Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18

Author Topic: Strange happenings on my line yesterday  (Read 51809 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: Strange happenings on my line yesterday
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2016, 06:00:34 PM »

I suggest you stop swapping kit round in the days leading up to the visit, so they cannot blame that for your issues.

With the saved graphs from DSLStats I'd like to see them try ....  ;)  NO more swapping now anyway, the HG635 has issues trying to cope with the errors and it has an old f/w version in it  and although it was not dropping the line it did give some strange errors to DSLStats. Its probably a year or so since I last used it and I know there was a f/w update put out by TT which may have a be needed to cope with any changes in the ECI cabinet, it worked pretty well before though. Anyway the ZyXEL is back now and will be staying.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2016, 11:55:33 AM »

Despite me changing the date of the OR engineer to 2nd June I just had a text from OR to say they are coming on 31st May. Just typical dont know who is to blame as I had confirmation from TT that the date was changed. Anyway I've told TT that I wont accept any changes due to a missed appointment. If the engineer turns up tomorrow he is unlikely to find us which is why I changed the date!

Stuart

Fortunately there is someone there in TT today who has sorted it hopefully .. I'll wait and see what happens.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 12:49:44 PM by broadstairs »

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2016, 10:13:45 AM »

I thought this might happen.... for the past couple of days my line has not been behaving very badly although it is still not running like it was before probably due to the DLM intervention. I'm hoping it will behave badly once again before the OR guy comes on Thursday. One thing I was wondering about is whether the issue is weather related, namely mainly temperature because some days it got worse later as the day warmed up and recovered somewhat as it cooled overnight, the last couple of days have not been warm and sunny, and the outlook weather wise is not brilliant for the rest of the week, the cabinet is positioned on the N side of the road facing S so it will be in the sun for quite a bit of the day.

I was chatting to my neighbour opposite on Sunday and asked him if his internet was behaving OK, he is off the same master pole as me although off the slaved pole on the other side of the road, but he said although his speeds are well below what he thought he should get (he gets about 36mbps I think) he is not seeing any drops or speed degradation, he is with BT not TT. I assume he is supplied from the same cabinet as me.

Anyway time will tell....

Stuart

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2016, 08:18:09 AM »

I am in a quandary this morning about what to do over my line and the OR chap coming tomorrow now.

My line is behaving pretty well now although speeds are below what they should be this I think is down to the DLM intervention that happened while it was bad. Also the hiss and crackle which was evident on the phone has gone as well.

Do I cancel the OR guy this morning and wait and see if it goes bad again or do I let him come on Thursday and hope he finds something wrong, but with no apparent errors on the line will he even take a close look despite me having the evidence from MDWS and DSLStats?

What do folks here think is the best option?

Stuart

daveesh1

• Reg Member
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2016, 09:06:57 AM »

Yeah I was wondering if it was weather related  as mine has also behaved since Friday as it was quiet warm and has been overcast since. Boost eng or line engineer attending ?

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2016, 09:15:27 AM »

Boost eng or line engineer attending ?

I have no idea and no idea what you mean  ;) TT just said they booked an OR guy to come.

Stuart

daveesh1

• Reg Member
« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2016, 09:28:39 AM »

From my experience  of BT there seems to be two types of visit a fault visit and a broadband boost visit. Boost visit may well reset DLM regardless and a fault visit can only reset DLM if they find a fault. I would think it will be a fault visit hope he's better than the one that came to me last week all he did was plug his test phone in and said yeah that's fine all working. He wasn't interested in the issue we have been having recently.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2016, 09:59:15 AM »

if its weather related its still a fault, probably a leak somewhere dampening a joint or something, no way should rain have that kind of impact on a line.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2016, 10:26:11 AM »

I dont think its rain in my case it started to go wrong not when it rained but when the temperature started to go up, its been fine over the previous couple of days when we have had rain and damp overcast conditions.

Stuart

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2016, 11:05:25 AM »

I read somewhere that only BT/Plusnet use 'Boost' engineers - the other ISPs (the large ones anyway) have opted not to do so.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2016, 11:21:04 AM »

I decided to take a look at my weather station and compare the data against MDWS and discovered that we had 11.7 mm rain over the 3 days prior to my line starting to misbehave on the 23rd May, subsequently it was mainly dry until yesterday when we had 4.6 mm, and today we have just had quite heavy rain with 1.5 mm in the past 20 minutes or so.

So I guess it could just be rain related in that something somewhere got wet and took several days to dry out and caused the problems while it was doing so.

Stuart

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
    • Newton Poppleford Weather
« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2016, 12:11:04 PM »

Hmm, sounds very much like water ingress, we had this problem years ago and it got so bad we had very limited service for weeks...

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2016, 12:13:55 PM »

My line is behaving pretty well now although speeds are below what they should be this I think is down to the DLM intervention that happened while it was bad. Also the hiss and crackle which was evident on the phone has gone as well.

Yes, the speed reduction will be down to the current level of DLM intervention.

The problems, though, do seem to have cleared up. For 48 hours, there have been no more jumps in attenuation, no more shakiness to the SNRM, and very few FEC, CRC, ES or SES.

Me, I'd let the engineer turn up anyway. He might find something anyway.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2016, 01:30:07 PM »

Yes I ma coming round to that anyway. Unfortunately my wife is never keen on people turning up and tramping round the house in their size 10s, especially as the master socket is in the eaves behind the bed in the front bedroom!

Stuart

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2016, 04:17:19 PM »

Well I'm very glad I decided to leave the OR guy on for the visit. I just used the landline and immediately  the line dropped with upstream U1 SNRM now zero and the U0 and U2 SNRM at 2.9 and 1.7 respectively, so I guess it is rain ingress somewhere between the cabinet and my master socket although that is completely dry so I guess realistically it must be as far as the pole top. Lets hope it does not dry out before tomorrow PM.

Stuart
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18

anything