Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 20

Author Topic: Advice on poor quality line  (Read 45596 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Advice on poor quality line
« Reply #195 on: July 08, 2016, 05:18:45 PM »

[off topic]
Is he still about? I looked at his record: he hasn't posted here since February. Do hope he's OK!

Yes, Walter is well and still trundling his wheelbarrow around, helping end-users to get the best from their xDSL services.  :)
[/off topic]
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

MaximusPrime

• Reg Member
  • Software Engineer, Telecoms Novice
« Reply #196 on: July 08, 2016, 05:43:48 PM »

@burakkucat,

thanks for your analysis, I will show the Engineer your thoughts & graph, cheers
FTTP, Billion 8800NL, MDWS Id: MaxPrime

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #197 on: July 08, 2016, 06:55:32 PM »

Right, ok I best not try and discuss that with you then, countless times I've said that you're paying for a more expensive service for no noticeable gain in speed, I really wouldn't have bought FTTC with those line estimates either.
no noticeable gain? he only got 2mb on adsl!! he's been jumping between 6mb - 10mb with fibre. you can barely stream iplayer on 2mb. I remember going from dial-up > 0.5mb >  1mb > 2mb and at the time thinking those were considerable increases. 2mb > 6mb would be enough for me to order fttc, never mind 10mb. considering his achievable upload, 40/2 from the likes of talktalk is free for 12 months, then only £10 for the last 6 months. that's massively worth it imo.

going back to adsl wouldn't/shouldn't be an option. he clearly has a problem with his line, and with persistence OR should get it fixed.

OR should be able to leave something at the EUs home to monitor the line over a longer period. The chances of an intermittent fault happening right when an engineer is visiting is slim. The snrm graphs for your line are up and down like a yoyo, with periods of decent stability inbetween.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

MaximusPrime

• Reg Member
« Reply #198 on: July 08, 2016, 07:06:47 PM »

@j0hn,

thanks for your analysis. Yeah ADSL is not an option for me because I live 6km from my exchange, 3km to my Fibre cabinet. I cut out more than half of the metal wire by using Fibre.

I agree, I said to William before that 2Mb is junk, 8Mb is acceptable, 10Mb is fantastic for 2.8km from the cabinet.

I believe the problem is the rain getting into a joint, since the rain cleared today I haven't experienced any cut outs

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
    • Newton Poppleford Weather
« Reply #199 on: July 08, 2016, 07:15:40 PM »

Sorry, but I don't agree, especially if you're tight on budget. I certainly wouldn't purchase a FTTC service if my line was very dodgy, and yes my line was dodgy on ADSL up until about 2 months before we switched to FTTC. Why would you want to use a fibre service when you can only receive 6 Mbps? If I was in your shoes, I would move back to ADSL, that is my opinion and I'm not budging from it. Obviously, most users on here would just get FTTC if it was available and not think about the potential costs and that it would bring nothing to their internet experience.

MaximusPrime

• Reg Member
« Reply #200 on: July 08, 2016, 07:22:38 PM »

@William Grimsley,

the only way to get a dodgy line fixed is to keep paying, keep investigating & keep getting Engineers out until it's fixed.

2Mb ADSL is not good enough for me, it's like paying for 1 shoe, I need 2.

I need good VDSL for the next several years until FTTP is rolled out so I look at the time & £ spent as a necessity
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 07:25:02 PM by MaximusPrime »

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #201 on: July 08, 2016, 07:25:01 PM »

I understand...

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #202 on: July 08, 2016, 07:42:16 PM »

everyone's entitled to their opinion. My opinion is some just see the word fibre and expect too much from the service. it's no more a fibre service than adsl. they both use fibre for hundreds of miles, with copper towards the end of the line. FTTC simply removes a little more copper.

he paid the same for his 2mb adsl as others do for 20mb adsl. now he pays the same for his 10mb as others do for 80mb. his upload is also up to 1mb now, a massive jump from adsl. 2mb isn't enough for a whole bunch of internet services, including the likes of iplayer. 10mb is enough to run 2 hd iplayer streams at the same time.

Max has already made it clear he's happy with his FTTC speeds compared to adsl. I reckon a majority would pay a little more to go from 2mb to 10mb.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #203 on: July 08, 2016, 07:50:40 PM »

the last 5 hours have been pretty rock solid max, with only 5 or 6 ES in that time, very stable snrm. has it rained in your part of the country today?

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #204 on: July 08, 2016, 07:54:45 PM »

ADSL doesn't use fibre? ADSL is stored in the exchange and then travels either overhead or underground through copper to the PCP then to the EU.

MaximusPrime

• Reg Member
« Reply #205 on: July 08, 2016, 08:00:15 PM »

@j0hn,

It was pretty wet when I woke up this morning & it was raining, I was getting disconnections. The Sun came out & it is completely dry now, no disconnections. I had to turn of the electricity earlier cause were were getting a new fridge installed tho.

@William Grimsley,

I think j0hn means the back bone of the internet uses Fibre between the exchanges

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #206 on: July 08, 2016, 08:30:47 PM »

ADSL doesn't use fibre? ADSL is stored in the exchange and then travels either overhead or underground through copper to the PCP then to the EU.
It does though. it's fibre to the exchange, then copper to your home. some countries have ADSL in the cabinet. we simply call it "Fibre to the cabinet" as an advertising con. In reality though VDLS2 is no more Fibre broadband than ADSL, just a little less copper. In some cases it's more copper than others. My local exchange has 2 AIO Cabinets in front of it for local EO lines. When customers change from ADSL to VDSL2 it's suddenly called Fibre broadband, even though it's the exact same amount of copper/fibre. The ASA shot themselves in the foot allowing Virgin to advertise their HFC as Fibre broadband for years. It's only because of this that VDSL2 is sold as Fiibre broadband.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #207 on: July 08, 2016, 09:00:08 PM »

All I can suggest is another Engineer visit the amount of retrains are bad but the end-user can also cause retrains by rebooting their modem.

I do try to take members DSL stats at face value yet there are many ways to fake it to look much worse than it is for reasons I don't understand.

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #208 on: July 08, 2016, 09:10:49 PM »

Oh, that's a new thing I've learnt today. Where does the fibre come from to the exchanges though? I presume the head exchange feeds the other sub exchanges?

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #209 on: July 08, 2016, 09:15:24 PM »

Oh, that's a new thing I've learnt today. Where does the fibre come from to the exchanges though? I presume the head exchange feeds the other sub exchanges?

You will be learning stuff every day until your six foot under, no one is an expert even the experts have a lot to learn  :)
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 20

anything