Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: SSE - 76MB fibre + line rental + calls = £21/month (less with cashback)  (Read 14944 times)

gt94sss2

• Kitizen

SSE are offering the following for £21/month (https://www.sse.co.uk/home)

FREE SSE Ultrafast Fibre Broadband with our Talk Anytime package

FREE unlimited fibre broadband for 18 months with our Talk Anytime package
Truly unlimited downloads – stream and download as much as you like
Download speeds of up to 76 Mbps – see 'Your broadband speed is' section for details
No connection charges
An easy to set-up wireless router with no delivery charge
Includes local and national calls at any time as well as calls to 20 international countries – see Important Information for full package details

An 18-month subscription to our Internet Security Suite to help you stay safe online
Access to exclusive presale tickets for some of the UK's biggest entertainment and sport events with SSE Reward

FULL-PRICE MONTHLY COST BREAKDOWN:
Incl. VAT at 20%. 18   month contract (Talk), 18 month contract (Broadband)
£5.00  call bundle, £25.00  broadband and £16.00  line rental per month. It's an 18-month fixed term contract for both the broadband and phone services. Paper bills will cost £1 per month extra. Some call features will also come at an additional cost – please read Talk Contract 15: Products and prices from 17 September 2015.

You can also get about another £130 off via cashback sites like topcashback and quidco.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 11:02:20 AM by gt94sss2 »

phi2008

• Reg Member

I'm waiting for customer reviews before deciding whether to give them consideration.

Oldjim

• Reg Member
Jim
Plusnet

roswellgrey

I am migrating to them next week ... I couldn't resist the price saving compared to what I am paying now, and must admit I am curious as to the service performance at that price point ... will let you know how it goes :)
Billion 8800NL

jamespeters

• Just arrived

I've recently signed up to SSE and have an activation date of 8th June. I'm moving from BT to SSE's Ultrafast package (£21/month).

I've just set up a forum/website where I am going to post information that would be useful to others - such as speed test results, scans of any paperwork etc in the hope that we can set up a community of SSE Broadband users - as they don't have an official forum of their own.

The address is http://www.discussisp.com

I'm hoping this will be useful to allow fellow members to share speeds, any issues and we can help each other should any problems arise. If anyone has any suggestions or can help I would appreciate it. Collating information in one place I believe is key.

Any questions please feel free to contact me.

phi2008

• Reg Member

Sounds excellent James, many people are going to be taking a look at them and they are still a bit of an unknown quantity for most of us.  :)

jamespeters

• Just arrived

Thanks - I hope it is useful to many people either already signed up to SSE or thinking of joining.

jamespeters

• Just arrived

Just to update everyone.

I was connected to SSE Ultrafast FTTC service yesterday and I've been doing speed tests since I was connected throughout the day, and also this morning and just now (using four different speed test sites).

Looking good here:  http://www.discussisp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=47

Oldjim

• Reg Member

BT Wholesale results can't be viewed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TBB results look horrible
Jim
Plusnet

jamespeters

• Just arrived

I think you need to login to view the BT Wholesale results - but they are good.

It only seems to be the Think Broadband ones that I have had any problems with - One of them was showing downloads of over 100Mbps (which is impossible for the connection), but the upload was 0Mbps ! - Something seriously wrong there.

Manual downloads of files looking good.

plexy

• Reg Member
Re: SSE - 76MB fibre + line rental + calls = £21/month (less with cashback)
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2016, 05:12:25 PM »

Been mostly solid here for me since I had it installed. There was a blip around sync speed being lower than before the migration from BT, but its fine now G.INP kicked in.

Speed tests seem nearly always to line speed (minus overhead) on HTTP+HTTP/s and VPN. There can be slight throttling during peak times. Ive tested to both servers based inside of Daisy and external and it seems fine. SSH sessions are as responsive as i would expect. I dont torrent and rarely play games any more so cant comment about that.

ICMP ping is very stable at 13-14, with a lot less jitter then i got from BT (or plusnet before them). With BT my ping was 18-21 and with plusnet it was 9 to 15 - but the two moved around with more jitter. Less jitter on SSE/Daisy.

The only pause for concern was yesterday around 15:00-16:00 when my max speed peaked out at 24mbps - it felt like someone playing with packet scheduling as the time it took for TCP to start ramping up to full speed was much longer than anticipated. All fine again today so hopefully someone just put a bad change in and rolled it back.
--
SSE 80/20
Sky 40/10
Zen 80/20
Bonded: 200/50 (in progress)

Hardware:Hg612/HH5/Tg589vac/Linux SBC router

plexy

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2016, 08:26:18 PM »

Hmm back to 24mbps again as of 10 mins ago. Congestion control.
--
SSE 80/20
Sky 40/10
Zen 80/20
Bonded: 200/50 (in progress)

Hardware:Hg612/HH5/Tg589vac/Linux SBC router

roswellgrey

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2016, 08:11:17 AM »

not surprised tbh ... started to drop here @ around 2000 and recovered @ around 2300  - times vary daily, but the drop is very consistant ...
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 12:28:49 PM by roswellgrey »
Billion 8800NL

anything