Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: magenta code look up fttp  (Read 4950 times)

forceware

magenta code look up fttp
« on: May 21, 2016, 09:00:34 PM »

im not sure this is the correct part of the forum to post this so please move if not.
When i put my phone number into the magenta code look up it tells me my cabinet is enabled for fttp. none of the other cabinets coming of my exchange are and the bt wholesale adsl checker doesn't say its available to me. is this just a mistake or is there another reason for this?

forceware

Re: magenta code look up fttp
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 11:00:08 AM »

If it helps explain, the look up number is 0158076.  The cab number is 8

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 11:25:40 AM »

Cabinet 8 is live with FTTC and is located here https://goo.gl/maps/HshEgMEgNsR2

Putting TN30 7LP into the BT Wholesale checker (full address not postcode only) returns a list of properties, selecting any of them gives full FTTC as being available except for two properties which return "Your address has been successfully matched; however we cannot determine ADSL availability at this address. Please try the Telephone Number or Postcode Checker."

How far are you from cab 8?
How long have you had the number at the current address and is it a BT number not LLU?
Have you tried just your postcode in the full address checker and then selected your address from the list?

If you are on cab 8 and not out of range it could be a database error and you will need to convince your ISP to chase up BT to get it sorted.

Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

forceware

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 01:09:02 PM »

thanks for your reply Ronski.
im 1.6km from the cab. im currently on fttc with bt. the number has been at the address for more than 50 years. ive tried the address checker and still no mention of fttp only fttc. the only place it mentions fttp is on magenta.it says it was enabled on my cab 6th march 2015.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 03:16:56 PM »

I suspect it's just an error then, it's very rare that an FTTC enabled cabinet would also have FTTP, IIRC some BDUK cabinets have a mix to reach targets.

forceware

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2016, 04:58:45 PM »

i feel you are correct, i just got over excited when i found it, its also strange that mine is the only cabinet enabled out of the 14 coming off the exchange.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2016, 06:23:25 PM »

Lots of area's were originally planned for FTTP, but when the construction time and costs started rising they switched most of these areas to FTTC, perhaps yours just hasn't been updated on Magenta. I did have a look in a leaked 2011 spreadsheet but your exchange is not listed in it.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2016, 11:07:06 PM »

It's probably related to the issue raised in here

The version of the broadband dataset used by Codelook seems to have errors in it.