Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Windows 10 free upgrade offer ends on July 29th  (Read 14827 times)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: Windows 10 free upgrade offer ends on July 29th
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2016, 09:29:17 PM »

Also I take it you prefer win10 over 8 and 7 given you reupgraded?

Have rolled back to Win8.1 again the creative X-FI ExtremeGamer sound card will work on Win10 but the creative software to change EQ and Bass redirection THX + CMSS 3D and a some other stuff won't work on Win10 which is big loss to me being an Audio Geek.

Looks like i'm stuck on Win8.1 untill there is a good soundcard with all the software features I need and works with 10

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2016, 11:14:41 PM »

unless you need dx12 then I think you fine on 8.1, if you want a start menu grab classic shell or startisback.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2016, 12:10:18 AM »

DirectX12 my gaming days are nearly over Chry there is one more game to play before I hit the 50 mark and that will be the latest TombRaider game just waiting for it to drop to £16.

Dave2150

• Reg Member
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2016, 01:50:38 AM »

DirectX12 my gaming days are nearly over Chry there is one more game to play before I hit the 50 mark and that will be the latest TombRaider game just waiting for it to drop to £16.

Get a 2nd/3rd gen VR headset in the future and rediscover games :) Also DX12/vulkan are the future, so we'll all be on W10 whether we like it or not! That said, once you configure the privacy options, W10 is simply a faster version of W7, so no looking back for me and millions of other users really.

We'll need a killer app or game, HL3 for example, to require DX12, to make the most stubborn/paranoid people that refuse to upgrade to join the party :lol:

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2016, 01:05:19 PM »

I cannot see anyone other than microsoft using DX12 exclusively on games, it makes no business sense, as they then cannot sell their games to the hundreds of millions of windows7/8 users out there.

The same reason why game developers still support windows XP today, they want to maximise sales.

Vulkan is different however as that is cross platform.  So we may see games using vulkan only.

Also HL3 would never ever be DX12 only :) valve would use vulkan given they dont want people using the windows store.

W10 is not just a faster version of W7 as you put it.

W7 has no modern apps.
W7 doesnt force updates.
W7 does not change UI elements every few months on threshold builds.
W7 does not reset settings on updates undoing tweaks.
W7 is faster than W10 on my hardware.
W7 does not data mine file contents for telemetry, even tho telemetry has been added to W7 it is not in the same league as W10 telementry.
W10 telemtry is so bad it causes my dad's pc to slow down for what seems forever as its continuily thrashed his hdd and used cpu cycles.  (noticeable on low end hardware).
W7 does not reboot without user interaction on updates.
W7 does not force new drivers onto the machine.
W7 does not have oversized Ui elements.
W7 does not integrate cloud functions (which I see as a benefit).
W7 does not require app developers to make a new version of app to keep it working on the OS when there is OS updates.

There is more differences then that as well, but I think I posted enough to make it clear what you posted was a tad naive.

With that said tho I dont use W7 anymore, some parts of it have become too dated, so I moved to W8.1 which I seen as a middle compromise, I get benefits of the new applocker security model, hyperV and able to use new modern apps if I want to, but without the downsides of the new updating system.

Microsoft's end game is still a locked down system, ultimately they want to kill win32 and have everything installed via their windows store.  They want the apple model.  Windows 10 will slowly transition to that state.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 01:17:50 PM by Chrysalis »

Dave2150

• Reg Member
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2016, 05:17:32 PM »

I cannot see anyone other than microsoft using DX12 exclusively on games, it makes no business sense, as they then cannot sell their games to the hundreds of millions of windows7/8 users out there.

The same reason why game developers still support windows XP today, they want to maximise sales.

Vulkan is different however as that is cross platform.  So we may see games using vulkan only.

Also HL3 would never ever be DX12 only :) valve would use vulkan given they dont want people using the windows store.

W10 is not just a faster version of W7 as you put it.

