Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18

Author Topic: Strange happenings on my line yesterday  (Read 51804 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
Re: Strange happenings on my line yesterday
« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2016, 05:36:32 PM »

I would not cancel for sure, right now the speed drops will be logged on openreach systems which an engineer can view, if you left it for a while and tried to fix again at a later date they would be squashed from the records.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2016, 05:51:29 PM »

I'm not touching anything until the OR guy has been tomorrow PM.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2016, 06:18:00 PM »

Always good to recreate a fault that disappears. At least you can try using the landline again tomorrow if need be.

A graph like this might help persuade that *something* has gone wrong recently...

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2016, 03:19:06 PM »

The engineer is here now and says there is an HR fault, he's up the telegraph pole right now and discussing it with another OR guy. Apparently TT booked this as a phone fault so he can resolve that but not the broadband fibre if it needs sorting!

Stuart

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2016, 04:26:17 PM »

The OR guys (there are two now) are still here. They have left an oscillator on the line and are working down the road between here and the cabinet. No phone or internet now for quite a while. Using my phone and a hotspot at present to get on the net. No word as to what might be the problem yet. Lets hope they do fix it.

Stuart

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2016, 05:15:19 PM »

Well I now have a line up and working which the JDSU says tests OK and no HR fault exists. All I need now is for TT to request a DLM reset to remove the restrictions it is causing as my U/S sync is 9995 kbps and D/D 55893kbps wich is far below what it should run at and was prior to all this trouble.

Now waiting on a response from TT.

Stuart

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2016, 05:23:24 PM »

do the stats stay stable during phone use?

daveesh1

• Reg Member
« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2016, 05:29:15 PM »

Well at least your engineer has found something just a shame they can't arrange DLM reset.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2016, 05:38:46 PM »

The DS&US SNRm look very steady for 1 hour your DS SNRm is showing 6.3dB were is the extra sync going to come from via a DLM reset yes once interleaving is removed then less overheads but the line does not seem to be capped in anyway  :-\

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #69 on: June 02, 2016, 06:00:13 PM »

Yes so far the stats have been stable when the phone has been used. Apparently TT reported this as a phone fault so the guy who came said he cannot do anything about broadband. As to where the speed comes from well prior to my line having all these issues it was syncing D/S at about 65000kbps which is what I expect it to return to as D/S attainable is 71000kbps, U/S attainable is 24000kbps and was running at a tad under 20000kbps prior to the issues and now has 16db snrm. So I do expect it to return to pretty much what it was before and if it does not I shall be asking why. While I had G.INP I got a sync of about 70000mbps D/S, my U/S was always pretty solid at about 19995kbps. I'm on an 80/20 contract with TT.

Stuart

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #70 on: June 02, 2016, 06:30:46 PM »

I can see now BStairs well that looks like a fix to me but JDSU says no fault found no HR fault then what the heck did they fix ?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #71 on: June 02, 2016, 06:32:50 PM »

They fixed HR, most HR wont be detected by JDSU.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #72 on: June 02, 2016, 06:38:39 PM »

They fixed HR, most HR wont be detected by JDSU.

Have been reading the JDSU manual it should pick up and display the exact HR fault in meters

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #73 on: June 02, 2016, 06:55:15 PM »

That's certainly good that they found *something* and stayed around to fix it. Now it's a matter of keeping fingers crossed that they found the right thing, and did the right fix ... and we can only tell that by leaving things running for a while.

Attenuation currently looks fine, we'll have to judge everything else tomorrow.

As for the speeds?

Right now, it looks like DLM has gone for some ultra-heavy intervention settings for downstream, so I imagine your line is carrying a heavy FEC overhead alongside a long interleaving latency. I can't see the full framing information on MyDslWebStats, but it would be fair to assume that your eventual speed (without DLM intervention) will pan out to be roughly half way between the current and the attainable value.

Upstream speed looks to have been banded - in hindsight, it might have been banded for a while, at 17Mbps, then 15Mbps, and then 10Mbps.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #74 on: June 03, 2016, 10:16:52 AM »

I have heard from TT this morning who assure me that the BT systems will reset DLM within 48 hours of the fault being fixed. Now I've not heard that before but am willing to leave things 48 hours, but if nothing happens after that I will get back on to them. Does anyone here know if this is the way BT systems work?

Stuart

Edit: Further update from TT suggesting the BT systems have changed and now set a max attainable rate on reset and if this is lower than the rate I was getting rpior to the problems then they can raise a fault with BT to ask why. Be even more interesting to know if this is known about by anyone here?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 10:40:46 AM by broadstairs »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18