Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 18

Author Topic: Strange happenings on my line yesterday  (Read 51811 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Strange happenings on my line yesterday
« Reply #150 on: June 24, 2016, 01:56:21 PM »

The resynchronisation event of this morning was preceded by a disturbance in the US SNRM . . . though there was significant elapsed time between both events to rule out a direct connection.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #151 on: June 26, 2016, 03:52:41 PM »

Whatever it is which is causing my problems just hit again at 14:02 today with a re-sync and 479kbps up speed!!!!!

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #152 on: June 26, 2016, 04:00:04 PM »

Yes, I have noticed.  :o

Yet again, the Hlog plot is showing signs of a metallic pathway defect.  :(

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #153 on: June 28, 2016, 03:54:21 PM »

BT guy has just left, been here about an hour and run all sorts of tests but of course as we all know intermittent faults don't play ball and he could find nothing. Anyway I did show him several graphs and sets of stats to show the issue. The last thing he did was a full DLM reset which has removed interleaving and put my speeds back to some semblance of normality. Now to wait and see. He did say that they are getting a number of issues now G.INP has been removed where a full reset seems to fix things. Anyway I wont hold my breath just yet.

Stuart

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
    • Newton Poppleford Weather
« Reply #154 on: June 28, 2016, 04:23:20 PM »

Will be interesting to see what happens over the coming days.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #155 on: July 08, 2016, 09:40:20 AM »

Well its 10 days since my line was reset and it is behaving pretty well now as it was prior to the issues.

Initially the first OR guy found and fixed a phone line fault but told me he was unable to do anything about resetting the broadband part. As the issues continued I managed to get a second OR visit this time for a broadband fault. This second guy confirmed that the phone line was still fine so after running a number of tests the last taking several minutes he finally reset the line completely from a broadband perspective. Now it has been behaving perfectly, well at least as well as it was prior to all the issues and I'm still on fastpath.

His comment to me was (as I already mentioned elsewhere here) that in his experience removing G.INP on ECI did not work well and that several lines needed a full reset to get them working properly, and in my case this certainly seems to have been true. So it does seem at least for some that there is a problem after the removal of G.INP which nothing will fix other than a complete reset, certainly fixing the phone fault did not fix the problem at all.

Stuart

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #156 on: July 08, 2016, 04:26:50 PM »

Thank you for the update and for passing on the Openreach technician's observations.  :)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #157 on: July 08, 2016, 06:10:16 PM »

I had a DLM re-sync for mis-detection this afternoon, still at more or less the same speed and fastpath.

Stuart

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #158 on: July 10, 2016, 08:31:46 PM »

Now my 10 days since the reset have expired and my line seems fixed I have sent the following to TT

OK so since the last OR guy reset my line it has been fine.

As I explained this second OR guy said that in his experience some lines on ECI cabinets seem to need a complete reset following the removal of G.INP in order for them to behave as they should and this certainly seems to me to be the case with this line. There was a phone fault but repairing that on the first OR visit did not fix the broadband problems.

In my opinion if you have a phone fault AND a broadband fault then the OR person should be able to do a complete reset of the line once the phone fault has been fixed. It is not sensible from either the EU or OR's point of view to have to send two engineers out just so the second one can do the required reset, it is a waste of OR resources and does nothing for customer satisfaction.

This issue could have been fixed on the 2nd June if the first visit had reset my line, because this OR guy was not a broadband engineer he was unable to do this. So I've had to wait a further 26 days till the 28th June for the second OR guy to simply reset the line. This is completely unacceptable and in my view a complete waste of OR's time and mine waiting in for the second visit not to mention the 26 days of further problems.

I'm not sure it will get anywhere but I do feel strongly about this and believe that the way this currently works if not sensible.

Stuart

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #159 on: July 10, 2016, 10:46:23 PM »

If the ECI DSLAM was the culprit to your up and down SNRM which still looks like someone using this command on a compatible VDSL modem adsl configure --mod v  --maxDataRate xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx then there could many end-users like yourself that need a engineer DLM reset since G.INP was removed.