W7 has no modern apps.
W7 doesnt force updates.
W7 does not change UI elements every few months on threshold builds.
W7 does not reset settings on updates undoing tweaks.
W7 is faster than W10 on my hardware.
W7 does not data mine file contents for telemetry, even tho telemetry has been added to W7 it is not in the same league as W10 telementry.
W10 telemtry is so bad it causes my dad's pc to slow down for what seems forever as its continuily thrashed his hdd and used cpu cycles.  (noticeable on low end hardware).
W7 does not reboot without user interaction on updates.
W7 does not force new drivers onto the machine.
W7 does not have oversized Ui elements.
W7 does not integrate cloud functions (which I see as a benefit).
W7 does not require app developers to make a new version of app to keep it working on the OS when there is OS updates.

There is more differences then that as well, but I think I posted enough to make it clear what you posted was a tad naive.

With that said tho I dont use W7 anymore, some parts of it have become too dated, so I moved to W8.1 which I seen as a middle compromise, I get benefits of the new applocker security model, hyperV and able to use new modern apps if I want to, but without the downsides of the new updating system.

Microsoft's end game is still a locked down system, ultimately they want to kill win32 and have everything installed via their windows store.  They want the apple model.  Windows 10 will slowly transition to that state.

There's nothing wrong with preferring W7 or W8.1, as we all have a choice to install and use whichever OS we choose to. I do feel it's rather silly to exaggerate or flat out lie to try and argue your point, however.

I'll address some of your incorrect points:

1. There are already many games out there that don't support Windows XP. Examples include the incredibly popular Battlefield series, ever since the 2011 release of Battlefield 3. In fact the vast majority of AAA games don't work on XP anymore, so your point here is completely incorrect.

2. In the future, games will require DX12. This is inevitable. I'm not sure how old you are, though though of us who have been around the PC gaming scene for a few years already know that older DX versions are eventually made obsolete and are not used or supported. An example of which is Fallout 4, it is a Directx 11 only game, such are the vast  majority of AAA game releases in 2016. I'd say that within the next year we'll start to see games require W10 to play. Each quarter that will go by from that point will increase the number of W10 only games. Then eventually, all AAA games will require W10, regardless of not if they are DX12 only.

3. Windows 10 is a faster operating system than W7 and W8.1. This has been proven in many reviews/benchmarks that have compared it to W7 and W8.1. It boots fater, handles resources faster and is simply a far more fluid experience than any Windows OS before it. Of course if your running on an old potato of  PC, you'll see less difference, though you cannot deny that W10 is faster.

4. Modern Apps? I don't use any, they can even be easily uninstalled if you wish.

5. Why would you not want updates? Without them your system is left open to security threads. Nonetheless if, you truly wish to disable updates, this can also be done on W10, though I wouldn't recommend it.

6. Threshold builds. You claim they occur "every few months". Are you aware that there has only been one so far, in the 1 year of W10's history? Even so, it look me seconds to change a few settings back to my preferred options once I had upgraded to v1511

7. You system must be extremely old to not run faster on W10. I'd suggest checking if it meets the minimum requirements to install the OS, perhaps that's where your problems lie?

8. W10 can easily be configured to not collect any data. There is even a program called "Spybot Anti-Beacon" for those without the knowledge of how to disable the data collection themselves.

9. My PC takes around 6 seconds to boot with an NVME SSD. That said, I've never had it reboot without my intervention, though I'm in the habit of rebooting if I need to, as a 6 second boot time for me isn't a big deal. Perhaps if you are booting off a old 5400RPM HDD this could be a nuisance, though in this day and age, SSD's are affordable and ubiquitous.

10. W10 can easily be configured to not install new drivers, it's a less than 10 second process.

11. I'm pleased with how the UI elements of W10 scale on my monitors. My main monitor is a 1440P screen, though my 1080P laptop also feels and looks great. Very similar to W7. These settings can also be customised if you so wish.

12.  Cloud functions? I assume you mean onedrive? This can also be disabled very easily if you don't like it, though obviously data is only stored in the one drive cloud if you would transfer data there, an action which requires you to do so yourself.

13. Updating Apps is a fairly common and needed scenario, as windows updates improve security and have performance features.

Anyway, all this is besides the point. Everyone will have to upgrade to W10 eventually, as Microsoft's support for older OS's is counting down by the minute:

Windows XP: Mainstream and extended support has ended.
Windows Vista: Mainstream support has ended. Extended support ending in 2017
Windows 7: Mainstream support has ended. Extended support ending in 2020
Windows 8/8.1 Mainstream supports ends in 2018. Extended support ending in 2023

Time is ticking, though I imagine the vast majority of current PC users will be tablet users by 2023, making our discussion rather pointless  ;D
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 05:26:42 PM by Dave2150 »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2016, 06:52:30 PM »

your reply assumes all updates benefit everyone and has no bugs ,  this is a very big assumption to make,  also apologies i didn't realise you have personally tested the thousands of hardware and software combinations to declare windows ten is faster for everyone,  also that i am sorry i must be mistaken for thinking dx9 games are still been made today.

the steamdb shows over 70% of games released in last year or so are dx9 games,  and thats with xp smaller install base than win7 which has the biggest chunk of users
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 06:55:54 PM by Chrysalis »

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2016, 10:21:59 PM »

i see free upgrades to Windows 10 still going on  :D they must be hoping few a few stragglers to sign up.
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/feature/windows/windows-10-upgrade-still-free-why-upgrade-windows-10-is-windows-10-good-3618139/
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2016, 01:52:01 AM »

Author of the article seems to be writing a marketing article, some weird claims in the article.  But yeah microsoft left a backdoor in place to upgrade for free, they want as many people as possible to data mine from.

On the full screen interruptions, it should be noted that if you disable auto updates in windows 10 pro via the policy editor, it will resort to full screen interruptions with the only clickable option to immediatly proceed with the update, pressing the escape key will cancel it tho, although only temporarily the full screen interruption comes back at intervals.  Why microsoft consider this acceptable behaviour I dont know.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2016, 02:43:29 AM »

they must be hoping few a few stragglers to sign up.

Cant check atm, but as of about 1 hr after midnight on the 29th, I clicked the update on my Win7 Pro and it said the offer had expired and it was like that yesterday.   Annoyingly the update icon was still in the system tray even though it said expired.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2016, 03:30:13 AM »

Kitz a warning, macrium is broken by this update, so if you get issues that be why, macrium are working on a patch.

parkdale

• Reg Member
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2016, 07:15:03 PM »

Cheers chrys for that info.  Aside from that first run it seems to be ok now.  Whether it makes any difference the first run was a full backup and its now doing differentials.   Next full backup is due Tues so I shall see what happens then.

@parkdale - thanks for that link.   Ive decided now Im going to keep my Win7 pro.  Currently doing a new build with Win10 and cannibalising 2 old PCs for Win7 machine which I never got around to updating.   It was the dead drives and an intermittant fault with my graphics card which made me decide that I perhaps need to do some updating. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2016, 09:43:05 PM »

7+ taskbar tweaker dev finally deciding to fix his app, its been broken for about 6 months since an insider build broke it but he waited until the changes hit the normal builds.

avast broken (uninstalled on win10 rig now anyway to test new eset v10 beta)
eset partially broken
hmpa partially broken
firewall rules for system binaries reset to default settings
tasks created by microsoft reset to default settings

Dont know what else yet on my win10 testing box, but its not as broken as the first update.  This time system policies and drivers survived.

Also found this

https://m.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/4vufpo/windows_10_fully_freezes_after_anniversary_update/

No worries from me on you keeping win7, use what you most happy with and dont feel obliged to follow the sheep. :)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 09:46:01 PM by Chrysalis »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2016, 07:43:40 AM »

Whats broken with Avast on W10, I've not noticed anything yet? I haven't received the anniversary update yet though.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4