Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Cabinet capacity issues - how does it work?  (Read 2051 times)

TheKeymeister

Cabinet capacity issues - how does it work?
« on: June 02, 2016, 09:49:00 PM »

Hi, I currently have a FTTC service (from EE) at my house, but I am moving away to another part of the country. The new house fortunately has FTTC available, and the current owner has a FTTC service installed (not sure on provider). When checking the Openreach site it mentions demand is high at their cabinet, and I may not be able to order yet while they work on a solution.

My question is, when the current owner announces to their service provider they are moving/ceasing, will their FTTC port go to the next on the waiting list (if there is one), become available to whoever is quickest to order, or can I somehow reserve it? I don't really want to stay with EE when I move, and I'm out of contract, but I fear changing providers as well as moving would make it even less likely to go my way.

I'm hoping it'll be something like the cabinet needs another card installing and all will be OK by the time I move, that's what happened where I live now, but I know how slow things happen at BT (used to work there)

Any help much appreciated!
lol, internet

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: Cabinet capacity issues - how does it work?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 10:44:28 PM »

Once the owner of the premises you intend to occupy ceases their VDSL service then this port should be released to a customer on the waiting list if the cabinet is full.

If the uptake has gone above OR expectancy for this cabinet and there are some empty line card slots available then in time it should change to AO
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 10:48:02 PM by NewtronStar »

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 01:02:32 AM »

as answered the line would go to the 1st on the waiting list.
demand being high and not being able to order can be for various reasons. might need a whole new fttc cab, might just need additional line cards. My cabinet was full for about 3 months and started accepting orders again yesterday. it needed more fibre, as they hadn't put in anywhere near enough. meant every cabinet on the fibre route was full.

if the current owner is migrating with his isp your out of luck. if he's out of contract might be able to talk him into switching the name on the bill. not sure what isp's allow this but talktalk do (or did this time last year) subject to credit check of the new bill payer
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

TheKeymeister

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 09:04:58 PM »

Thanks for confirming the existence of a waiting list system. Fortunately the exchange is only at the other end of the village and has WBC so I stand half a chance of getting a decent ADSL connection in the interim. I suspect trying to change the account into my name would be a pain and I doubt he would agree to it, the logistics of trying to sort it all out on moving day would be interesting.

As a matter of interest, how does one join the waiting list? I checked the BT Infinity site and that allowed me to sign up to be emailed when capacity is available (which I did) and the only other option was to sign up to an ADSL based service.
lol, internet

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 10:13:14 AM »

i don't think you can. i know your placed on the waiting list when you manage to get an order in while the cabinet is accepting orders, but perhaps they took too many orders. somebody might correct me on that though. I've certainly never seen anyone able to put an order in when the cabinet is full.

edit: https://www.btwholesale.com/assets/documents/B2B/BTW_Release_AV_Notification_walkthrough_slides_7_7_15.pdf
page 14-16
seems when the cabinet fills they take x a number of orders for the waiters list, then stop taking orders. if order isn't filled within 90 days it is cancelled. if the fibre checker doesn't mention a waiting list it's full.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 11:12:13 AM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

anything