Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Will G.INP on ECI cabs be reenabled?  (Read 12558 times)

ejs

• Kitizen
Re: Will G.INP on ECI cabs be reenabled?
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2016, 05:03:07 PM »

One of the MCT documents (from here) says devices can only be submitted by ISPs, and ISPs are required to supply a device that has passed the testing. Some might have been submitted to Openreach by BTWholesale, I think all of the lists of approved devices are from BTWholesale, which is why they don't list the ISP-branded custom built devices.

BT SIN 498 not only details all the requirements, but it also details how to perform all the tests, so it would be possible for a manufacturer to do almost equivalent testing themselves, although they might not be able to exactly replicate the DSLAM and its firmware.

Perhaps it would be better if whether or not a device has passed the testing did affect sales, but that would require better informed consumers, or perhaps some kind of mandatory prominent labelling and advertising. And of course it would need to be possible for manufacturers to submit devices for testing themselves (I previously thought this was possible, but perhaps it isn't).

atkinsong

• Reg Member
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2016, 05:41:43 PM »

Draytek have certainly put 3 of their products through testing, see below:-

http://www.draytek.co.uk/information/our-technology/bt-sin-498
ISP:A&A, FTTP 160/30, Router Fritzbox 7530

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2016, 06:45:42 PM »

I don't think it actually says Draytek themselves submitted the devices to Openreach for testing. It says they've been tested, and of course Draytek made the necessary changes to get the devices to pass, but not who actually got Openreach to do the testing.

atkinsong

• Reg Member
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2016, 07:42:27 PM »

Are you suggesting then that an ISP submitted 2 Draytek modem/routers and 1 Draytek modem for MCT certification, and was happy for Draytek to claim all the credit and marketing hype whilst remaining completely anonymous?
ISP:A&A, FTTP 160/30, Router Fritzbox 7530

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2016, 07:54:09 PM »

KCOM also maintain a list of approved hardware at http://business.kcom.com/products/connect/broadband/approved-hardware/

This shows that Draytek (for example) have 12 approved models - though I note, all share the same chipset and firmware.

I guess Openreach are not concerned if modems support WiFi, 3G/LTE etc. - which actually makes the testing regime easier if only one version model has to qualify.. But it also makes it less acceptable that Asus/others haven't had their kit approved.

Self install FTTC has been around for several years now.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2016, 08:01:04 PM »

One or more ISPs (who are customers of BTWholesale) asked BTWholesale for the Drayteks to be certified I expect. Is there much marketing hype to be had for saying you've got something that you're required to have? ISPs have to supply certified devices.

Quote from: Process Guide for CPEe Modem Conformance Testing
If you are a reseller or a CPE Vendor and wish to have your devices verified, you will
need to contact your GEA-FTTC service supplier who will engage with Openreach on
your behalf. Please note that such requests to test your devices should be made by
service providers and not by yourself

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2016, 08:13:29 PM »

they might not be able to exactly replicate the DSLAM and its firmware.
BT have a testing facility at Adastral Park where manufacturers can pay to test their modems in a live network situation. I'd guess they have various DSLAMs all hooked up to test firmware on.

edit: going by your post above, perhaps the manufacturers can't book this themself, but it's there for them to use.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 08:21:06 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Ktor

« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2016, 08:57:18 PM »

KCOM also maintain a list of approved hardware at http://business.kcom.com/products/connect/broadband/approved-hardware/

Which is identical to the list you posted here http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,17086.0.html supposedly released by some ISP so it doesn't look like KCOM did any more than nick that list from somewhere.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2016, 11:02:34 PM »

Very briefly as I'm not well and backlogged with everything.

- AFAIK MCT testing is free (certainly for SPs) although retest upon failure isn't.

- There is or at least was a way in which modem/router manufactures could approach Openreach for MCT testing. I have seen something in the past to indicate there is/was 2 routes. 

- I discussed MCT with TP-link in Oct 2014 with their UK product manager who was going to take it up with their Head Office in China.   Since I havent heard anything further, their HO may either have decided against it OR not realised back in 2014 how important it could be.

- Zyxel apparently applied off their own back.  I spoke to someone @ Zyxel UK about 7/8 months ago when I asked which f/w they used on the test equipment.  Their official announcement last year also indicates that they did so.

- I note that some of the big ISP branded modems do not make that list although they obviously should have been through testing. ie the Sky Hub, BTr/consumers HH5, Plusnets Hub One.  Why isnt the HG612 and ECI modem on there yet they should be.   What about the likes of some of the other ISPs (say EE) theyve had more than enough warning to ensure that their modems are tested and Openreach make it abundantly clear that support will not be given if they don't.

- Last year at one of the ISP forum events, Openreach asked for suggestions from the ISPs for modems to go through testing.   I doubt the big names will have put anything forward since they will have all been concentrating on their own equipment.

supposedly released by some ISP so it doesn't look like KCOM did any more than nick that list from somewhere.

Updated lists are issued to the ISPs and there is the ISP forum documentation provided by BT wholesale/Openreach, which is why all the ISP lists are identical.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Ktor

« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2016, 11:38:07 PM »

Updated lists are issued to the ISPs and there is the ISP forum documentation provided by BT wholesale/Openreach, which is why all the ISP lists are identical.

Do KCOM provide any FTTC service through openreach cabinets? I assumed that list was approved for use with their own cabinets in Hull and it being identical to others indicating that they didn't do any independent testing against their own equipment.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2016, 11:52:38 PM »

Eclipse Internet were renamed KCOM (reflecting the fact they have been owned by them for years).

In Hull, they provide the Zyxel VMG8924 for their LightStream product

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2016, 03:57:18 PM »

The ISP forum is done by BTWholesale. I thought it was BTWholesale asking for devices that BTWholesale would then send to Openreach for testing. I think the lists we've seen come from BTWholesale, and they only list generic devices that could be used by lots of different (smaller) ISPs.
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything