Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: DS Error seconds advice please  (Read 2089 times)

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
DS Error seconds advice please
« on: May 13, 2016, 12:07:41 PM »

Hi,

Just looking for a bit of advice if poss. Ever since losing g.inp on my eci cab I am consistently in the amber zone on my ds for ES. I see between 400-600 ES per 24 hours on the DS. Can anything be done to help with this or perhaps if g.inp was fixed would it sort it?

What contributes to DS ES issues?

Many thanks

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: DS Error seconds advice please
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 06:37:36 PM »

I take it this is the first time you have seen your line stats with fastpath enabled and your line is ok ish.

It is normal to see more errored seconds when on fastpath than when interleaved or with g.inp my line on fastpath would show 2000 errored second in one day and 200 with interleaving and 0-10 with g.inp.

Not much you can do to lower those errored seconds as it's down to how much noise is on your line.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 06:44:26 PM by NewtronStar »

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 06:55:50 PM »

What contributes to DS ES issues?

Bit errors that survive all the error-correction processes that are turned on currently. 1 ES is one second-long period during which a bit error occurred, which means the maximum value that can be seen in 24 hours is 86,400. A very quick, concentrated burst of noise might cause 20-30 CRC errors, but only 1 or 2 ES's.

If a bit-error occurs on the line, it might get corrected by the FEC process - in which it contributes to the FEC counter.
If it doesn't get fixed by the FEC process, or the FEC process is turned off, it might get corrected by retransmission - in which case it contributes to some of the G.INP counters.
If it doesn't get fixed by retransmission, or retransmission is turned off, then it will contribute to a CRC failure - in which case it contribute to both the CRC counter and the ES counter.

My last line (18 months ago) was good enough to not trigger DLM intervention, so stayed on fastpath. It would regularly see 600-700 ES's per day, without issue.

Adding interleaving would likely sort it (at the expense of speed and latency). Adding retransmission would sort it, at the expense of losing tiny amounts of bandwidth whenever an error occurs.

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 07:09:42 PM »

Thanks for the info.. Hopefully my line will remain on fastpath for now
Cheers

N0STIE

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 07:19:29 PM »

It will, I was getting about 700 ES on DS before, without G.INP and on fast path and it stayed that way long time like 3-4 months then G.INP kicked in.