Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: normal/acceptable for IP profile to be reduced by 20Mbps?  (Read 2587 times)

uwe_handshoe

normal/acceptable for IP profile to be reduced by 20Mbps?
« on: May 19, 2016, 12:45:54 PM »

Hello folks,
I'm on BT Infinity 2 and over the past week the line became very unstable for some reason,disconnecting many times during the course of a day.
Now the disconections are occuring far less,but the IP profile of my line has falled from around 66Mbps to 45.4 Mbps.
Upload speed has fallen from 17Mbps to 10Mbps.

Here's my current Home Hub 5B router stats:
3.   Firmware version:   v0.07.05.0A13-BT (Type B) Last updated 12/12/2015
4.   Board version:   01
5.   VDSL uptime:   0 days, 12:57:04
6.   Data Rate:   13589 / 48997
7.   Maximum Data Rate:   15466 / 73322
8.   Noise Margin:   8.3 / 12.8
9.   Line Attenuation:   23.1 / 17.6
10.   Signal Attenuation:   0.0 / 0.0

BT Wholesale speedtest results

Download speedachieved during the test was - 44.32 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 40 Mbps-45.4 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 45.4 Mbps

I've done various checks on my end,plugged into test socket,changed cables,filter,etc
The noise margin stats are terribly erractic,whereas before they were stable 6.3/6.6.

I'm wondering if this is within normal/acceptable range for BT,as I'm planning to phone them later and don't wish to get fobbed off by them.  :-\           Thanks!

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
Re: normal/acceptable for IP profile to be reduced by 20Mbps?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 12:59:46 PM »

6.   Data Rate:   13589 / 48997
7.   Maximum Data Rate:   15466 / 73322
8.   Noise Margin:   8.3 / 12.8

The above are the most important figures.

6 is showing the speeds your line is currently connecting at (49mb/13.5mb)
7 is showing the maximum speed your modem estimates the line is capable of
8 shows the noise margin on your line.

Usually, the noise margin is around 6 on a stable line.

Your disconnections have caused Openreach's DLM system to increase your noise margin in order to stop the disconnections /stabilize the line. A higher noise margin = a lower connection rate.

Have you fixed your line disconnections? Do you know caused them? That should be your priority - otherwise this issue will reoccur. If it's a voice fault hat needs to be fixed first as that will affect your broadband connection.

uwe_handshoe

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 01:19:15 PM »

I've no idea what caused the line to disconnect/connection to drop,although I suspect some noise on the line is to blame.

I've done a quiet line test,but not sure how quiet it's supposed to be,not exactly silent,I can hear a faint hum using a corded phone.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 02:15:01 PM »

I understand that you shouldn't hear any noise on the Quiet Line test - especially if you are using a corded connection/the test socket.

It might be with going to www.bt.com/fix - carrying out a voice line test and reporting intermittent line noise (so if an engineer comes and doesn't find it, it's not the end of the world)

Once any voice fault has been fixed, then you can tell BT that your speeds went down due to Aline fault, it's now been fixed and you want an broadband engineer to carry out a DLM reset.

The alternative would to see if BT would book a broadband boost engineer who I think can look at both voice and broadband issues together.

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 06:28:17 PM »

If you're getting mains hum (at any volume level) , see if the weather plays any part in it.
My own line had some hum years ago, every time it rained it got worse, Btor found outer sheath had become worn due to flapping against the house.
Once it was fixed problem went away and speed went back to normal.
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 07:01:03 PM »

I understand that you shouldn't hear any noise on the Quiet Line test - especially if you are using a corded connection/the test socket.

It might be with going to www.bt.com/fix - carrying out a voice line test and reporting intermittent line noise (so if an engineer comes and doesn't find it, it's not the end of the world)

Once any voice fault has been fixed, then you can tell BT that your speeds went down due to Aline fault, it's now been fixed and you want an broadband engineer to carry out a DLM reset.

The alternative would to see if BT would book a broadband boost engineer who I think can look at both voice and broadband issues together.

For info purposes .......... A 'Broadband Boost' engineering visit, only differs from a bog-standard 'Broadband SFI' engineering visit by virtue of the fact they can swop out modems, routers, hubs on the 'Boost' task. Apart from that, on either task the engineer will only work on the BB fault reported ...... not the 'Voice' side.  :)

uwe_handshoe

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 12:11:29 AM »

Thanks for your suggestions everyone.

During the quiet line test I also heard what sounded like some chirps from a modem,possibly my own HH5B with was reconnecting at the time.

I'm doing my best to eliminate possible causes on my end and present a strong case, so to speak.
Let's just say when I had a similar problem many years ago, I spent weeks on the phone  ;D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 12:19:33 AM »

During the quiet line test I also heard what sounded like some chirps from a modem,possibly my own HH5B with was reconnecting at the time.

I would suggest that you repeat the test using a different micro-filter . . . If you have more than two micro-filters, then test with them all.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 07:19:56 AM »

'Chirps' to any OR engineer, is the term used to describe the audible alert given when working on a Redcare (Alarm monitoring) circuit.

anything