Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: From OR CEO  (Read 4777 times)

KIAB

• Reg Member
Re: From OR CEO
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2016, 09:54:41 AM »

Thanks BS.

It's a step in the right direction.

Just need to make a few more steps, like replacing the alumimum cable,which would benefit fit a lot of peeps,& reduce faults & simple network rearrangments easier, like mine.
Took OR engineer two days to correct my fault, which could have been solved on day one, if he had been allowed to replace a length of alumimum cable then, & not on the second day after some discussions high up.
Had six previous engineers all report  section of alumimum cable needed replacing, they need to stop the interference from peeps in their offices & let the OR engineer decided the course of action to a degree for repairs.

Would get the full 80Mb now, if they replaced & rerouted the underground cable here to closer pole or a new cabinet, instead of it doubling back on it's self.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 10:20:40 AM by KIAB »

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2016, 11:07:59 AM »

Hmmm to answer your question honestly, I do actually believe the people at the very top tiers of management are completely behind what they say. I sadly also believe that the way we are 'managed' at the lower tiers is disastrous .... IMHO.

Indeed. It is the disconnect between the two that I was trying to explore.

I don't think we are going to ever get rid of the statistics. At one level, it does tell the business a lot of information about how effective the workforce are being /collectively/ following current practices. That helps quantify the practices ... and lets you improve them in the future.

However, those same statistics don't help you measure performance of one individual well.

Changing the disconnect really requires the senior managers to let the engineers loose, and to get the junior managers to both accept and understand this, and figure out how to "manage" their staff in an environment where (shock) they have to rely on the staff to make sound decisions, that aren't measured well.

As I read the statement above, I see statements on service with a glimmer of hope - that they (the senior bods) see the engineer priority shifting from a "stick to time, stick to stats" mantra, to a "solve the problem" mantra.

But that statement is for semi-public consumption. What matters is whether the priority actually filters through the automatic systems that allocate your work, and filters through the attitudes of the junior managers.

I agree it looks like their heart is in the right place. Let's see if the actions follow...

KIAB

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2016, 01:14:50 PM »

Indeed. It is the disconnect between the two that I was trying to explore.

I don't think we are going to ever get rid of the statistics. At one level, it does tell the business a lot of information about how effective the workforce are being /collectively/ following current practices. That helps quantify the practices ... and lets you improve them in the future.

However, those same statistics don't help you measure performance of one individual well.

Changing the disconnect really requires the senior managers to let the engineers loose, and to get the junior managers to both accept and understand this, and figure out how to "manage" their staff in an environment where (shock) they have to rely on the staff to make sound decisions, that aren't measured well.

As I read the statement above, I see statements on service with a glimmer of hope - that they (the senior bods) see the engineer priority shifting from a "stick to time, stick to stats" mantra, to a "solve the problem" mantra.

But that statement is for semi-public consumption. What matters is whether the priority actually filters through the automatic systems that allocate your work, and filters through the attitudes of the junior managers.

I agree it looks like their heart is in the right place. Let's see if the actions follow...

:yay: :thumbs: :yay:

Let the engineers loose, :silly: great idea, we will see...

Want to start kicking out senior & junior managers from their cosy offices & stick them with an OR engineer one or two days a month, they could then see first hand the problems the engineers have to deal with & state of the network... :idea:
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 02:41:57 PM by KIAB »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2016, 01:27:15 PM »

What those guys ^^^^^^ say !!!  :yay: :yay:
Pages: 1 [2]