Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: CPE Microwave Link To Improve (Extend) Broadband??  (Read 1859 times)

lewisp8

CPE Microwave Link To Improve (Extend) Broadband??
« on: June 05, 2016, 01:52:01 AM »

I unfortunately live in a house which is can only receive BT infinity with speeds at 12Mb/s while the majority of the village get 200Mb on VM, this is ok but when you have a family and 3 kids that 12Mb can soon disappear pretty soon:( Having being told by virgin on many occasions that they have no plans to lay cable on my street i have thought of an idea. It begins when i was browsing at some networking gear and came across these https://www.amazon.co.uk/UBIQUITI-Networks-PBE-5AC-400-PowerBeam-25dBi/dp/B015P31PNW. They are essentially a wireless ethernet bridge that has a real world throughout of around 400Mb @ a range of 10Km+ and according to some reviews i have found, this is true and in some cases was exceeded. (See where I'm going with this  ;D) My brothers house is about 2 miles away and can definitely get VM, i was thinking about the feasibility of getting a virgin service installed at his property and literally wirelessly sending it over to mine using these devices (Both properties within line of sight which is required). Does anybody know if this is common, or if it has been attempted before with any tangible success? I know most mobile sites sites use the same technology to provide data to remote masts where a fibre link is uneconomical so it should work in a domestic broadband situation?

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: CPE Microwave Link To Improve (Extend) Broadband??
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 07:44:16 AM »

These are a great idea but I seem to remember quite some time ago that I read something about it not being legal for a private individual to do this kind of thing across boundaries or public land without the necessary authorisation of some kind. Now this is back in the mists of time past in my memory but I'm sure at one time there was something like this.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
Re: CPE Microwave Link To Improve (Extend) Broadband??
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 11:38:55 AM »

Ofcom require you to have a licence to do this but issuing these is just a formality.

From memory, it costs £50 with an annual fee of £1/year per connection.

http://licensing.ofcom.org.uk/radiocommunication-licences/mobile-wireless-broadband/cellular-wireless-broadband/policy-and-background/broadband-fixed-wireless/