA would probably growl at them for this omission.

I haven't worked out how to get the Firebrick to act as a back-to-back gateway, I've configured the firewall rules to let the AA VoIP servers talk directly to the N300 and vice versa. Since I have no NAT at all, I don't see the need to involve the Firebrick in processing the traffic, one less thing to deal with. I could of course get AA staff to help configure the Firebrick to be a man in the middle, but if it works without, well, we’ll see.

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2016, 09:23:29 AM »

I have just a single IPv4 address so decided to go the VoIP gateway route. Once you have your firewall rules in place there are just two further elements to code, one for the carrier (A&A in this instance, but I also have it working with Sipgate) and one or more telephone elements depending on whether you have multiple VoIP phones.

On the N300 point it to my.firebrick.co.uk using the credentials in the telephone element.

Code: [Select]
<voip area-code="0xxxx"
       comment="AAISP">
  <carrier name="AASIP+44xxxxxxxxxx"
           allow="81.187.30.110-119 2001:8b0:0:30::5060:0/112"
           registrar="voiceless.aa.net.uk"
           username="+44xxxxxxxxxx"
           password=“pwd from control pages"
           extn="+44xxxxxxxxx"/>
  <telephone name="N300A"
             username="gigaset"
             password=“a pwd of your choice"
             ddi="+44xxxxxxxxxx"
             extn="100"
             carrier="AASIP+44xxxxxxxxxx"/>
 </voip>

+44xxxxxxxxxx is your A&A VoIP number. You can see the call progress on the Firebrick VoIP status page. Such fun!  ;D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #74 on: August 03, 2016, 05:16:00 PM »

Many thanks for putting that tip together, very good of you.

Apologies for hijacking this thread and drifting seriously off-topic btw.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

anything