That does not bode well for G.INP coming back on ECI cabinets unless you already have IPTV my prediction of G.INP being enabled by the end of July is slowly fading away into the dark
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 10:48:35 PM by NewtronStar »

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #160 on: July 11, 2016, 07:55:29 AM »

I used to use the xdslctl configure command to limit my connection to 65000kbps but have not had that set up for over a year now so it was not in use when G.INP was turned on and is not in use since. I have no idea why I only see the speeds I am getting now, prior to all this they were a little higher, the problem is that they will not consider any bug now because my speeds are within the limits suggested by the Wholesale checker. I am certainly not using any command to limit it.

Stuart

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #161 on: July 11, 2016, 02:50:25 PM »

that in his experience removing G.INP on ECI did not work well and that several lines needed a full reset to get them working properly

Definitely an interesting comment from the OR guy. That suggests the rollback method, the way of putting the network back to how it was before, wasn't that good either.

That does not bode well for G.INP coming back
I always doubted that G.INP would be back by July - the mere choice of implementing rollback after a month meant there was no trust in what was deployed. To regain trust will have meant not only finding and fixing the issue(s), whether they exist within ECI or DLM (or both), but performing a large amount of regression testing.

Looking now, BT will not allow a rollout to even start without allowing room for a complete (new) rollout and a complete new rollback (in case) to happen well clear of any Christmas freeze. If we don't see signs of it by the beginning of September, I doubt we'll see anything until February.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #162 on: July 11, 2016, 09:03:07 PM »

I have had a reply from one of the TT OCEs to my recent update about why it needed two visits to reset my line which unsurprisingly says nothing.

I wonder if Black Sheep might be able to shed some light on what is and is not allowed when a phone guy finds and fixes a fault which can also be demonstrated to interfere with broadband and why a reset cannot be at least requested if not performed by the phone guy?

Stuart

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #163 on: July 11, 2016, 09:34:58 PM »

I have had a reply from one of the TT OCEs to my recent update about why it needed two visits to reset my line which unsurprisingly says nothing.

I wonder if Black Sheep might be able to shed some light on what is and is not allowed when a phone guy finds and fixes a fault which can also be demonstrated to interfere with broadband and why a reset cannot be at least requested if not performed by the phone guy?

Stuart

I can't say I've seen anything 'set in stone' that a network engineer can't perform a DLM reset, but their 'Job standards' (which are like the bible) do not make mention that this is a requirement. They also won't be in possession of the relevant numbers, or system access to do the reset. An easy fix I hear you say, but if they do perform a DLM reset and the circuit doesn't come back into synch ..... they're screwed, as they won't know where to start ?.

However on a broadband fault it is a job standard requirement if, and only if, a service affecting fault has been located. I suppose the red-tape side of it is, the network engineer cannot conclusively prove that his remedial work has resolved all DSL issues ?? He will only be working to dial-tone if you like.

I'm not taking sides here, and this is just my personal opinion ................... the powers that be really do want DLM to be a hands-off system unless absolutely necessary.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #164 on: July 11, 2016, 10:23:13 PM »

Thanks BS. I'm sure that you can understand my frustration when following a line fix I have a further 26 days of problems which are then fixed by a reset on a second visit when all he does is that reset. 26 days of continuing less than optimal broadband for no good reason at all. If the attending OR guy cannot do the reset why should he not be able to request a reset by some back office person where it can be logged and tracked to prevent misuse? I do find it hard to believe that a physical line fault will not affect the broadband connection in the vast majority of cases.

I can understand the concerns in some ways but it does not seem to me to be an insurmountable problem and I feel can contribute to some of the less than optimal views people hold about BT OR. If a genuine fault is fixed on the line I honestly believe a reset is not likely to make things worse, agreed if there is another underlying issue then it may well not fix it but then nothing really has been lost and in that case if the attending OR guy is unable to do more he should be able to organise someone who can work on the issue without the EU having to play silly b***ers with their ISP to arrange a second visit.

I also understand that fixing this issue is well above your pay grade  ;)

Stuart
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 18