Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Faulty router or something else help please  (Read 2670 times)

olwalh

Faulty router or something else help please
« on: May 25, 2016, 11:02:57 PM »

I have spoken again to BT who claim that my router is faulty (Billion 8900AX-2400). Everything was fine until yesterday when I suffered 3 resync's in a few minutes, reason code 1 then 4 then 1. Tonight I suffered 5 within a few minutes reason code 0 then 1 then 1 then 4 then 1 again. I am on MyDSLWeb stats (olwalh) if someone who unstandards more about these things could have have a quick look I would be greatfull. Yesterday BT said there was nothing wrong, today there is nothing wrong with the line but the router could be faulty.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Faulty router or something else help please
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 12:24:32 AM »

The normal response by the typical first line support entity is to categorically insist that the problem originates elsewhere. ("No, it cannot possibly be due to the physical infrastructure of the circuit . . . It has to be the end-user's modem/router."  ::) )

I have taken a look and my initial response to your circuit's SNRM plot is "Yuck!" :yuck:

I see nothing as to the origin of the problem, at the moment. We must watch and wait.

Have you performed a Quiet Line Test, with a wired telephone directly connected to the test socket of the NTE5/A? If yes, was there anything audible?

daveesh1 speculates that your circuit may be showing similar symptoms to that of his own. I think it is currently too early to form any conclusion.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

olwalh

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 12:56:30 AM »

I ran the quite line test, I did not hear anything. I swapped the Billion 8900AX-2400 for the unlocked HG-612 however I am still seeing regular disconnections.
BT customer support have been, as expected, useless. The problem started at ~11 on Tuesday the 24th at or around the same time as the US SNRm crashed.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 02:37:31 AM »

Once again, we seem to see an increase in attenuation as one of the symptoms.

This is weird - three in a week, showing signs I've not seen before.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 03:39:55 PM »

Once again, we seem to see an increase in attenuation as one of the symptoms.

This is weird - three in a week, showing signs I've not seen before.

Yes, very weird.  ???

(I am also sensing a minor tingling in my whiskers but, so far, it has not developed into something that I could "put a paw onto".)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

olwalh

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 10:43:40 AM »

So after several weeks of stable operations, this morning (shortly after 8am) there was a deduction in both US and DS SNRM (from 6.8db to 5.5db). Nothing has changed at my end. Are such sudden deductions in SNRM normal.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 02:42:07 PM »

A new FTTC subscriber causes new signals in the shared cables, which inject noise into existing subscribers. This is known as crosstalk.

The usual sign of one of your neighbours signing up to FTTC can indeed be a drop in SNRM, and it can be more severe than 1.3dB.

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
    • Newton Poppleford Weather
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2016, 02:54:07 PM »

To be honest, I know this is a forum, but it sounds like the infrastructure is starting to fall apart! :lol:

olwalh

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2016, 03:11:02 PM »

A new FTTC subscriber causes new signals in the shared cables, which inject noise into existing subscribers. This is known as crosstalk.

The usual sign of one of your neighbours signing up to FTTC can indeed be a drop in SNRM, and it can be more severe than 1.3dB.

Thanks, I guess that is route cause.