Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: With PlusNet on ADSL but BT FTTC looks a better deal  (Read 1965 times)

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
With PlusNet on ADSL but BT FTTC looks a better deal
« on: May 12, 2016, 05:21:43 PM »

Finally, after years of whinging, FTTC is available on my cabinet.  ;D
My phone is with BT and ADSL (unlimited) with PlusNet, £12.49 a month.

BT can offer me unlimited FTTC at 52mbps on a 12-month contract for £12.50 a month, £49 activation. Plus BT Sport and other extras.
PN is £17.49 for unlimited FTTC at only 38mbps with £50 activation. And it's an 18-month contract.

I'm happy with PN and wary of BT, what are peoples experiences of them like?

Just to add that I've called the PN "customer options" team and they are just not interested unless I switch line rental too, which I can't - due to decisions/limitations imposed by PlusNet (but not BT).  :'(
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 05:30:47 PM by HPsauce »

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
Re: With PlusNet on ADSL but BT FTTC looks a better deal
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 12:58:20 AM »

I wrote a nice long reply but lost it on the iPad so in brief.

1. You can save even more with BT if you use something like http://www.topcashback.co.uk/bt_total_broadband/

2. Plusnet: I would not sign up to their 38MB product as I think they still only offer 2MB upload unlike most other ISPs who have 10MB.

3. Your needs will vary and partly depend on what speeds https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ says your line might achieve.

4. Why are you wary of BT? There was another poster on here recently who changed to BT "against their better judgement"but has found it fine. I also use BT and get the speeds and reliability I expect - but there will always be some customers who have issues (as with any ISP)

5. BT are bringing more of their support back to the UK but you can always get hold of UK BT staff via their forum.

6. Being with BT also means you get access to BT WiFi and some other apps/products that smaller ISPs don't offer. However, it is a mass market ISP so doesn't offer certain things like a static IP on a residential connection and they are more anonymous/less open to deal with than a smaller ISP.

7. The Home Hub is fine for most users (and is effectively what Plusnet supply as well) though I use a 3rd party modem (and Google DNS) as the HH doesn't show many stats. (A new home hub model is due later this year)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 12:02:25 PM »

I put someone on BTbroadband a few years back because it was in their best interests to remain with a BT phone line.

If I'd have transferred the line to any other provider (non of whom provided such a service/discount anyhow) then the line rental cost made the total package cost much higher.   Because phone line costs are used to offset broadband costs, then there wasn't any point paying full price broadband elsewhere and keeping the line with BT.

Its been fine (admittedly they are only using adsl2+ rather than fttc).  Im sure if there had been any problems in the past 3 years then I would have known about it.

Things to remember, you cant get a static IP with BT but you can still use your own choice of modem if you dont like the HH.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

npr

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 04:27:12 PM »

I moved from Plusnert to BT Infinity 1 + BT sports TV in March.

I've disliked BT for many years, since I used them for dial up in the 90's, so I was very wary of going to them but I must say I've had no problems whatsoever. The sync speed is, as you would expect, the same as with PN and if anything the through put is slightly better.

I would advice to keep a eye on their deals to time placing the order, they seem to change each week some weeks being much better than others. Also order through a cash back site you can get loads of ££ back.

My deal:

Unlimited Infinity 1 + BT sports TV £10 / month
Line rental + free caller display £17.99 / month
Received a BT debit card pre loaded with £100
Cashback from topcashback.co.uk  £199   :cool:

All my outgoing calls are through VOIP so I haven't looked at call tariffs.
It's a 12 month contract, I don't know what deals they do for the second year.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 06:00:07 PM by npr »

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 05:06:35 PM »

It's a 12 month contract, I don't know what deals they do for the second year.

You may want to have a look at http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,17787.0.html if you're u haven't seen it already.

anything