Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18

Author Topic: Strange happenings on my line yesterday  (Read 51779 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: Strange happenings on my line yesterday
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2016, 08:14:41 PM »

I have now been out to the pole right outside my house and indeed the cable from the underground duct comes up from a box in the footpath directly in front of said pole and as far as I can see into the largest box on the pole top. The other pole opposite is slaved off my pole but my connection is directly off the master pole, that would appear to come off the second largest box.

After another resync around 18:21 tonight my speeds are back up to 61000+ kbps down and nearly 17000kbps up with snrm of around 6db or so down and 10+ db up. Now to see how long it lasts. Last night it all settled down around 18:00 or so somewhat and all hell broke loose again this morning. All very strange.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2016, 07:42:09 AM »

This morning DLM did intervene and pushed up INP to 3.5, so far the trouble from the past couple of days has not started again and if it does not then TT probably wont find any errors on the line  >:(

Stuart

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2016, 02:58:40 PM »

Needless to say TT cannot find any errors now on my line. However I do get noise on the voice line which is still present when only using a corded phone at the master test socket and this has been reported to TT. Strange that now practically any phone use drops sync and this only started this week, although the phone has dropped SNRM for awhile now but no way as badly as it is now.

Stuart

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2016, 03:51:40 PM »

The crucial test, with noticeable audible noise, is whether it is still present when all xDSL equipment is disconnected from the circuit.

Basically if the noise is still present when only a wired telephone is connected across the pair then that is a fault which should be reported to the telephony service provider.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2016, 03:57:50 PM »

The crucial test, with noticeable audible noise, is whether it is still present when all xDSL equipment is disconnected from the circuit.

Basically if the noise is still present when only a wired telephone is connected across the pair then that is a fault which should be reported to the telephony service provider.

Yes and it is present with a corded phone in the master test socket and nothing else in the house connected, not even the router. This has been reported back and I am waiting on their reply. After reconnecting everything my SNRM is all over the place again with the U1 upstream SNRM now at zero again - see MDWS.

Stuart
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 04:00:42 PM by broadstairs »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2016, 04:04:04 PM »

Yes and it is present with a corded phone in the master test socket and nothing else in the house connected, not even the router. This has been reported back and I am waiting on their reply.

That's good to know.  :)

Would you be able to describe the noise? Is it a rushing sound? A hissing sound? Clicks? Plops? Crackles? Hum? . . .

After reconnecting everything my SNRM is all over the place again with the U1 upstream SNRM now at zero again - see MDWS.

:(

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2016, 04:27:25 PM »

Its odd pops and crackle which can be heard over the dial tone and when I press a key to stop the dial tone there I would say a rustle type sound in the background as well as the odd pop or crackle.

Is there a quiet line test which should work on a TT line?

Stuart

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2016, 04:38:51 PM »

Its odd pops and crackle which can be heard over the dial tone and when I press a key to stop the dial tone there I would say a rustle type sound in the background as well as the odd pop or crackle.

They are the symptoms of a failing or otherwise defective joint. It should be a straightforward task to find and eradicate.

Is there a quiet line test which should work on a TT line?

No, unfortunately.  :no:

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2016, 05:55:49 PM »

I have had a couple of texts from TTon my alternate contact number asking me to call their 0800 number which is their fault line but when I entered my TT phone number it said that there was not a fault reported against that number! Talk about left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing  :o  >:( Ofcourse calling them on the landline caused a re-sync again  >:(

Stuart

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2016, 06:17:16 PM »

I have recently made a post in daveesh1's thread . . .

Series capacitive effect, maybe?  :-\

b*cat wonders what WWWombat thinks?

Over on @daveesh1's line, the effect on the Hlog graph is very pronounced, and does indeed look just like the one shown in the JDSU slide. A low-frequency drop-off - across the first 250 tones or so.

However, over here on Stuart's line, it doesn't look as clear cut. The symptoms - in the SNRM chart - look very similar, and are now, if anything, getting worse. But Hlog doesn't show the same "simple" drop-off. I've attached an MDWS comparison of the two lines.

Now, Stuart's line is definitely showing something. There is certainly a whole set of "squiggly" readings from tone 150 through to 400, and the entire dataset seems to be around 3-5dBm lower when things are going wrong. I've attached a separate comparison of Stuart's line - one from "before" (midnight on the 24th May), and one from "during" (11am on the 24th May). There are noticeable effects on U2 too.

Unfortunately, I couldn't say what these symptoms mean.

Strange that now practically any phone use drops sync and this only started this week, although the phone has dropped SNRM for awhile now but no way as badly as it is now.

IIRC, SNRM reductions when calls are in progress or when ringing are an indication of an HR joint somewhere - corrosion setting in perhaps.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2016, 09:53:08 AM »

My line once again was not bad overnight but right now my upstream U1 snrm has dropped to zero once again and the sync rate is 1836kbps on a 20mbps line! I'll try to call the TT network team again this morning, I did manage to get it to say there was a fault last night but there was a 20 minute wait to speak with anyone, so gave up and will try again this morning.

Stuart

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2016, 11:50:49 AM »

Well my line has been tested by TT's network team and an engineer has been booked currently for Tuesday 31st but that may change if they find an earlier appointment.

My U/S is rubbish now down to 371kbps and D/S at just over 40000kbps on an 80/20 service  >:(

Really strange that it seems to clear up overnight which it seems to do most days. Maybe whatever is causing it is temperature sensitive.

Stuart

Edit: Recently had 3 cold calls from some idiot and now I have only U0 band with non-zero snrm, U1 and U2 both gone awol!

[Moderator edited to change the second occurrence of U/S to D/S.]
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 03:49:55 PM by burakkucat »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2016, 02:13:49 PM »

fingers crossed fault is found and fixed for you.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2016, 06:17:21 PM »

Using the landline forced a re-sync again and all three U/S SNRMs came back again so hopefully it will behave again tonight. :fingers:

Stuart

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
    • Newton Poppleford Weather
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2016, 11:29:12 PM »

Been watching this thread for a while! Sounds messy! Hope your line is fixed soon!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18