Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12

Author Topic: New "BT Smart Hub"  (Read 70125 times)

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
Re: New "BT Smart Hub"
« Reply #135 on: July 11, 2016, 02:36:04 AM »

Interesting - I currently get the following 2G signal from the Smart Hub. Acrylic picked up over 35 different SSIDs here.

I use the 5G signal by preference but have several devices which don't support this (including this laptop) so end up using both. I do occasionally have WiFi issues but they are relatively infrequent and am sure they will be fixed in a future firmware fix.

MrBelter

« Reply #136 on: July 11, 2016, 03:17:31 PM »

Im not the most technically minded but i've never owned a router fail so bad on shields up, i am not sure of the security implications of it are but i was always lead to believe stealth for the lot was the way to go.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #137 on: July 11, 2016, 03:30:25 PM »

GRC's ShieldsUP! is a good tool for a quick, simple test. However it has been observed to produce false warnings "on the diagonal" (just like your example) when there is, in fact, no problem at all.

To be absolutely sure, the best way is to ask someone to perform a remote scan on your current (public) IP address.  ;)

(If you are looking in my direction, then a PM with your current IPv4 address is all I would need.  :)  )
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

MrBelter

« Reply #138 on: July 12, 2016, 10:30:52 AM »

Its ok thanks, makes no difference what the real state of them is because i am using it anyway lol

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #139 on: July 12, 2016, 05:33:35 PM »

Looking again at that image of the GRC ShieldsUP! result, I suspect those blue blocks should actually be green blocks. As for the three red blocks, I suspect that they are true.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #140 on: July 13, 2016, 05:05:16 PM »

Just noticed this on the BT forum on a post showing the hub stats.

ardsar

• Reg Member
New "BT Smart Hub"
« Reply #141 on: July 15, 2016, 02:09:59 PM »

The SNR is only updated every 24 hours. I know this because I have a line that fluctuates over a 24hr period and with the new Broadcom chipset my S/N drops over the first few days of usage. With the smart hub I connect with a S/N of 7db. After 24hrs it is then updated and usually reduces by 0.5 to 1 db. After a further 24 hours it then drops again by say 0.3 db. There are no changes to the value between the 24hour periods. Makes people think their lines a very stable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roswellgrey

« Reply #142 on: July 15, 2016, 03:02:32 PM »

Interesting marketing BT use for this ....

BT Smart Hub => "The UK's most powerful wi-fi signal"

Powerful meaning "having great power or strength"

Now RF tx power levels for 802.11 are regulated @ 20 dBm (100 mW) in the EU.
And this is post antenna gain i.e. it's EIRP (Equivalent isotropically radiated power)

So, for that claim to be true :

- either all the other manufacturers do not push their Wifi products (and by "product" I mean the system of power amp and antenna) to the legal maximum (which I seriously doubt)
 - the SmartHub is exceeding the legal EIRP (cannot be as it would fail Type Approval)
 - "powerful" is the wrong word - a good mix of diversity in the receive side could well make it more "effective", but not more "powerful" ?
 - or something else that I haven't thought of  ;D
Billion 8800NL

WesBez7

« Reply #143 on: July 15, 2016, 10:34:24 PM »

http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/tech-news/bt-smart-hub-6-router-wifi-11364068260249
By that they mark with a *
"*Compared to routers from other major broadband providers in the UK."

mlmclaren

• Reg Member
« Reply #144 on: July 15, 2016, 10:42:29 PM »

Shame... the TalkTalk router from next door is performing much better then isn't it...   :no:

mlmclaren

• Reg Member
« Reply #145 on: July 15, 2016, 10:52:55 PM »

In other news, things must be getting better.... the hub managed to reboot itself without getting stuck on the boot...

It's like a child using the potty unassisted for the first time.... hurray :no:

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #146 on: July 16, 2016, 12:35:11 AM »

Interesting marketing BT use for this ....

BT Smart Hub => "The UK's most powerful wi-fi signal"

Powerful meaning "having great power or strength"

BT have got their ASA defence already prepared- they published https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/lib/pdf/bt_smart_hub_test_report.pdf when they released the Smart Hub.

Geekofbroadband

• Reg Member
« Reply #147 on: July 16, 2016, 12:56:05 AM »

Surprised to see they compared it to Plusnet's Hub One aka the Home Hub 5

mlmclaren

• Reg Member
« Reply #148 on: July 16, 2016, 10:14:07 AM »

BT have got their ASA defence already prepared- they published https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/lib/pdf/bt_smart_hub_test_report.pdf when they released the Smart Hub.

I was joking...

Yes it's got good range, though it lacks in some area's at the moment 

roswellgrey

« Reply #149 on: July 17, 2016, 07:48:24 AM »

Their whole campaign is based on "The BT Smart Hub provides the UK’s most powerful wi-fi signal"
And yet that "Marketing claims substantiation" states "What do we measure?" => "The most important aspect of wi-fi for customers is their Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) throughput. "
Every metric quoted in that document is throughput. This purported "most powerful signal" is never mentioned r.e. ERP/RSSI and hence appears not to be a measured metric for this claim.

If I made AA NiMH batteries for a living, and I advertised it was the "most powerful" battery for it's type, I would get slapped if the mAh rate was lower than competitors products, because "power" in the context of a battery  = electrical power. Likewise, for an RF device, power = ERP, yet here we have a "most powerful signal" claim for a RF device, and the "substantiation" avoids this metric like the plague.

I am not knocking the product - it could well be a very efficient device - I just have a pet hate for marketing that leaps on buzz phrases without appearing to substantiate their claims properly  :(
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 08:20:17 AM by roswellgrey »
Billion 8800NL
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12

anything