Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Windows 10 free upgrade offer ends on July 29th  (Read 14831 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Windows 10 free upgrade offer ends on July 29th
« on: May 07, 2016, 09:45:16 AM »

Windows 10 free upgrade offer ends on July 29th

Microsoft has announced that the free all-you-can-eat Windows 10 upgrade buffet will close forever on July 29, and that after that you'll have to pay for all the fun of its latest operating system.

US$119 is the price Redmond has set for the Home version of the operating system. A sales person in a live chat session on the Microsoft online store told us the UK price will be £99.99 while Australians will pay the quaint price of AU$161.10.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Windows 10 free upgrade offer ends on July 29th
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 10:40:19 PM »

I must get my act together.
One of those things - never seem to find to play with or sort my own kit :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 03:17:31 AM »

kitz do a image backup
upgrade to win10 and make sure activated
restore backup
upgrade at your own leisure on a later date pre activated.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 08:56:37 AM »

There's speculation that may not work, some say your key for W7 or W8 becomes invalid when upgrading, but you have 30 days to roll back, so if you do roll back by whatever means does the W10 installation stay activated, especially after the 29 July,  that's the big question.

I recently moved over to W10 on my main system here and am happy with it, once my daughters finish school I'll be moving their computers over, I also need to do our two media centre PC's which now have mediaportal installed instead of Windows Media Centre.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 10:28:08 AM »

If you want to do an image backup that thats good.

If windows update isnt working fully for you then I suggest using the Media Creation Tool here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

It will give you an option of creating an image on to a usb/dvd storage source or upgrading your computer. I created the image on a usb stuck, then just let it upgrade my computer. Just make sure you dont have any other usb device plugged in except your mouse and keyboard. I think the issue comes from usb storage devices seems to cause a bug where it stops at a certain percentage.

I've never had an issue upgrading with the media creation tool. I guess I should also mentioned I had changed something in the registery on the new comp trying to set my default locations to my storage hdd instead of the system ssd and it messed things up. Luckily there was a newer version of Windows that had come out so I ended up changing the registry entries back and over installing the new win10 version over the old version and it set everything back to working. When Win10 works its a lot better imho. Just make sure you make the backup image as a safety precaution.

PS, I did use roll back when I got in to problems with the reg edit stuff as it only showed up when I first attempted to upgrade to the new version of win10. So I had to roll back. The old version of Windows keeps on your system as Windows.old. You can delete it once everythings working. Good luck!
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 05:55:52 PM »

There's speculation that may not work, some say your key for W7 or W8 becomes invalid when upgrading, but you have 30 days to roll back, so if you do roll back by whatever means does the W10 installation stay activated, especially after the 29 July,  that's the big question.

I recently moved over to W10 on my main system here and am happy with it, once my daughters finish school I'll be moving their computers over, I also need to do our two media centre PC's which now have mediaportal installed instead of Windows Media Centre.

this didnt happen for me.

Although my win7 keys do work on 10 machines each (technet keys), so it is possible they been reduced to nine, but I dont think microsoft will goto the effort of disabling the keys.

Also regardless if the keys are deactivated the backup will have the windows in a already activated state anyway.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 06:46:06 PM »

this didnt happen for me.

Can you share your secrete of time travel with me please as for the rest of us 29 July 2016 is yet to arrive  ;)

PS I'm temped to keep my old machine on Windows 7

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2016, 07:05:21 PM »

I said my windows 7 key didnt become deactivated. No time travel needed :)

So basically the win7 key I used to upgrade my win10 test machine still works if I use it on a new install and activate.

Windows 10 isnt aweful, my main reason for not using it is the enforce rapid development model, on all my production machines I manage my updates via komms update checker which installs all hotfixes not just windows updates, I like the ability to keep certian updates not installed and upgrade at my own pace.  I also value a stable UI.

On my windows 10 test machine, everytime there is a new build (update that requires OS reinstall) apps break, notably security apps and 7 taskbar tweaker.  Then there is a time lag before these apps get fixes to catch up.  Sometimes core windows functions break as well e.g. hyperv was broken for me between RTM and TH2.   The policy editor trick to set update to notify only is ok, it adds a degree of control back, but its not the same as win 8.1 and 7.

