Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12

Author Topic: New "BT Smart Hub"  (Read 70092 times)

mlmclaren

• Reg Member
Re: New "BT Smart Hub"
« Reply #150 on: July 20, 2016, 12:51:14 PM »

Well received another new smart hub this morning, guess what... same problems... I'm now using my mobile for internet as the hub has randomly killed all network traffic internal and external....

I think I will be telling BT to refund me, give me compensation and perhaps even shove their contract where the sun don't shine.  >:(

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #151 on: July 20, 2016, 01:13:13 PM »

Are you sure you weren't a victim of this morning's outage? You might find it works now.
  Eric

mlmclaren

• Reg Member
« Reply #152 on: July 20, 2016, 09:37:36 PM »

No the issues are not internet related, they are router related.

Geekofbroadband

• Reg Member
« Reply #153 on: July 20, 2016, 10:02:56 PM »

Mine about an hour ago was messing up, had DNS issues, couldnt get on any websites, and the wireless seems to just stop working sometimes even though it stays connected. Maybe I will go back to my good old R7000  :P

mlmclaren

• Reg Member
« Reply #154 on: July 21, 2016, 11:29:06 AM »

Did the status light turn green??

Geekofbroadband

• Reg Member
« Reply #155 on: July 21, 2016, 01:43:00 PM »

Nope remained Blue

Arksun

« Reply #156 on: July 21, 2016, 02:25:42 PM »

Their whole campaign is based on "The BT Smart Hub provides the UK’s most powerful wi-fi signal"
And yet that "Marketing claims substantiation" states "What do we measure?" => "The most important aspect of wi-fi for customers is their Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) throughput. "
Every metric quoted in that document is throughput. This purported "most powerful signal" is never mentioned r.e. ERP/RSSI and hence appears not to be a measured metric for this claim.

If I made AA NiMH batteries for a living, and I advertised it was the "most powerful" battery for it's type, I would get slapped if the mAh rate was lower than competitors products, because "power" in the context of a battery  = electrical power. Likewise, for an RF device, power = ERP, yet here we have a "most powerful signal" claim for a RF device, and the "substantiation" avoids this metric like the plague.

I am not knocking the product - it could well be a very efficient device - I just have a pet hate for marketing that leaps on buzz phrases without appearing to substantiate their claims properly  :(

Yup, and its somewhat grating when they have their little small print at the bottom of the tv advert saying "compared to all major UK broadband providers"  ,ie,  the most 'powerful' compared to about 7 different other modem routers ignoring the dozens of other powerful ones available to buy. I think they should be made to have the words "compared to the other major providers modem routers" spoken clearly (ie not timestretched)  in the audio in those adverts.

bbnovice

• Reg Member
« Reply #157 on: July 22, 2016, 01:02:36 PM »

Infinity 2 customer. Previously using HG612 and HH5.  According to Openreach speed tester, I had an IP profile on 65.16/20 and achieving speed of 63.16/14.29. (I test weekly and it has been on those numbers for many months).

Installed HH6 today and frankly its rubbish.

Profile immediately dropped to 59.92/20 and speed of 50.49/12.42.

So all I've managed to achieve is a drop in speed to Infinity 1 !!!!!

Have not even bothered to test alleged WiFi improvements. Currently I intend leaving it for 24 hours and then this piece of junk is straight back to BT. 

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #158 on: July 22, 2016, 03:26:44 PM »

:(
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

skwark

« Reply #159 on: July 22, 2016, 03:38:33 PM »

Profile immediately dropped to 59.92/20 and speed of 50.49/12.42.

Similar story here, though not as dramatic - was attainable 48/8 and HH6 dropped it to 38/7.5 (but been stuck on banded profile of 30 for months anyway).

I presumed the difference was down to the fact G.INP wasn't enabled on the HH6?

bbnovice

• Reg Member
« Reply #160 on: July 22, 2016, 04:50:15 PM »

Just got off the phone with BT after waiting for 90 minutes for a callback from their “queue buster” system.  Complete waste of time – the Indian gentleman initially told me to switch off 5gHz wireless to fix the issue!!

He then messed around with settings at the exchange and then told me he had set a “target” of 65 for synch speed but I have to wait 3-5 days for line to “stabilise”.

