Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: HG612 and ASUS NT66U on SKY - Cant connect  (Read 5435 times)

sisniper

• Just arrived
HG612 and ASUS NT66U on SKY - Cant connect
« on: May 05, 2016, 12:39:45 AM »

Hi Guys

Just had sky fibre installed and have gone down the route of a HG612 with a trusty old NT66U as wireless access  point  as described elsewhere, everything seemed initially ok using Merlins latest firmware, however Im now having difficulty accessing the asus (its very slow to access the interface) and if I try connecting to WIFI Im also getting 'Cannot connect to the Network' (in win10 and Win7) Ive tried resetting the router several times but still no joy after the initial config Im getting WIFI connnection issues and possibly dodgy internet connectivity (even when wired through the ASUS)

For now Iv resorted back the SKY 102 Router but this isnt the long term answer as I have 30-40 devices on the network and this thing cant seem to handle it that many devices

Im Initially going to swap the HG612 for a ECI (same as my Cab) and reflash the ASUS with either the same (latest) or slightly older merlin

If this fails
My alternatives are to reflash back to ASUS firmware and use SR102 for connecting to the Internet only with no DHCP etc (if I can configure the ASUS WIFI, DHCP, NAT etc etc which im not sure it will allow)

Has anyone else experienced these problems ?????

Wife acceptance for Fibre is currently through the floor :(
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 07:17:15 PM by sisniper »

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
Re: HG612 and ASUS NT66U on SKY - Cannot connect to WIFI
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 05:43:29 AM »

Sounds odd. I run the rt-ac87u with merlin and a vmg8324 n bridge mode on sky fibre and its more or less bullet proof. The asus peforms well and never had to reboot the router due to crash etc. The 5ghz wifi is superb.
Have you checked the stats of the modem to make sure your connection is good to start with.
Not knowing the 66u it might be worth trying a different merlin build.

I would be  checking the modem stats first and if the link looks ok I would consider different router or merlin build.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 05:46:27 AM by skyeci »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 07:30:39 AM »

Have you got any data on the HG614? I can't find any reference to it.
  Eric

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 08:31:40 AM »

Perhaps he means HG612?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 06:18:46 PM by burakkucat »

sisniper

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 04:50:42 PM »

Hi Guys

thanks for the help so far , Sorry your quite right I have the HG612 with 08 firmware with GUI and BT agent disabled
I've reflashed the N66 with Merlins latest beta firmware and that seems to have helped recover the wireless status (not sure why it wasn't allowing new wireless connections but it is now)

I will try and be as precise as possible in what ive done as I suspect this may be something fairly simple that's breaking my desired setup

RT-N66U config

Ive setup as Wireless Router with a  fixed IP of 192.168.0.2

under WAN I have set WAN connection type as Automatic IP
(rest of settings as default)
under Special Requirements for ISP

MAC : (Sky router MAC)
DHCP : Aggrerssive
Manual ClientId userid@skydsl|password

I've seen other entries where clientid is encased in single ', I've tried both :(

On the 612 side I have flashed and reset to basic config , I can see that it is connected ok and cant see any  errors (let me know what to look at specifically) , as far as I'm concerned no settings needed changing as the modem acts purely as a conduit between home and cabinet / exchange then any credentials are passed through by router option 61 ?

However when looking at the diagnostics on the 612 I get unable to obtain IP from PPPOE, which would tell me the Router has slightly the wrong config ? but Im bu@@ered to know what ?

any advice guys

Im currently using the N66 as a AP with the SR102 connect to LAN1 with WIFI disabled , and its great apart form my concerns on its capability on number of attached devices

Hope you can point me in the right direction

thanks

Simon
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 06:19:45 PM by burakkucat »

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 04:55:05 PM »

However when looking at the diagnostics on the 612 I get unable to obtain IP from PPOEE (SORRY ABREVIATION MAY BE WRONG)

The HG612 should not be trying to obtain an IP from PPPOE

sisniper

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 05:01:25 PM »

can someone point me in the direction of a step by step HG612 config (my cab is ECI but I cant seem to get into the ECI modem interface I bought off ebay - Ive gathered these are locked ?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 06:20:22 PM by burakkucat »

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 05:38:02 PM »

The wifi issue sounds more like a router problem. I also think its the routers job to get the IP and sign you in to Sky.