Funny enough it turns out DX12 is actually a bit of a hindrance as microsoft have tied that to the universal apps code, meaning DX12 stuff uses microsoft store API's and various functions gamers are used to in game dont work as well such as controlling vsync. So with me not currently been bothered by DX12, I dont think win10 has a single feature I crave for.  Of course this may change over time but I am ok for now on 8.1. 

I am now glad I upgraded from win7 tho, as I discovered the newer WDDM model in 8.1 works much better for gaming, the appcontainer is a good security improvement and I like the start screen as a good idle screen showing status of weather etc.  I used my 2 licenses I brought for win8 when it was released on the cheap upgrade offer they had (was about 10gbp each).  Secureboot is also a very good security improvement to protect from malware bootloaders.

Back on topic, remember the pricing revealed is scaremongering, oem keys for windows 10 will likely be available on key sites for very low prices (sub 20GBP) and microsoft themselves will very likely pull out some kind of offer, as they still want people to switch.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2016, 09:15:53 PM »

Re Time travel, was referring to not knowing if the activated W10 keys will still work after the 29 July if you rolled back to W7 or W8 and then decided to go back to your activated W10 after that date.

Only problem I've had so far with W10 is the software for flashing my new phone didn't work, had to use W7, hence I think it would be a good idea for me to keep one PC with W7

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2016, 10:00:38 PM »

They will work as the activation is permanent providing the hardware stays the same.  Or at least stays similar.

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2016, 05:26:58 PM »

I have recently acquired a second hand Lenovo laptop
All reset back as Win7 pro 64 bit SP1 and now updated by myself to the current state of Win7.

So the question:
Is there anyway of finding out whether in its past life it had been upgraded to win10?

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2016, 07:48:41 AM »

Quickest solution is to allow the 'GWX' software to install (ex MS) and when you run the 'Upgrade option' it will advise you of any 'problems' it has.

Be aware that a Win 10 Upgrade installs a Win 10 license that is 'keyed' to the machine & its build (via unique identifiers).
This is NOT the same as Win 7 or 8.x, so any previous 'Win 10 upgrade' install cannot conflict with any existing install and/or Win 10 license key. If it has been previously upgraded it will be looking for a match in the hardware configuration which cannot exist elsewhere at the same time. (unless the hardware has been 'cloned') <jk> !!!
Clean installs of Win 10 from Physical media or disk images *may* work differently but I believe that MS is now using the unique identifiers on all machines to cross reference the Win 10 keys to each machine.

IMPORTANT
==========
I would advise you perform a full backup of the Win7 Installation *first* so you can run a restore back to the state 'before' the 'GWX' software was installed & run.
Full backup means a disk image to ensure 'ALL' changes are able to be overwritten and 'reversed'.
Macrium Reflect Free will be able to do this ......... see ----> http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx
(Have used this 'in anger' and it works !!! )

Hope this helps !!!

Think carefully before 'drinking the Win 10 Koolaid' and remember you have 30 days to 'roll back' the Win 10 upgrade, if you change your mind and have NOT created a 'working' Full disk backup to undo the 'Win 10 Experience' as above.

Sent from my Samsung SM-P900 via Tapatalk (Typos & Bad formatting are free)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2016, 11:14:20 PM »

Have a old XP desktop in the house the motherboard came from from my old Advent PC from PC world in 2007 it's a Dual core E4300 1.8Ghz bought a case and stuck a 250GB HD in it.

The user of this PC was complaining of a slow internet pages slow boot slow everything, so purchased a windows 8.1 licence key for £15 backed up the XP data installed Windows 8.1 and this old PC is super quick again and 2 days later it's now a Windows 10 OS and still super quick.

From XP to Windows 10 for £15 so don't let this Windows 10 free upgrade slip by

z1ts

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2016, 04:01:18 PM »

Done the same with 3 No. XP machines :)

£19.99 W7 licences so a tad more expensive than yours...... :(

My tuppence worth:- W10 has solved more of my problems (with accross the dozen or so PC's I 'manage') than it's created......!  I know it's had a bit of 'bad press' here & there and poor old M$ have taken a bit of a beating over it, but in my honest opinion it's a not bad system!!

z1ts

WesBez7

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2016, 04:37:18 PM »

Have you heard of the privacy concerns? Just in general terms. Strange how this is free. Why now?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4