Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Loss of G.INP complaint rasied against TalkTalk  (Read 14279 times)

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
Re: Loss of G.INP complaint rasied against TalkTalk
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2016, 06:40:03 PM »

At different times I ring sky fibre pro team to see what they have to say about g.inp etc.. always the same response of no idea of what it is even though I am sure I read on here "or" advise their customers of network changes yet they dont have a clue

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2016, 06:59:37 PM »

Try not to take this the wrong way  ;D why would you need to call your ISP and complain about G.INP surly you only need to talk to your ISP if there is Voice and or Line fault or Billing issues.

Do you guys just pickup the phone /online chats to your ISP for something to do as you have all the information you need from the Kitz forum on what is going on.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2016, 07:35:14 PM »

skyeci what I did was send a statement in live chat, and told them to copy and paste it word for word up the chain until someone who understands it receives it.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2016, 08:07:14 PM »

basic tech support wont have a clue what you on about, escalate it.

Yes that's what I intend to do after one more try to see if they do it anyway.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2016, 08:10:39 PM »

Try not to take this the wrong way  ;D why would you need to call your ISP and complain about G.INP surly you only need to talk to your ISP if there is Voice and or Line fault or Billing issues.

Do you guys just pickup the phone /online chats to your ISP for something to do as you have all the information you need from the Kitz forum on what is going on.

er.. who said I was complaining. I am asking purely from a technical implementation/do they know anything about it point of view which so  far has always been what's G.INP :lol:
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 08:12:44 PM by skyeci »

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2016, 08:21:42 PM »

I think that anyone who had no issues with their line but suddenly lost 10000kbps in sync after a re-sync with no fault issues would actually be quite likely to contact their ISP and ask why. Now some of those people might well come here and find out that G.INP might be why this happened. I guess most would not and yes quite a lot of people would be fobbed off by their ISP or even that their ISP had no idea what G.INP was or why it might have been removed.

However some folks are more savvy and wont leave things at that and will complain, and quite right they should. Some of use may know more about how this stuff works than the ISP support staff, and also may know more about how business works than their ISP support staff as well. None of this means we should not complain and not let things lie.

One thing I am thinking about doing (if I can find the correct email addresses) is to contact some journalists/BBC technology correspondents and try to get them interested as to why there is a post code lottery on your internet connection and that BTOR directly or indirectly caused this post code lottery. With the current views about BTOR I would hope it might garner some interest.

Stuart

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2016, 08:31:40 PM »

Hi Stuart

Good idea I reckon...

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2016, 08:37:17 PM »

rather you than me and any communication I've had with ISP's in the past leaves me frustrated to the point my voice starts to become louder and then the expletives and the reason why I never call my ISP's unless it's terminal  ;)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2016, 08:54:54 PM »

rather you than me and any communication I've had with ISP's in the past leaves me frustrated to the point my voice starts to become louder and then the expletives and the reason why I never call my ISP's unless it's terminal  ;)

Yes I know but I actually rather enjoy winding them up, the more I can do it the more I enjoy it. My wife doesn't call me grumpy for no reason  :lol: Years ago I even complained about no free washing power in a new machine we bought, my wife refused to come with me but I came home with two packets of powder and some soft rinse as well.  ;) ;D :cool:

Stuart

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2016, 09:51:12 PM »

Its such a pitty we never had a purge of complaints to ISP's when G.INP was removed as standard from the upstream last year on huawie cabinets we are still awaiting 1 year on for this to become the standard config again (Mk1) :shrug2:
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 09:54:25 PM by NewtronStar »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2016, 12:20:19 AM »

One thing I am thinking about doing (if I can find the correct email addresses) is to contact some journalists/BBC technology correspondents and try to get them interested as to why there is a post code lottery on your internet connection and that BTOR directly or indirectly caused this post code lottery.

I think that Rory Cellan-Jones would be the best person to contact. If you look on this page, a possible e-mail address is mentioned.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2016, 12:50:22 AM »

Mk1 is highly unlikely to happen.   
There are far too many modems out there (such as the ECI modem/HH5A etc) that cant do upstream G.INP.
When it was switched on, people with those modems saw a loss of ~10Mbps and increased latency.
The compromise with Mk2 was to make G.INP available to those lines which needed it and which were capable.

The 2016 rollout is different in that its causing PPP issues for modems which arent in some way compatible with the ECI rollout.  This is service affecting because they either cannot get connected or they have problems remaining connected.

In some way it looks like Openreach may have anticipated there being a PPP issue and its why they issued this warning in Jan 2015 - ECI modem - Issue 1.   What they didn't seem to anticipate is that not only would it affect ECI modems with old f/w... but also other modems such as the Drayteks, or Fritzboxes.

Draytek seem to have admitted defeat knowing that their equipment cant be updated - hence offering circa £100 off a newer model.   These didn't work on the Huawei cabs, but for some reason there seems to be a heck of a lot more people with Drayteks on ECI's.   I think I only saw one or two posts about people having to consign drayteks to the bin last year.. but I seem to have seen half a dozen or so just in the past few days on the ECI's. 

From what I can gather from one ISP, faults have taken a steep rise where they've had to send out OR engineers.   I guess we are now seeing why Openreach are being more firm about Modem Conformance Testing.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2016, 01:08:54 AM »

I think the PPP issue has been horribly misdiagnosed.

g.inp shouldnt break the protocol, the modem is a bridge passing unmodified packets across, I still think these PPP issues are because of high amounts of loss of sync causing ghosted PPP sessions and end users having to wait for those sessions to timeout.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2016, 07:40:17 AM »

Well I've had yet another useless and I suspect automated or at lest scripted email back with nothing sensible in it so this complaint will be sent directly to the CEOs office.

Thanks burakkucat I will indeed try that email, it was R C-J I was thinking of but had not yet found that.

Stuart

PS email sent and so far not bounced back, I copied Click as well for good measure.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 08:01:14 AM by broadstairs »

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2016, 02:11:34 PM »

The CEO Office are also useless. You'll get passed around and around.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5