Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: VMG8924 is superb  (Read 6208 times)

digitalnemesis

• Reg Member
VMG8924 is superb
« on: May 06, 2016, 12:37:27 PM »

HG612:
Max:   Upstream rate = 9052 Kbps, Downstream rate = 46436 Kbps
Bearer:   0, Upstream rate = 9562 Kbps, Downstream rate = 47644 Kbps

VMG 8924:
Max:    Upstream rate = 9016 Kbps, Downstream rate = 49176 Kbps
Bearer: 0, Upstream rate = 8860 Kbps, Downstream rate = 49137 Kbps

les-70

• Kitizen
Re: VMG8924 is superb
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 12:54:56 PM »

Considering only the dsl side of things in the modem/router then the error rates can as important or more important than the sync.   if your line has few errors this is not an issue and the sync speed is what counts, but if your line might risk interleaving and DLM action with an increase in errors the error rate is usually the most important feature.

digitalnemesis

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 01:08:18 PM »

Considering only the dsl side of things in the modem/router then the error rates can as important or more important than the sync.   if your line has few errors this is not an issue and the sync speed is what counts, but if your line might risk interleaving and DLM action with an increase in errors the error rate is usually the most important feature.

I'll monitor the errors compared to the HG612.

It seems fitting the MK3 filter also helped with the missing tones in the higher frequencies.

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 08:26:59 AM »

Hi

Two things are probably working in your favour:

1) Any new modem has an advantage (all other things being equal) over an older one as these consumer products are not built for 24/7 operation, or they are, just with the expectation they don't last very long.  Some are better than others.  The problem is normally related to capacitors and how warm these units tend to run, with capacitor lifetime measured only in thousands of hours, they start to degrade quite quickly.  The result usually is an increase in the modems own generated noise, this raises the noise floor and so can reduce signal to noise ratio.

2) The other plus with the 8924 is it has an internal noise filter placed close to the VDSL circuitry, most modems do not, this helps remove more noise before the signal is processed by the modem.  Factor in the built quality is good on the ZyXEL, and it tends to do quite well with adding a bit more sync speed.

Regards

Phil

digitalnemesis

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 10:21:21 AM »

Hi

Two things are probably working in your favour:

1) Any new modem has an advantage (all other things being equal) over an older one as these consumer products are not built for 24/7 operation, or they are, just with the expectation they don't last very long.  Some are better than others.  The problem is normally related to capacitors and how warm these units tend to run, with capacitor lifetime measured only in thousands of hours, they start to degrade quite quickly.  The result usually is an increase in the modems own generated noise, this raises the noise floor and so can reduce signal to noise ratio.

2) The other plus with the 8924 is it has an internal noise filter placed close to the VDSL circuitry, most modems do not, this helps remove more noise before the signal is processed by the modem.  Factor in the built quality is good on the ZyXEL, and it tends to do quite well with adding a bit more sync speed.

Regards

Phil

Is there any further info on this noise filter and how exactly it works?

Kind regards

hagrid

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 10:51:25 AM »

it will consist of a pair of wires wound on a small toroid connected so that common mode noise is cancelled and most good equipment will implement this and some adsl micro filters also have this rather than just passing on the incoming pair to the dsl socket.

This is basically what the RF3 filter does but it is much closer to the chip set so eliminates noise pick up on any connecting leads as well.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 11:00:35 AM by hagrid »

npr

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 11:03:00 AM »

I would hope it's more than that, there's one of those in the BT MK2 and Mk3 face plate.

bobpullen

• ISP Rep
    • Plusnet
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 01:19:54 PM »

One of my favourite features of this particular unit is the ability to convert the WAN port into a fifth LAN port using an option in the GUI.
Bob Pullen
Plusnet
Product Team
community.plus.net

digitalnemesis

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2016, 01:26:56 PM »

One of my favourite features of this particular unit is the ability to convert the WAN port into a fifth LAN port using an option in the GUI.

Has anyone tried disabling QoS? Does this add some upstream sync like on the HG612?

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2016, 02:42:31 PM »

Hi

I would hope it's more than that, there's one of those in the BT MK2 and Mk3 face plate.

It is just a coil of wires essentially and quite correct in that most face plates and some filters also contain one.

The main benefit here though is this filter is placed as close as is possible to the input to the VDSL modem.  VDSL modems are themselves quite electrically noisy, so as that signal travels up the wire to the RJ11 socket on the back, it is possible for noise to be introduced that way (it interferes with itself), as well as picking up any noise in the home.  Once inside and past the filter, the circuit board is designed with ground planes so that noise is limited on the plane of the circuit board.

The fact they haven't skimped on price by leaving this filter out (the majority of modems do not contain additional filters), also points to a more considered and no expense spared design, which helps eek out a bit more performance.

Regards

Phil

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2016, 09:57:47 PM »

I must admit that I'm a fan of it too.   

I love the GUI and just how much you can do in there.  It may seem overwhelming to a Noob, but from what Ive seen its based on the SBG3300 Web Interface which is classed as small business grade.. and I like that they haven't removed anything.  It can be buggy on occasions but I think Im just used to it now.

For me the stability is excellent, I had a line fault nrly 2 years ago and put the HG612 back on, but since I was getting less errors with the Zyxel, I soon switched back. 

I've tried a few modem/routers but the VMG8324 (same as 8924 except wifi)  is the one I go back to, because it works best for me.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

digitalnemesis

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2016, 10:06:36 PM »

What grade is the 8924?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 12:12:14 AM by kitz »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2016, 12:16:40 AM »

Sorry not sure what you mean by grade?

Only difference between the VMG8324 and VMG8924 is wireless n and wireless ac.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

digitalnemesis

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2016, 01:10:18 AM »

Sorry not sure what you mean by grade?

Only difference between the VMG8324 and VMG8924 is wireless n and wireless ac.

Consumer or higher grade?

Cheers

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2016, 09:30:48 AM »

Hi

They are both consumer models, on the good end for consumer models, but nothing industrial or made to last.

Regards

Phil
Pages: [1] 2

anything