Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Anyone successfully got out of a contract because of DLM cap?  (Read 4312 times)

dajg

Hi

I am 6 months into an 18 months contract for FTTC with plusnet (38/2). For the last 4 months I have had a 35mb/sec cap on my line due to DLM (dodgy modem caused a problem, long since swapped out). Given that I am paying for an up to 38mb/sec line and they are only supplying an up to 35mb/sec line surely I can cancel the contract due to them breaching it?

Anyone know if this has been tried before and how it went?

The DLM definitely is no longer necessary my line has uptimes of 50+ days, no interleaving, a 9dB SNRM and less than 10 ES/day, max attainable rate is 40-41mb/sec

mlmclaren

• Reg Member
Re: Anyone successfully got out of a contract because of DLM cap?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 03:35:19 PM »

Depends if your sysnc speed is lower that the ranges suggested by BT Wholesale whcih can be found at their checker....

https://www.btwholesale.com/adslchecker/

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 04:26:07 PM »

you need to check estimate, but you be hard pressed to get out over a measly 3mbit.

dajg

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 07:54:36 PM »

No my line speed is within estimate.

The contract I have says "up to 38mb/sec" surely they have to have some justification for capping me lower other than because sending an engineer out to do a reset costs them money.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 08:00:54 PM »

There is a thread somewhere where Kitz is collecting details of banded/capped lines - you may want to add your details there.

If you were to challenge Plusnet, I guess they would simply say the cap was introduced due to line instability - your line is stable now - and they don't control DLM.

I don't think you would get out of your contract on that basis.

Instead, you need to push Plusnet to send out a broadband engineer who can do a DLM reset for you but you have to ask the question, in real life would you notice the difference - probably not.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 11:04:01 PM »

I get where you coming from, once a line is capped, then your point is that they no longer running the line "as fast as it can go", as they restricting it, I think you do have a point, but the problem is how these products are sold and how the system is designed to absolve responsibility.

e.g. openreach have managed to have no accountability to the end user at all, which is absolutely amazing for them they have a lot to thank ofcom for.  On the flipside, the CPs have the ability to say they are powerless to do anything as they dont own the infrastructure, and even have a NDA pushed to them from openreach giving them a great reason to not tell their customers details.

Ofcom seem only concerned about two things.  Low pricing and retail level competition, they believe increasing competition is enough to drive low prices, so they dont usually enforce prices at the retail level but just make a system that encourages people to change providers regurly and to drive down costs. 

This has led to what we have now, a service on best efforts, sold as cheap as possible, with low levels of support from openreach. 

Your isp will probably just throw the estimated speed at you and remind you that isnt even guaranteed and leave it at that, ideally for them you wouldnt even know if you banded in the first place.

Would I be bothered if I was banded at 35mbit on the 40mbit product? probably not, I used to be banded at 74mbit and I didnt do anything about it.

The situation some plusnet customers had as well where they ordered up to 76mbit and then got provisioned on the 40mbit product because they had low estimates. I dont think anyone managed to get compensation or out of their contract for it, but some managed to get reprovisioned on the proper package.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 11:11:14 PM »

Hi

I'm sorry I could be wrong but I have not seen any stats to show this line is banded

I would ask for a profile change, or a lower snr

I do wonder why the thread started over such a low margin....

As I said, I could be wrong so apologies in advance but I do not see this as DLM banded

Many thanks

John

dajg

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 01:21:25 PM »

I'm sorry I could be wrong but I have not seen any stats to show this line is banded

I sync at exactly 35000mbps irrespective of line conditions. This is banded.

Does the small margin between 35m and 40m matter; probably not but I am getting 12.5% less than what I paid for and I should get it all. No other industry would be allowed to behave like this so it needs to be challenged.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 01:28:37 PM »

Then phone up Plusnet and challenge them, it does after all take far too long for banding to be removed.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2016, 01:56:11 PM »

Yep, never is certainly far too long.  :)

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
    • Newton Poppleford Weather
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 03:57:30 PM »

I managed to do it, simply because the engineer visited was the one who we know personally and he just did a DLM reset from his van, I was impressed. To be honest, CP's should be able to do DLM reset's without having to send an engineer out, it's daft. But, then you've got this argument saying then everyone would start requesting DLM reset's for no reason, which is a very big and valid point. :)

There is this argument where "What can't you do at 35 Mbps that you can do at 40 Mbps" and yes, you can't do a lot more, but that's not the point, every customer of every ISP should get the speed that their line can handle.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2016, 04:15:25 PM »

But, then you've got this argument saying then everyone would start requesting DLM reset's for no reason, which is a very big and valid point. :)

What harm would it do?  Use up a few more of BT or Openreach's electrons?   The only reason that I can see for making it difficult to reinstate speeds, is that it means BTW/OR have less data to carry on their backhauls.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2016, 04:19:07 PM »

But only if it is a BT backhaul, no impact if its TT for example.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
    • Newton Poppleford Weather
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2016, 04:42:57 PM »

It's not a massive problem in our view, but for ISP's they'll probably be more frustrated if anything. :lol:

dajg

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2016, 04:56:31 PM »

Yep, never is certainly far too long.  :)

I have contacted them. Their view "BT won't recognise it as a fault therefore won't do a reset". Discussions are still ongoing.
Pages: [1] 2