Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: BT Infinity - offers for existing customers.  (Read 35684 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: BT Infinity - offers for existing customers.
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2018, 11:12:45 AM »

On reflection I could have worded it better.

Yes I was looking around as Vodafone had a really good deal on for their existing mobile customers.   I also looked at Origin who seemed OK who use Vodafone wholesale for backhaul.     But that was at the time when I found out VF were on a strict no for using any modem other than their own.   There were also a couple of other considerations such as static IP and the fact they use Openreach Standard DLM profile rather than Speed.   

With my connection being like it is, then I would end up being permanently being interleaved which was a major factor to consider.   On the Speed profile its giving me an additional ~4.5Mbps and better latency.   So bearing in mind there's only a few ISPs that use Speed, that basically limited me to AAISP, Zen, PN, ID-net or possibly BT.  So as I was looking based on cost, VFM and services it shortlisted it to PN.   So next step renegotiate contract with PN who price matched.

I hate how you have to price match each year these days and wish the ISP industry would stop this 'new customers only' malarkey which we can thank OFCOM for  >:(  At least PN usually will negotiate - but you shouldn't have to. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2018, 02:11:40 PM »

Ideal isp would be.

IPoE based, seems only TT retail and sky offer this in UK on FTTC
Native IPv6, IPv4 dual stacked.
Dont forbid own equipment.
Proper tech support with lots of tech info provided e.g. like AAISP with their profile reports and ping graphs.
Choice of backhaul AAISP can choose TTB or BTw
Monthly and 6 month contracts, again only AAISP
No jumping through hoops to report a fault.
Speed profile on DLM, maybe even allow end user to choose other profiles for preference.
Ability to use openreach's new DLM reset process.

sotonsam

• Reg Member
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2018, 10:04:15 PM »

Ideal isp would be.

IPoE based, seems only TT retail and sky offer this in UK on FTTC
Native IPv6, IPv4 dual stacked.
Dont forbid own equipment.
Proper tech support with lots of tech info provided e.g. like AAISP with their profile reports and ping graphs.
Choice of backhaul AAISP can choose TTB or BTw
Monthly and 6 month contracts, again only AAISP
No jumping through hoops to report a fault.
Speed profile on DLM, maybe even allow end user to choose other profiles for preference.
Ability to use openreach's new DLM reset process.

Pretty much agree with that list - would add 'Unlimited Usage' to it as well. I love AAISP, but the quota is proving a little difficult for me thus far. For the first time in years I'm having to watch what I do online..!
Vodafone FTTC 80/20. ECI Cab.

FTTP via Toob. 900/900.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2018, 11:51:22 PM »

Unfortunately there isn't a single ISP that matches that list.

IPoE limits you to Sky and Talktalk retail.
Both use the OpenReach Standard DLM profile.
All TTB backhaul via other ISP's is PPP.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2018, 12:40:15 AM »

@Chrys Is that IPoE because of the overheads?

@Sotonsam what about 1TB ? Which tariff are you on?

I do not have a quota, I just use as much as I want. I am on the ‘units’ tariff, which is extremely expensive during the daytime weekdays.

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2018, 12:50:23 AM »

I do not have a quota, I just use as much as I want. I am on the ‘units’ tariff, which is extremely expensive during the daytime weekdays.

Isn't that pretty much the opposite of what you would want given your usage Weaver?  :)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2018, 01:56:00 AM »

I don’t really know. I do not want to pay n times the cost of one of the more recent deals for n lines. I do not want to lose the current 1TB overnight for £3.90 + VAT or whatever it is that I currently enjoy. I have tried to work it out but just got completely confused by the sales staff.

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2018, 02:51:03 AM »

Ah of course, I forgot about the cost of 3 lines. I doubt you have use for 3x even the lowest 200GB allowance, let alone the cost. Sounds like the units based thing probably works out best, especially if its so little for virtually unlimited overnight. Though if any ISP is able to give you a suitable bespoke package given your 3 lines and usage its AAISP.

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2018, 05:49:08 AM »

I have a single 200GB allowance shared between two lines (including the bonus quota). The quota system manages this perfectly so both lines balance out over the month. So no need for the full quota on each line. £10 for the additional broadband service with no additional quota.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 05:54:12 AM by vic0239 »
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2018, 06:27:49 AM »

Personally I dont consider AAISP's 1TB limit an issue, When I was younger I used to be a warez addict, and even in those days I never hit 1TB usage, but did have the means to at least hit that usage in those days, now days even if you watch netflix for long hours, on its max resolution surely you wouldnt even come close to it.  Some games are very big, e.g. when I downloaded GTA5 on my laptop for a second install it was 70gig, I had to map a network drive for it as the local storage in there is a 60 gig SSD.  Downloading such games 15 times a month? do people do that, maybe.  But peace of mind is a powerful thing so I can understand the want of unlimited usage.

If TTB was IPoE I probably would already be an AAISP customer.  I just hate PPPoE, since switching to sky cpu usage on my router is like 1/4 of what it was on PPPoE, and I have peace of mind over not having MTU related issues.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 06:29:59 AM by Chrysalis »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2018, 07:55:42 AM »

@Chrys I have PPPoE and full MTU 1508. I don't follow your thinking, but then I am not you.  ;D  I would have thought pretty much all of your wish list items could be ticked. If you could try it you might become addicted to all the techies’ shiny bits.

@vic0239 Thanks, sales did eventually mention some such thing. But it is annoying that they have not catered for multi-line users with their new colon colon deals in the past and still do not advertise things properly for multifolks nor give out proper information. If you talk to some salespeople then you get the feeling that they don't even know or info is inconsistent and getting numbers that are both consistent / definite and non-scary is more than difficult. So I have played it safe and just decided to leave well alone.

They are charging me either £32 or £24 per additional line, depending on whether or not that includes BT ‘premium’ (well, I think £32 does include premium).

ads

« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2018, 06:09:23 PM »

Haggled with BT, going to stay with them and will pay £15~ per month less than my current package whilst gaining a bit of mobile data and so on. Will be £5/month more than the current Plusnet offering but the PN price had no calling plan or BT Sport type junk that I'll occasionally use.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2018, 10:47:40 PM »

Due to the pending BT price rises, I've just also haggled with BT. Took a few phone calls over a period of days but managed to get £21.99/month for line rental  + Infinity 1 (but the lines have the free boost to up to 80MB they did last year) on two different lines.

Initially, they suggested paying the same as I was currently paying (i.e. no price rise), and then it went down to £23.99 but I held out for £21.99 by quoting the current TalkTalk 80MB offer of £20.84 (after cashback)
Pages: 1 2 [3]