I'm running my current HG612 modem on the same firmware as you. Also using the same router.

Hmm as a matter of interest, are you sure you don't have an ip conflict when looking up the HG612 web interface and the rt n66u interface? The router and the modem tend to have an ip clash. If you can get to the router interface I think the router ip is listed as LAN IP. Make sure that's not the same as the modem web gui.

I don't use the merlin firmware. Did the router's wifi work ok before you flashed it to merlin?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 06:20:52 PM by burakkucat »
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

sisniper

• Just arrived
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 05:42:56 PM »

attached some screengrabs - hopefully useful

modem diags screen

I hope these help

Si
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 09:11:55 PM by sisniper »

sisniper

• Just arrived
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 05:46:55 PM »

I do suspect the merlin wifi issue was to blame but reflashing has resolved that - at least for now

How do you logon using your setup if you don't use Merlin ?

The modem has ip of 192.168.0.1
router is 192.168.0.2 (fixed)

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 06:30:41 PM »

can someone point me in the direction of a step by step HG612 config (my cab is ECI but I cant seem to get into the ECI modem interface I bought off ebay - Ive gathered these are locked ?

Yes the eci modem is locked. It can be unlocked if you wish (see post on kitz)You only need dynamic ip on your merlin build and input the sky user and password in the wan section. The 612 should work out with no messing if you have flashed it.

Have used 612 plus eci unlocked, 8800nl and 8932 in bridge mode as modems. No extra config required bar the wan port on the router with skys requirements..
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 06:34:14 PM by skyeci »

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2016, 08:46:37 PM »

I do suspect the merlin wifi issue was to blame but reflashing has resolved that - at least for now

How do you logon using your setup if you don't use Merlin ?

I login with the slightly different ip address, that it let me change when i first connected the router.. then i setup a username and password.. the layout is similar to yours. Though I bet you have more options.

Apart from when I recently upgraded the firmware and kept getting dc's, it seemed to sort itself and works for what I need so far.

sisniper

• Just arrived
Re: HG612 and ASUS NT66U on SKY - Cant connect
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2016, 02:23:18 AM »

Sorted

full reset the HG modem

re-entered username|password but this time with 'username|password' (single quotes) and connected immediately

would recommend anyone having any sort of problems to reset firmwares on all devices
I just need to keep an eye out on ping and rates as the ping has doubled to 26ms and rates have dropped 10Mb/s, hopefully this is just temporary while modem stabilises although I am using HG modem on ECI cab :(

Thanks to all

Si

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2016, 09:36:49 AM »

I'm glad your all up and running now.

Hmm the ping and rate drop sounds like interleaving. It's probably been applied if you were disconnecting and reconnecting the modem a few times. Interleaving should eventually be removed if all goes well and the line can support it.

I was going to post on this thread yesterday but I wasn't sure if you had fixed it or not. I found a thread about another guy with the same setup as you, sky and the HG612 modem with RT N66U. I think he had to re-flash the firmware too. Technology can be so fickle sometimes, thats why when everythings up and working I leave well alone lol

sisniper

• Just arrived
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2016, 01:21:23 PM »

thanks all for your input

how long will the interleaving affect my speed ?? currently getting 26MB and 8 up compared with 38 and 8 yesterday ?

i did try to keep disconnects to a minimum yesterday

also could this be down to a HG modem on a ECI cab , I do have a locked ECI revB but it looks too complicated to unlock , soldering messing with UART USB etc etc , anyone got a source for unlocked ECI?

Thanks

Si
Pages: [1] 2

anything