Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: BT Infinity - offers for existing customers.  (Read 35682 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: BT Infinity - offers for existing customers.
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2018, 08:15:05 PM »

Is Plusnet any good these days?

Oh.  Hello!   Just seen this as I've been out most of the day with med appts (which by now you know from elsewhere)   Spotted the name and thought hmmm so checked the mail addy ;)

I suggest you check this thread out - here.

On a more serious note - yeah I still use them.   Support isn't what it was but my connection works without any slow-downs. I don't see any signs of congestion on their network and speeds are good.   Main bug bear is call waiting time on hold whilst trying to get through on the phone.    Is support any worse than any other the other mainstream providers?   I'll leave that to others to comment as I don't get into those convos. 

Price is OK, but you do have to ring up each year to renegotiate costs if you don't want to pay full price.   
I possibly could get cheaper (vodafone) but it has some restrictions which I would miss.    Glad I didn't move to vodafone as their network is having issues on their backhauls in some areas. 

You've personally known me well enough and for long enough to know I don't BS.   If youre happy with BT and your connection then stay.   If you are looking to swap for financial reasons then it may be worth shopping around.   

Can't recall now what your connection speed is, but from memory your line is stable.     Think the only problem about swapping to any providers these days is period of change when the Openreach DLM may temporarily affect your connection speed.   
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2018, 11:27:38 PM »

Welcome Ads!

ads

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2018, 12:38:27 AM »

Thanks for the reply Kitzy <3 and thanks for the welcome Weaver.

My BT contract ends beginning of August so I'll aggressively tackle their customer retention department in a couple of weeks and if they can't help me out sufficiently I'll hit that PN referral link and see what they can do. ;)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2018, 02:38:10 AM »

Be aware that PlusNet is part of BT anyway, and they have had some whinging customers I believe. All depends on whether you want a cheap ISP or a good one. If you wish, ask around here for recommendations for good ones and look at ispreview for real customer reviews.

ads

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2018, 04:10:07 AM »

I don't consider BT a good ISP, I've had plenty of issues with them. Their support is pathetic unless you shout super loud. I'm firmly convinced that Be were the last good ISP and that now we're stuck trying to find the best of a bad bunch.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2018, 05:47:15 AM »

There are some superb ISPs out there. If you liked Be then that tells me something. ISPReview is your friend or ask for recommendations here.

stevebrass

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2018, 09:24:06 AM »

The offers shown on MyBT are more often than not woeful. You have to bargain with the retentions team to get a decent deal.
Netgear Orbi; BT FTTP with Smart Hub 2

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2018, 07:37:55 PM »

@ ads

There are some superb ISPs out there. If you liked Be then that tells me something. ISPReview is your friend or ask for recommendations here.

When Weaver says superb, he tends to mean AAISP or Zen.    I think those are about the last 2 ISPs with a good reputation when it comes to CS. 

and look at ispreview for real customer reviews.

Don't forget we also have an ISP review section here.   

Which reminds me not done so myself in ages. :blush:   Just so you know, the last review is mine and honest as I don't have any speed or connectivity issues.  I thought about VFM for a while, but as there's only Vodafone that would be cheaper for me, I had to give 5* for VFM, because I'd find it hard to get stuff like static IP at that cost.   CS is the sticking point 3 stars, cause its now on a par with the other mainstream providers.

I'm firmly convinced that Be were the last good ISP

Yup sad day for me too when Sky took them over.     It just worked and I always found their CS to be excellent.   :(

I'll hit that PN referral link and see what they can do

Absolutely no worries.  TBH I don't like recommending in case it ever goes t1ts up for the other person and why I usually keep stum.   I'd much rather someone was happy and got honest advice rather than me get 50p :D   

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2018, 09:05:44 PM »

I've just been on the BT website. The new average speed rules certainly complicate things in my opinion.

It looks like BT have 4 FTTC products now.
Nowhere does it tell you what OpenReach product they provision you on, or what the maximum package speed is. I've had to look that up elsewhere.
They only give you the average speed.

Superfast Fibre Essential Unlimited
Average Speed 36Mb
40Mb/10Mb (new product?)

Superfast Fibre Unlimited
Average Speed 50Mb
55Mb/10Mb (old Infinity 1)

Superfast Fibre Unlimited 2
Average Speed 67Mb
80Mb/20Mb (old Infinity 2)

Superfast Fibre Plus
Average Speed 67Mb
80Mb/20Mb (new product with mobile data backup/double data for mobile customers).

They have a 40/10 product with a 30Gb monthly usage cap.

https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/broadband/deals/

Those with G.Fast pods or FTTP will also see UltraFast products. I'd be interested to see how the new average speed rules affect both of these.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 09:07:57 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2018, 06:51:39 AM »

Kitz wrote:
> AAISP or Zen. I think those are about the last 2 ISPs with a good reputation when it comes to CS. 

Not a fan?  :)  Why so?

--
And good point, reminder that this site has ISP ratings and reviews too. The ISP AA comes out top of Kitz users’ ratings list?

I hear good things about IDNet too, no?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 06:59:01 AM by Weaver »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2018, 06:57:31 AM »

I hear good things about IDNet too, no?

I hope so, because I've just signed up with them. :)
  Eric

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2018, 07:00:25 AM »

@Roseway would be interested if you let us know how you get on and what is good about IDNet.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2018, 07:28:31 AM »

Yes I will. The migration is scheduled to happen on the 26th June.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2018, 08:20:29 AM »

Kitz wrote:
> AAISP or Zen. I think those are about the last 2 ISPs with a good reputation when it comes to CS. 

Not a fan?  :)  Why so?

I think you misread.  I mean Zen and AAISP are a couple ISPs who do still have a good reputation when it comes to CS. :)
-----

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2018, 08:25:43 AM »

Oh I see! `the last ones left’ not ‘the last ones about whom I would say they have a good reputation'. God, English is weird.  ;D  Thanks!

Btw, who are you with yourself Kitz nowadays? Were you shopping around some while ago?
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything