Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Large increase in CRC/ES today  (Read 2191 times)

MikeZ

Large increase in CRC/ES today
« on: May 23, 2016, 05:34:03 PM »

Very large increase in CRC errors and ES today - enough for DLM to intervene tonight, unfortunately, and move me to interleaved. Does this look familiar to any interpretation experts - e.g. fault or just something noisy in the neighbourhood? I'm MikeZ on MDWS.

AAISP have done diagnostic tests but they indicated that everything was 'normal'. Unfortunately, the previous 15 minutes only had 10 ES when they did the test.

Thanks,

Mike

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Large increase in CRC/ES today
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 05:59:53 PM »

I've had a quick look and nothing really "stands out", to me. But I am not an expert in reading and interpreting VDSL2 circuit statistics. Perhaps WWWombat or A.N.Other will be able to comment?

It appears that your circuit experienced 5 SESs between 0400 - 0600 hours this morning and a further 1 SES between 1400 - 1500 hours this afternoon, all in the DS direction.  :o

Whatever the cause, it has had a significant effect to put your circuit into the "red zone" for the DS direction.  :(
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 06:09:58 PM »

Any T/storm activity even strikes 1 -50 miles away will show up as CRC's spikes

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=radar;sess=

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 06:32:39 PM »

The CRC rate has increased heavily - with an ongoing presence since 6am, and a few spikes before that.

I can't see a change in the SNRM graphs that suggest extra noise, nor any changes in the SNR/tone graphs.

Any T/storm activity even strikes 1 -50 miles away will show up as CRC's spikes

If it is thunderstorms, then all the local lines will be seeing it, so it should get ignored as a "wide area event".

MikeZ

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 06:52:04 PM »

Thank you all for your replies. There is certainly some distant rumbling at the moment and the Netweather lightning data shows some strikes nearby (Northampton). However, I don't remember there being any earlier this morning when the ES rate peaked.

It's annoying because my DS ES rate has been lower since G.INP was removed than it was prior to G.INP, and today looks like I'm going to be stuck interleaved again, but we'll see what happens...

MikeZ

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 07:10:59 AM »

Interleaved as of 07:00. Roll on the return of G.INP...

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 08:24:50 AM »

4 months, summarised well...

Whatever happened yesterday seemed to be restricted to the 6am - 6pm slot, except for one spike in CRCs at 5am this morning. I guess we just have to see if there is an increase today - though now we'll have to watch the FEC graph.

MikeZ

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 08:41:27 AM »

Thanks for that - the CRC spike around 5am could well be the heating coming on as Tuesdays are an early start :)

What I didn't mention was that whatever happened yesterday also caused sporadic packet loss throughout the day (until late afternoon). I'll have to keep an eye on that as my landline is a VoIP number - packet loss and VoIP don't play well together.

MikeZ

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2016, 11:56:26 AM »

Back to fastpath this morning. DLM resyncs always used to be around 6am but they seem to happen at all times of the day now...

anything