Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Will G.INP on ECI cabs be reenabled?  (Read 12395 times)

Ornum

Will G.INP on ECI cabs be reenabled?
« on: May 28, 2016, 09:10:50 PM »

For the couple of months I had G.INP active on my line my connection was the best it has ever been in the 3 or so years I've been on infinity. After the rollback of G.INP my connection is now worse than it was before G.INP was rolled out. With G.INP my ping in games was a third to half what it was before and I gained around 8mb extra download and 2mbs upload.

I've read that OR are working to fix the issues, but do you think they will actually find a fix? And if so does anyone have an idea of how long this could take?

Cheers!

ejs

• Kitizen
Re: Will G.INP on ECI cabs be reenabled?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 09:25:34 PM »

I've not even heard a detailed description of what the actual problem(s) are, just vague very high-level statements that there was an increase in the number of faults reported, plus a few mentions of certain incompatible devices, but I can't believe Openreach would have disabled G.INP on all ECI cabinets due to a small number of third-party incompatible devices.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 11:39:43 PM »

I am 100% sure it will be re-enabled they just need to find away to differentiate incompatible modems from compatible modems a guess this will need to done at a low level stage in the FTTC ECI cabinet.

So If your modem is incompatible with G.INP then you will get either Fastpath or Interleaving and no G.INP.

If the modem is compatible then G.INP will be available if the end-users line needs it.
I would hope to see G.INP ECI MK4 coming back in late July  :fingers:

PS this is only a predication

Ktor

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 12:20:34 AM »

I am 100% sure it will be re-enabled they just need to find away to differentiate incompatible modems from compatible modems a guess this will need to done at a low level stage in the FTTC ECI cabinet.

Since most cabinets are Huawei and have had G.INP for a year they have plenty of information about what modems are and are not compatible with G.INP. This huge mess is obviously down to a faulty and completely inadequately tested implementation of G.INP on the ECI cabinets.

Don't know why you are trying to pin it on modems all of which must be working adequately on Huawei cabinets.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 12:28:30 AM »

Don't know why you are trying to pin it on modems all of which must be working adequately on Huawei cabinets.

I know only to well we lost G.INP on the upstream on Huawei cabinets last year down to incompatible modems and it's the same for ECI users only this time it's on the downstream as the ECI cabinet can't do G.INP on the upstream.

Ornum

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 12:38:10 AM »

Just seeing someone predict July makes me happy:)

Anyway, I don't really understand all this stuff, why cant ECI cabinets have G.INP on the upstream?

Would anyone care to educate me on the ins and outs on why there are different cabinets, why G.INP works on one but not the other, etc?

Cheers!

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 12:49:23 AM »

The best place to start is at the beginning Ornum
with this thread http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,15283.0.html

Ornum

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2016, 12:55:14 AM »

Cheers mate

Ktor

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2016, 01:01:48 AM »

I know only to well we lost G.INP on the upstream on Huawei cabinets last year down to incompatible modems and it's the same for ECI users only this time it's on the downstream as the ECI cabinet can't do G.INP on the upstream.

ECI cabinets are probably as crap as the modems you are calling incompatible, neither having enough processor and/or memory to implement G.INP in both directions.

My Asus modem supports G.INP in both directions but against the ECI implementation just got banded to 64Mb and interleaved in both directions and I still have downstream interleave 70 days after this farce started. How hard would it have been for BT to buy one of each modem from their own god damn BT Shop and try them before rolling out on 1/4 of a million lines? The incompetence is stunning. 

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2016, 06:37:08 AM »

I really don't think Openreach need to make allowances for end user modems not supporting downstream G.INP. SIN 498 makes downstream G.INP mandatory, whereas upstream G.INP is optional (but recommended). The vast majority of end users will be using a modem/router supplied by their ISP.

Didn't the Asus modems get a firmware update to fix the G.INP issue on ECI cabinets? Doesn't that suggest the problem was with the Asus modem?

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2016, 08:04:04 AM »

A while ago someone (cant remember who - sorry) posted a link to an update on the ECI cabinet situation from BT which was intended for ISPs so no one here could read it. After my complaint to the CEO office at TT I sent an email referring to this document asking for an update. The reply I got was less than helpful - a point blank refusal to tell me what it said.

So ISPs do have some information on this but they are not saying what is happening. Now that could be bad news that they dont want to pass on or it could be that they are genuinely constrained by non-disclosure, we are unlikely to know. Currently anything said here about if/when ECI may/may not get G.INP reinstated is pure speculation I believe.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Ktor

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2016, 01:34:26 PM »

I really don't think Openreach need to make allowances for end user modems not supporting downstream G.INP. SIN 498 makes downstream G.INP mandatory, whereas upstream G.INP is optional (but recommended). The vast majority of end users will be using a modem/router supplied by their ISP.

Didn't the Asus modems get a firmware update to fix the G.INP issue on ECI cabinets? Doesn't that suggest the problem was with the Asus modem?

The only comment I have seen about Asus modems and ECI G.INP is that a G.INP connection is not established and they get +1 level of DLM applied - exactly what I got. There was no firmware update for the issue. I have also not seen comment on any problem with the DSL-AC68U and G.INP on Huawei cabinets which as far as G.INP is concerned makes it better than many.  I have seen modem screenshots of G.INP active up and down in Italy and Australia. It likely doesn't have a G.INP problem to be fixed.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2016, 03:52:59 PM »

The firmware release notes for the DSL-AC68U version 3.0.0.4.380_3034 dated 2016/05/13 lists:
Fixed IOT issues with specific version of ECI DSLAM

IOT possibly an abbreviation for "interoperability testing". I'm assuming that line is referring to G.INP. The same line is in the release notes for other Asus VDSL2 models, as they all use MediaTek VDSL2 chipsets.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2016, 04:19:43 PM »

The best thing for now is I think to forget about this, as this could be several months before it reappears.  BT will be more cautious to try it again as they wont want to do another rollout and then pull it again.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2016, 04:41:29 PM »

Since most cabinets are Huawei and have had G.INP for a year they have plenty of information about what modems are and are not compatible with G.INP.
Things aren't as straightforward as that.

The standards allow for multiple implementations of G.INP, at both ends. When you see something working, all you can say is that one particular combination works.

With Huawei cabs working with lots of modems, we know that one set of combinations work - which might amount to around 10% of all combinations. But we know nothing about other combinations. So...

This huge mess is obviously down to a faulty and completely inadequately tested implementation of G.INP on the ECI cabinets.

... it is really hard to make this conclusion stick as the *only* possibility.

It is indeed one possibility amongst many. Unfortunately, faulty modem implementations are also a possibility - and become more likely if other modems work just fine.

What is certainly true is that the combination of ECI cabinet and at least one modem hasn't been tested together. Whose fault is that? Who specifies the range of modems that *should* be tested against? Should we expect more than, say, those modems put forward by ISPs for conformance testing?

IMO, there isn't one problem here, some aspects seem more likely to be caused by the cabinet; some by modems.
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything