Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: I seem to have Vectoring active on an Huawei  (Read 30513 times)

niemand

• Kitizen
Re: I seem to have Vectoring active on an Huawei
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2016, 07:35:52 PM »

'Most'.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2016, 01:17:31 PM »

I think it is fair to say that BT were fully behind vectoring. Right up until the point that it totally disappeared off the radar. Not coincidentally, BT announced their G.Fast plans at the same time.

It was a technology that was considered worth introducing, in the strategy that BT were following at the time. The changes were even being introduced in the back-office systems; this was no mere decision that vectoring was not worthwhile.

It has suffered from a change in strategy. Someone in BT has put together a G.Fast strategy that has become compelling to the men with the money, and as a side-effect has jettisoned vectoring. Perhaps the G.Fast strategy needed the money being allocated to vectoring. Perhaps the G.Fast strategy needed the boost in take-up that would come from NGA users on lower, crosstalk-induced speeds. Perhaps the G.Fast strategy needs space in the existing DSLAMs that prevents vectoring-capable cards being added. Who knows?

Whatever the reason, it is fair to say that the strategy shift has won out over the possible gains from vectoring, save some limited cases that are beneficial to BT rather than end users.

I don't see much point in harking after it.

Terranova667

« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2016, 12:31:51 AM »

All i will say is i have gone from a Sync of 65Mb down to 46Mb the majority of which is down to crosstalk, Now I don't care what is used be it Vectoring, Gfast or pixie frigging dust but it would be rather nice if i Could get the speed I once had back after all i'm still paying the same price for 20Mb less is it really asking that much, i'm sure if you asked everyone that has lost speed due to crosstalk if they wanted it back to where they were they would say yes.   

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2016, 12:35:45 AM »

Openreach SNR 3dB profile on FTTC is more than welcome for a very long distance from the street cabinet. But, as for vectoring, not sure about this roll out as BT are pushes for g.fast rolled out next summer in 2017.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2016, 09:49:45 PM »

To me it's very annoying to see money being put into this project with testing an so on and then put in the bin because something better is on the horizon this G.FAST thingy which won't help anyone on a long line.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2016, 10:48:27 PM »

I doubt the amount of money spent testing/introducing this has been that large.

Openreach (and other firms) have a long history of testing technologies which they don't introduce for various reasons. For instance, on ADSL, Openreach never introduced SRA or g.inp despite testing them both.

As WWWombat suggests it's obvious that g.fast has already far exceeded what was originally thought possible and will continue to improve causing a rethink about a number of issues - such as the size and speed of a FTTP rollout and the introduction of profile 30a - not just vectoring..

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2016, 11:12:54 PM »

That sounds fine yet G.Fast is of no use to users on longer lines 700 meters + so to me G.FAST is just directed for short lines IE citys large towns & highly populated suburban areas and we are left with this old 40 Mbps VDSL2 tech, they should be rolling out the all in one cabinets no less than 300 meters from any household

And then rollout G.FAST  :)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2016, 11:19:24 PM »

I doubt the amount of money spent testing/introducing this has been that large.

Openreach (and other firms) have a long history of testing technologies which they don't introduce for various reasons. For instance, on ADSL, Openreach never introduced SRA or g.inp despite testing them both.

As WWWombat suggests it's obvious that g.fast has already far exceeded what was originally thought possible and will continue to improve causing a rethink about a number of issues - such as the size and speed of a FTTP rollout and the introduction of profile 30a - not just vectoring..

again its all down to what helps marketing.  Something me and ignition both are in agreement on.

Sadly vectoring wont push extra sales, g.fast might.  I would be surprised if the cost of vectoring is that big, but the problem is just because its not big it doesnt mean it doesnt need approval.  Every investment expense has to be approved by the people with the purse strings.

g.fast will have also killed any possible profile 30a I think, they want the performance gap between vdsl and g.fast as big as possible, profile30 would reduce it.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2016, 12:29:58 AM »

yet G.Fast is of no use to users on longer lines 700 meters +

You're assuming too much for something already touted to be a decade-long rollout.

BT know that, if g.fast is going to be truly at the core of their network ambitions, then they need to put nodes further out in the network. They openly say this themselves.

Who knows when it will happen? Day 1? Phase 1? Or Phase 27 some 4 years down the line? But it will be happening.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2016, 12:35:09 AM »

g.fast will have also killed any possible profile 30a I think, they want the performance gap between vdsl and g.fast as big as possible, profile30 would reduce it.

If an advance were going to be selected today, you'd choose profile 35b instead, retaining more compatibility with 17a.

However, migration options afterwards would be limited. Choose 35b, and the next step is FTTP. Choose g.fast instead, and the next option becomes the next varieties of g.fast before FTTP. But 35b pretty much precludes g.fast as an option.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2016, 07:56:39 PM »

You're assuming too much for something already touted to be a decade-long rollout.

10 years seem a long time to wait yes it's supposed to start in the summer of 2017 i'll be an old man in his sixty's by the time it gets to this line or the grim reaper engineer will have made a end-users premises visit  :ouch:

We just wanna see VDSL2 SNRm 3dB profile and Vectoring soon as OR are so slow in development & deployment by the time it's rolled out it has become old technology  :( 
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 08:03:47 PM by NewtronStar »

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2016, 09:21:04 PM »

10 years seem a long time to wait

Yup. Some lucky blighters will be at the right end of the decade, some at the wrong end. I seem to have been at both ends in different rollouts (very early in ADSL, very late in ADSL2+)

On the other hand, my last house was one of those places built just after VM (NTL at the time) stopped bothering to build their network. Over 20 years on, and it remains a pocket of unserved properties surrounded by cable coverage. The rollout lottery isn't just a feature of BT!

I just calculated, and figured I was on ADSL for 6 years, ADSLmax for 5 years, and have been on FTTC for 5 years. I suspect I won't be too worried if I continue on FTTC for another 5 years - I'm sure the speed will be enough.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2016, 09:56:31 PM »

I just calculated, and figured I was on ADSL for 6 years, ADSLmax for 5 years, and have been on FTTC for 5 years. I suspect I won't be too worried if I continue on FTTC for another 5 years - I'm sure the speed will be enough.

I was on the up to 256 Kbps 2005 then 512 Kbps 2006 and then ADSL 4Mbps 2007 and now 35Mbps with VDSL2 2012 so by 2027 i'll should be getting 304 Mbps  :)

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2016, 10:20:46 PM »

We just wanna see VDSL2 SNRm 3dB profile and Vectoring soon as OR are so slow in development & deployment by the time it's rolled out it has become old technology  :(

Openreach just can't win. Either they take the time to test things and are told they are slow at rolling things out or As with the ECI g.inp upgrade are blamed for not testing things enough.

As it is, with g.fast I understand BT are ahead of the curve with their deployment plans and given  the rate the technology is progressing, those who are slightly later in the rollout will benefit from much better/mature kit.

On the other hand, my last house was one of those places built just after VM (NTL at the time) stopped bothering to build their network. Over 20 years on, and it remains a pocket of unserved properties surrounded by cable coverage. The rollout lottery isn't just a feature of BT!

Yes,  we are in one of these areas. Videotron, as was, covered about 10% of the properties on our street and the rest have never been done. They don't even have the excuse if it being a new build area..

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2016, 10:58:24 PM »

As it is, with g.fast I understand BT are ahead of the curve with their deployment plans and given  the rate the technology is progressing, those who are slightly later in the rollout will benefit from much better/mature kit.

But are the end-users modems ready for the G.Fast deployment I know my Broadband kit is not G.Fast compatible and here we go again

Just a cut&paste

In the home environment the main approach will function in a not dissimilar way to the current VDSL based FTTC service, which means that you will need to plug your phone cable into a special G.fast equipped modem or a combined modem + router device (ignore the bottom end-user ONT in the diagram below as that’s more for the FOD2/FTTP part of BT’s trial).
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 11:15:05 PM by NewtronStar »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8