I was dubious about all of this.  Nevertheless I reinstalled Smart Hub and, as expected, found that speeds were just as bad as before.
The stats available from the Smart Hub are sparse, but it tells me:

Sync speed = 61.39/14.22
Maximum data rate 59.9/14.22
Noise margin 6.5/6.3
Attentuation 18.1
Fastpath

However the OR Wholesale speed tester tells me that the IP profile is 59.1/20 and actual speeds are 54.63/12.18.

According to the OR tester the HG612 and HH4 provide a much higher IP profile and faster speeds.

My fear now is that he has messed my line up. Also I’ll have to wait 5 days before I can initiate the formal complaint process whilst the mythical line “stabilisation” takes place.

I don’t know whether or not to reinstall the HG612 and HH4 now, or wait for 5 days and see what the speeds are like then.  Any thoughts?

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #161 on: July 22, 2016, 06:04:25 PM »

Which version of the firmware are you using? Most Smart Hubs tend to ship with an old version and are then updated - though even the latest public version needs some work to it (including to the modem code) and there is a newer firmware version being tested.

Had it been a long time sinc your HG612 had last resynced? The hotter weather now can also cause the line attenuation to increase which also leads to slower speeds. If so, when you put the HG612 back on the line you are also likely to get lower speeds than before

bbnovice

• Reg Member
« Reply #162 on: July 22, 2016, 06:38:59 PM »

Which version of the firmware are you using? Most Smart Hubs tend to ship with an old version and are then updated - though even the latest public version needs some work to it (including to the modem code) and there is a newer firmware version being tested.

Had it been a long time sinc your HG612 had last resynced? The hotter weather now can also cause the line attenuation to increase which also leads to slower speeds. If so, when you put the HG612 back on the line you are also likely to get lower speeds than before

The HH6 firmware was dated 12/5/16 - it did update itself from a previous version it was shipped with that had an April date.

Don't know the firmware number - being impatient I have now swapped out the HH6 again.

With the HG612/HH4 set up I historically have had an IP Profile of around 65/20 (I'll use round numbers for simplicity) for almost 3 years. The actual speed reported by the OR speed checker is normally around 63/14. There has been very little deviation. I have been lucky and had a very stable connection since OR fixed a major (and I mean major) problem with their ducts/wiring in our road over 3 years ago. Prior to that the connection was flaky (putting it kindly).

Before the very latest swap the OR speed checker reported the HH6 as having an IP profile of 59/20 with actual speed of 53/12. I then swapped the HG612/HH4 combination in again and the IP profile immediately improved to 62/20 and the actual speed to 59/13. The HH6 itself reports sync of 61/14 and maximum attainable rates of 60/14. I also checked the speed using another website and this validated the speeds indicated by the OR checker

It seems to me that my original surmise that the HH6 is junk may be correct.

I have managed to lose some of my previous connection speed and have also paid BT for the privilege.

bbnovice

• Reg Member
« Reply #163 on: July 22, 2016, 10:06:12 PM »

Update.

BT representative in faults dept has now agreed that the SmartHub is probably not performing properly and that my line/connection is not the cause of the speed fault. Without wanting to put words into peoples mouths, I got the distinct impression that I am not the only one who is reporting speed issues with the SmartHub. There was also an inference that it may perform better in the future - could that be taken to mean there is another firmware update being developed which may fix this? 

However I now have another problem.

I asked where to return the SmartHuib and asked for my money back.

He said don't bother to return it! Whats more he said that according to their system I had not been charged in the first place for the SmartHub. Thats not what my bill says !!!!!!!

So I now have another complaint in connection with getting my money back. You couldn't make this up!!!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 10:11:48 PM by bbnovice »

mlmclaren

• Reg Member
« Reply #164 on: July 25, 2016, 03:00:15 PM »

Well I'm well and truly hacked off with BT again....

Just looked at my account and its now had 2 charges applied for the hubs and their postage...

The BT care team have come back with they can't help me and that the new hub testing team have also got no answers either...

I don't remember signing up to a trial/beta test...

So I've just updated my open complaint regarding BT's terrible customer service with a demand for the duplicate order to be credited immediately and also a £50 goodwill gesture to cover the the cost of the new hub due to its status (being in testing stages still)

>:(
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12