Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Availability checker updated  (Read 6399 times)

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
Availability checker updated
« on: May 15, 2016, 01:36:01 AM »

For those interested, https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ has had the way it displays the results of a search updated to prepare for the rollout of both g.fast and SOGEA

Dave2150

• Reg Member
Re: Availability checker updated
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 03:00:47 AM »

Nice find :)

I wonder what 'left in jumper' means? I can't think of anything that BT would allow the public to have access to.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 07:20:48 AM »

I wonder what this means:

There is currently a Broadband cease pending or in progress against this line. This cease is due to complete by 24th May 2016. This will not stop you ordering Broadband from a new supplier, but it will delay the provision of the new Broadband service.

That date is very specific. I'd better check it out, just in case.
  Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 07:48:01 AM »

Sorry that I've rather hijacked this thread, but I'd better post the conclusion (from PlusNet live chat):

There is a cease and reprovide booked for 24/05/16. This is to get your connection moved on to newer technology at the exchange and has been instigated by Openreach. You shouldn't suffer any loss of service
  Eric

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 09:18:07 AM »

I wonder what 'left in jumper' means?

That has been there for a while it has moved from the text below the main table to the main table; it means that jumpers in the PCP are in place (ie left in).
This caused problems for a friend who recently moved into a house where the previous occupier had FTTC and she only wanted ADSL, the ISP (SKY) had to send out a technician to remove said jumpers.

newer technology at the exchange

@roseway, I presume you are on FTTC (to a large headend exchange) and your local exchange is a small ADSL (no ADSL2+) until the 24 th when you are upgraded.

Ian

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 09:40:34 AM »

Nice Find.   

I don't have a G.Fast Column although I do have a column for SOGEA (Single Order Generic Ethernet Access) [Broadband, no voice service].

"Left in Jumper" is ADSL jumpers on the MDF in the exchange to the MSAN.
When you move to FTTC these jumpers are quite often left in place. 

@kitzuser - the jumpers may have been to another LLU ISP's MSAN, or even a BT 21CN MSAN, so they needed moving over to Skys LLU MSAN.
I had a 'left in jumper' show up on the checker on my line for quite a while after I moved to FTTC which will have been to BE's MSAN.   
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2016, 09:49:16 AM »

That has been there for a while it has moved from the text below the main table to the main table; it means that jumpers in the PCP are in place (ie left in).
This caused problems for a friend who recently moved into a house where the previous occupier had FTTC and she only wanted ADSL, the ISP (SKY) had to send out a technician to remove said jumpers.

@roseway, I presume you are on FTTC (to a large headend exchange) and your local exchange is a small ADSL (no ADSL2+) until the 24 th when you are upgraded.

Ian

As Kitz herself points out above, LIJ's are the 'Jumpers' left in place on the MDF in the telephone exchange, not in the PCP (Cab).

You are absolutely correct that VDSL LIJ's in the PCP will halt provision of ADSL until removed, but 'we' (Openreach) have no means of knowing if these particular 'Jumpers' are actually still in place, when an order is placed. In an ideal world they should have been removed when the VDSL service was ceased, but such a world does not exist.  ;)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2016, 09:50:24 AM »

@roseway, if I'd been up earlier I would have told you that its most likely you are being moved over to Plusnets new network.

Migration to WBMC Dedicated involves a cease of WBMC shared product and re-provide on to their new platform.

Plusnet will sometimes do bulk requests which is why there may not be anything specific about it that the live support agent could see.
When they first started moving people across, it triggered automated re-provide emails to be sent out to the EU, which obviously alarmed some people, so they have now stopped that.

Mine was done a couple of months ago.  Down time was about 5 mins just shortly after midnight.
If you have a dynamic IP, you will likely find it will become a bit more sticky or you will pick up an IP in a very similar range.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2016, 10:10:20 AM »

Thanks for that confirmation. I wondered if that might be the case, but it was the "instigated by Openreach" comment which confused me.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2016, 10:30:23 AM »

I must admit it did throw me too a bit when I saw that...  but thinking about it you will already be on 21CN via the head-end and therefore not affected by anything local which could trigger anything (21CN upgrades or MSE bRAS upgrades dont trigger a cease/reprovide) - it has to be some sort of change to the product service that does this.

Probably if the person you spoke to dug deeper or referred it up to someone else they could probably tell you for sure, but knowing that Plusnet are doing bulk migrations to dedicated it seems by far the most obvious explanation.
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2016, 11:32:42 AM »

Yes, I'm happy with that.
  Eric

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2016, 11:39:09 AM »

My evening will be spent pretending I live in Huntingdon and studying the trial map.

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2016, 04:01:16 PM »

What is so special about Huntingdon to BT, why don't they do trials in different areas instead of rinse and repeat in same areas ?
RE this new format, interestingly if i input my phone number  is shows FTTC as available but if i input my address and post code instead it says my PCP was a waiters list for FTTC services  Is my cab full?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2016, 04:20:31 PM »

The test nodes are specifically chosen by our experts for any number of reasons ........ congestion, average distance from Cab to EU, mainly Ali or Copper cables, large amount of radio transmitters, etc etc etc .................

They don't just throw a load of chicken bones on the table and see what it tells them.  :)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 04:23:56 PM by Black Sheep »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2016, 04:32:45 PM »

. . . if i input my phone number  is shows FTTC as available but if i input my address and post code instead it says my PCP was a waiters list for FTTC services  Is my cab full?

My understanding is that the above results do, indeed, show that the current capacity limit of VDSL2 circuits from the DSLAM in the fibre cabinet has been reached. That limit might be due to --
  • all ports of the currently installed line cards in the DSLAM are occupied
  • all pairs in the tie cables between the PCP and the fibre cabinet are in use
  • all line card slots in the DSLAM are populated
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: [1] 2

anything