Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Experience  (Read 4088 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Experience
« on: May 20, 2016, 08:45:27 PM »

A ship engine failed and no one could fix it.
Then they brought in a chap with 40 yrs. on the job.

He inspected the engine very carefully, top to bottom.  After looking things over, the guy reached into his bag and pulled out a small hammer.  He gently tapped something. Instantly, the engine lurched into life.  The engine was fixed!

7 Days later the owners got his bill for 10k.

'What?!' the owners said ......  'You hardly did anything, send us an itemized bill'.

The reply simply said ....  'Tapping with a hammer' = $2. 'Knowing where to tap' =  $9,998

Don't ever underestimate experience.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Experience
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 09:54:19 PM »

Very true.   And close to the knuckle...  A few weeks ago, I found a small but very noticeable dent in my car door, clearly caused by careless, if not malicious, opening of somebody else's door in a car park.   It annoyed me such much I decided to get it fixed and had it done by a 'paintless dent removal' process, whereby it is tapped out from the other side.

It was incredibly successful, the dent has vanished, with no disruption to the paint finish.  But I know for sure, if I'd tried to do it DIY, it would have ended badly.   Knowing where to tap is indeed a skill worth paying for. :D

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 10:18:28 PM »

Ha ha ................. funnily enough, we bought a brand new motor last year and within days a similar thing happened.
We employed the expertise of a local 'Dent remover' and he used little more than a suction pad to pop the dent out ....... he also had to colour-match the teeny-weeny bit of paint that had been removed.

All in all, we paid £60 for about an hours work, but by god, you can't tell there was ever anything wrong. Great job.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 02:15:57 PM »

True.  Knowing where to tap is an often underestimated skill.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker